roofracks - steel vs alloy

Submitted: Friday, Mar 22, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 861 Views:1504 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I'm about to buy a roofrack and quite unsure, if I should go for steel or alloy. ARB recommends steel, OL alloy. I need to put fuel jerry cans on it. Has anybody ever heard of/experienced cracks in the upper car body between windscreen and front door windows due to steel roofracks being less flexible and therefore putting enormous strain on these spots?
Additionally I would like to know from other Landcruiser 80S konstant 4WD owners about their experience with diff locks in addition to the LSD and the improvement in off-road capability.
All your advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tom
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross - Monday, Mar 25, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Mar 25, 2002 at 01:00
Tom
We have an ARB 2 x 1 meter steel roof basket on our pajero. It weighs 45 to 50 kgs, which is my main problem with it. It is awkward to lift onto the car, and in fact the local shop says that the best way is to suspend it from the carport and drive under and lower it down in position. Unfortunately we don't have a carport.

Its very sturdy, but I think I would look at an aluminium one next time around. The more weight you have up high (both gear and the rack) adds to the risk of roll-over. The rack is rated to 150kg, but I dont know about the sills. There is a load spreading bar that the supports sit on that is supposed to minimise damage to the sills.

Regards
Ross
AnswerID: 2505

Reply By: John R. - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2002 at 01:00
I've used both. Would go for alloy because of weight and durability. Steel racks will eventually rust leaving a mess on your roof.
AnswerID: 2511

Reply By: Bill Church - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2002 at 01:00
If you have a choice between the two, alloy would normally be the better, as the weight will be significantly less. This will cause less change in the Centre of Gravity of the vehicle with the rack unloaded and loaded. However, bear in mind that alloy is harder to repair than steel, so if the rack breaks somewhere out the back of beyond, the local roadhouse or other settlement may not have a MIG welder to fix it for you!

Bill
AnswerID: 2514

Reply By: tim - Wednesday, Mar 27, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Mar 27, 2002 at 01:00
Tom dont know about l/cruiser but l/r disco only has warrenty cover off road to a max 30 kilo of weight carried on roof. .I have alloy rack light and strong no problems
good travelling
tim
AnswerID: 2520

Sponsored Links