Remote area Next G telephone & Internet connection problems help please

Submitted: Saturday, May 07, 2011 at 20:57
ThreadID: 86126 Views:5378 Replies:6 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all....I am throughly confused..here is the situation

I am camped out the back of beyond and right on the fringe of the Telstra mobile coverage area

The antennae on the bullbar is a RFI CDQ2195 with the following frequencies
6.5 dBi & 3dBi
824-960MHz & 1710-2170MHz
This works a treat for the mobile phone and the USB air card (880U) for internet (2 bars)

On the caravan roof (steel framed but alloy clad) is a magnetic base holding a RFI CD2197 with the following frequencies
7.5dBi 3685 & GSM 900
3.0dBi GSM 1800 & 3G2100
This is connected to a Telsta 7.2 Home Network Gateway..........hopeless and I can only get a very weak signal showing Low but the computers cannot connect to the internet (once in 5 days and only briefly and unstable) If i connect the mobile phone to the antennae then I go from no service to getting a signal (weak but usable).trying the USB Air card same issue..no signal for intenet

Shift the Bullbar one (CDQ2195) onto the magnetic base on the roof of the 'van and the 7.2 Home Network Gateway still will not get the internet.....hook this antennae onto the Air card...get two bars and a stable signal (using it now to do this)

So it seems that

1 the 7.2 modem requires a stronger signal as it still wont work and the USB does
2. The CD2197 which I was sold as suitable for Telstra Next G phone and Interent is no damn good
3. Also are these antannae ground plane independant or is that irrelevant for this type of signal (as against UHF two way type antennae?

Please someone tell this very confused little vegemite what is going on...as it seems the only thing that is usable is a cheap USB patched to the CDQ2195...(as I said using this now)... and the wireless Network Gtaeway modem is signal hungry and useless for my purposes

What is the best antennae for remote fringe area internet / phone

Thanks all

Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: snoopyone - Saturday, May 07, 2011 at 21:05

Saturday, May 07, 2011 at 21:05
I used a MAXON BP-3 home modem. The old blue toaster modem that was all the go a few years ago.

Not fast but very reliable

Would connect anywhere the phone would.

Also has two attached aerials and the ability to connect to the outside one as well.

The 2195 covers all the bands so would be the best. I have one on the bullbar

If it works with the phone it should work with the modem as they use the same frequencies

Is not ground dependant as far as I know and I got signal and a call 45km out of Carnarvon

AnswerID: 453570

Follow Up By: paulnsw - Saturday, May 07, 2011 at 23:16

Saturday, May 07, 2011 at 23:16
All multi band aerials are useless crap in the low range frequencies. 45km is like a spit from a NextG tower. Start talking 100km to 200km for NextG then you are getting serious.
FollowupID: 726416

Reply By: PeterInSa - Saturday, May 07, 2011 at 22:07

Saturday, May 07, 2011 at 22:07
Re your " 2. The CD2197 which I was sold as suitable for Telstra Next G phone and Interent is no damn good "
and " If i connect the mobile phone to the antennae then I go from no service to getting a signal (weak but usable).

I would try a data pack on your next G phone and connect your laptop to the phone, see if that works with the CD2197 aerial. Only need to do it for a day or 2. with the Big T, $10 buys you a Gig for a month, no need to use a Gig or stay on for a month, but watch your pro rata usage.

I use this method (Next G/Laptop/Datapack) at home and when travelling, have mounted a Broom stick aerial probably the same as the one on your Bullbar on a Tent pole at the back of the van that I can raise when in remote areas.

When in really problem areas connect the Next G phone/laptop to the Broom stick aerial on the roof of the LC and travel to the highest hill in the area and communicate in the passenger seat, sometimes even running the engine for that little bit of extra voltage on the battery helps.

Peter
AnswerID: 453573

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, May 07, 2011 at 22:29

Saturday, May 07, 2011 at 22:29
Bungarra,

I'm not sure of the total impact this would have on what you are experiencing but Next G operates on 850 MHz so the bullbar antenna is fine but the van antenna is lacking.

When you swap antennas, how many "joins" are there along the cable from the roof of the van to the laptop? There might be just sufficient signal loss to produce the week reception.

Good luck....

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 453574

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, May 07, 2011 at 22:31

Saturday, May 07, 2011 at 22:31
Otherwise I think that your point 1, is a contributing factor as well.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 726409

Follow Up By: snoopyone - Saturday, May 07, 2011 at 22:57

Saturday, May 07, 2011 at 22:57
Telstra GSM runs on 900mhz as I found out when I bought an 850mhz GSM alarm and it wouldnt work

Swapped for a 900mhz one and it goes fine.

Next G is 850mhz
FollowupID: 726414

Follow Up By: paulnsw - Saturday, May 07, 2011 at 23:13

Saturday, May 07, 2011 at 23:13
The HNG modems are crap as all Netcomm modems and dont work on med/low signal strength or may if you are lucky be able to clear email. Look around for a second hand Maxon BP3 EXT and use that. Slow but they connect when nothing else will. You will be able to load web pages and email. You wont find experienced fringe workers or travellers using Netcomm crap.
You are using multi band aerials which are useless on the low end frequencies. The aerials you have are suited to difficult signal areas in the city and suburbs and not long range in country areas. You need a NextG dedicated aerial of suitable size. The ZCG Scaler AN1600 The AN1600 is long and good place is above the awning facing backwards and you need a support to prevent it flapping in the wind towards the end.
FollowupID: 726415

Follow Up By: snoopyone - Saturday, May 07, 2011 at 23:18

Saturday, May 07, 2011 at 23:18
My Telstra home network gateway is actually a Thomson and isnt the best either.

As I said in the first reply a Maxon will do the job.

In opposition to your comments my RFI 2195 was excellent in receiving signal in fringe areas. It was used with an inductive car cradle and a Nokia 6120.

Later when I got an Iphone 3GS the reception wasnt as good but I blame the Iphone not the aerial
FollowupID: 726417

Follow Up By: paulnsw - Saturday, May 07, 2011 at 23:33

Saturday, May 07, 2011 at 23:33
We are talking 3G WIRELESS modems not ADSL modems DUH

You would not have a clue how useless your RFI2195 was compared to a decent aerial when you had nothing to measure or compare. The dumb ill informed comments and information you get posted here is alarming.
FollowupID: 726418

Follow Up By: snoopyone - Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 08:21

Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 08:21
Similar to the ones about using 10 amp ends on 15 amp cables.
FollowupID: 726430

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 08:59

Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 08:59
paulnsw,

Since your post is a followup to mine I assume your rash, all-encompassing criticism is directed at me as well.

A very helpful, positive, supportive contribution paul.

Are you single?

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 726439

Follow Up By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 09:38

Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 09:38
paulnsw

were you brought up properly, or just kicked in the arse and told to get up?
Rude comments like yours are worse than 'dumb ill informed 'comments. wouldn't have a clue whether your comments are informed or not, just know your manners are very poor.

Dave

FollowupID: 726445

Follow Up By: Witi Repartee - Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 19:02

Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 19:02
Now now children...play nicely.
Remember behavior breeds behavior...so speak to others as you would like to be spoken to.
FollowupID: 726483

Follow Up By: paulnsw - Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 22:54

Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 22:54
The uneducated can never comprehend technical knowledge outside 1+1 and to bone lazy and insufficient intelligence and incapable to do basic research. Go back to play kiddies in the sand pit.
FollowupID: 726509

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, May 09, 2011 at 09:01

Monday, May 09, 2011 at 09:01
So you are single....

Doesn't surprise me.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 726532

Follow Up By: snoopyone - Monday, May 09, 2011 at 09:28

Monday, May 09, 2011 at 09:28
Another valuable contribution to the thread
FollowupID: 726535

Reply By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 10:31

Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 10:31
Hi bungarra. Bit of a pity that the thread has degenerated into a slanging match.
I travel with a 7.2 gateway modem and a Turbo USB. Mostly they both work but sometimes one will and the other won't. I have reached the conclusion that much depends on the adequacy of Telstra's facilities in the area. I have never been able to establish a pattern. I have an antenna the same as the one on your van roof which I mount on a bracket on the pop top. I have only tried to use it once and it did not help.
I find that wireless is not always reliable and simply won't work in some places. At some locations my wireless printer will not work at all. Move to another location and everything is fine. Computer to modem communication seems to be effected the same way at times.
I often find that I can't get any speed at night but it is normally OK in the morning. And I always try to be in town if I have important things to do.
Cheers, Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 453605

Follow Up By: snoopyone - Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 19:17

Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 19:17
Tentative comment in view of assasination attempts previously.

Wouldnt your wireless printer work on WI Fi not Next G. The second aerial OP has isnt the right one I dont think.

Yes I did make a boo boo about my Gateway but thats life Wasnt quite awake.

Still doesnt make it any better though Telstra Rubbish. My older Linksys one is far better.
FollowupID: 726485

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 19:40

Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 19:40
snoopyone, you are absolutely safe from assassination from me.

My comment about the printer was to demonstrate the idiosyncrasies of wireless. Yes, of course it is wi fi and not Next G. But I have also been in locations where the computer would not communicate with the 7.2 modem only to come good at the next location.
We were in a certain caravan park at North Canberra that is located between, and close to, the studios of the two commercial networks. Wireless communication, particularly at night, was hopeless.

Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 726488

Follow Up By: snoopyone - Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 19:49

Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 19:49
Yep tis true have trouble in my new house with Wi Fi due to the type of insulation in the walls.

Cant get any phone reception either due to the same problem,yet the tower is under 2 k away.
Have an old Maxon modem that worked in most places which I have to get rid of shortly as well
FollowupID: 726490

Reply By: Member - Duke (TAS) - Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 23:43

Sunday, May 08, 2011 at 23:43
Hi,
Have a look at the link below, it may be what you are after.
A very interesting site.
Duke

http://www.tigereye.net.au/vk4ion/nextg_yagi.html
AnswerID: 453687

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Tuesday, May 10, 2011 at 21:49

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 at 21:49
Thanks to all of you that contributed r.......I am now back in town and can inform all of the following facts....as tested....in the field over a period of 10 days encompassing a range of conditions

FACT 1 We are talking Telstra Next G
2. Using a RFI 2195 stick
3. A remote area on the fringe of reception
4. Straight through connection...that is the fme connector straight from the antennae to the device (devices under test)....NO Joins
5. The 7.2 Home network Gateway failed to access the interent 99% of the time
6. The USB Air Card 880U worked randomly showing 1 or 2 bars but failed 90% of the time...and the times it did connect it was unstable and dropped out
7. Connecting through a mobile phone (T90) worked 100% of the time and gave a stable internet connection
8. The phones always worked on the patch lead with strong signal
9. A prepaid USB ($79) worked perfectly on the patch lead
10. Conclusions?.........perhaps the older modems are simply not as good as the current ones and these older ones are simply a damn signal waste land
PS..both these two (7.2 and Air card) work fine at home in an average signal area
11. I called into a Telstra shop (Kalgoorlie) and explained to the "technician' the girls dragged from out the back what my experience was and asked for help/explanation.....and he basically thought my tests were inconclusive and disputed my findings !....at least he wasnt Indian!...but might as well as been

I purchased the cheap $79 pre paid and ignored him......thanks again to those who contibuted positively

Cheers
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 453902

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, May 10, 2011 at 21:59

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 at 21:59
and how was the new van?

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 726730

Follow Up By: snoopyone - Tuesday, May 10, 2011 at 22:15

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 at 22:15
Buy a Maxon BP-3 off Ebay and your troubles will be over

Mine were after having several different USB versions that were useless.
FollowupID: 726735

Sponsored Links