tyre help required, Duratrak ??? MTR Kevlar?????

Submitted: Monday, May 09, 2011 at 18:37
ThreadID: 86165 Views:1875 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

I had a great run with the old type MTR goodyear tyres and wish they were still made!

But now what? Duratrak??? i am told good miles but not as tough as old MTR's.
MTR Kevlars, tougher then old MTR's but poor milage?????

I know everyone gets sick of thye thing but any comments would be appreciated.

Regards
GN
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RobAck - Monday, May 09, 2011 at 20:37

Monday, May 09, 2011 at 20:37
We have been running the MTR with Kevlar and Silent Armours on test for the last year with excellent results by our standards. Silent Armours have done over 50,000km and are about half worn and they have been everywhere and no punctures so very impressed and these are the 112 load rating only. Our MTRwK have done around 20,000km off bitumen and are not showing any sign of real wear. Noisy, compared to our D694LT on bitumen but no surprise given the difference in design of both tyres. But off-bitumen the MTRwK are the best tyre we have used. Capable of running very low pressures under heavy loads means we get an extra gear out of them

As with all tyre discussions it all depends on what you are looking for in them. Our recommendation for an all rounder is either the D694 (LT) or the Silent Armour in LT rating. This is particularly important if your 4WD is a daily drive. If not then the MTRwK is our pick

We don't really care about mileage as our tyres are replaced at 50% worn as we continually operate in remote areas and I hate punctures. Saying that we can also guarantee there is no such thing as a puncture proof tyre

Regards

RobA
AnswerID: 453771

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Monday, May 09, 2011 at 22:08

Monday, May 09, 2011 at 22:08
Hi Rob A

thanks for help

from the good year site, the only silent armour size in LT = •LT225/75R16 115R

i am kind of hell bent on having LT

also i cannot see that any of the MTR kevlars are LT?????

i run the 694LT on our road based cruiser and think they are great but dont think they are quite agressive enough for our black clay country.

what do you think and please tell me where i am wrong.

regards
GN
FollowupID: 726621

Follow Up By: RobAck - Tuesday, May 10, 2011 at 07:53

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 at 07:53
There seems to be some confusion on how to identify an LT tyre. If you look at the load rating this is the most important criteria.

For example a 112 (?) etc is a relatively normal load rating for a 4WD tyre and is found on Prado. We run Bridgestone D694 AT's on ours which are have a 118 load rating so a heavier and stronger tyre and at that rating are a true LT

The same applies to the Goodyears and having checked their 4WD micro site could not find any LT or AT precursor markings in their size chart

The comments on the Duratrac are along the lines of what we have found with clients who have selected this tyre. But we have no direct experience of the tyre so cannot offer comment from experience

Regards

RobA

FollowupID: 726637

Reply By: eighty matey - Monday, May 09, 2011 at 21:28

Monday, May 09, 2011 at 21:28
Hi G N,

I went had a set of the old MTRs on my 80 series and got 80,000 kms out of them with few problems.
I was going to replace them with the same before a trip to The Cape last year and they had changed to the new MTRs. I saw a set of Duratraks in the Beaurepaire store and after a quick think I bought four. I liked how they were the same size and a similar tread pattern to the old MTRs. That was good because I bought a set of four and used my best two skins as spares.
That trip we did 9500 kms in five weeks with no troubles. The 80 series was fully loaded and we travelled from NSW Central Coast through Western Qld to The Cape via Normanton and home through Emerald and Moree. Christmas we did 3000 kms from Central Coast to Lake Cargellico and Menindee Lakes, Broken Hill, Silverton, up the Dingo Fence to Cameron Corner and home through Bourke and Warren.
We have not had a problem even with low pressures and big load, hot weather, crossing lava headlands and rocky rivers. They are quieter than the MTRs and handle well on the road (but the 80 series constant 4wd may cover up things, not sure).
I use the vehicle as my daily drive, often towing a work trailer, often freeway running. I'm highly impressed with them and I'm seriously considering getting another set. So far I've got 50,000kms on them. They seem to be wearing more than the MTRs at the same stage but I will replace the tyres before my next trip regardless.

I hope this helps.

eighty matey.
AnswerID: 453777

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Monday, May 09, 2011 at 22:00

Monday, May 09, 2011 at 22:00
Hi 80 matey

thanks for info

50 000km sounds pretty good.

i have just realised on the good year site that the new ones are NOT LT rated which i kind i had in my head as a requirement but maybe not important??

Regards
GN
FollowupID: 726619

Follow Up By: eighty matey - Monday, May 09, 2011 at 23:06

Monday, May 09, 2011 at 23:06
I told the Beaurepaire manager what the tyres were to be used for and he assured me they were more than adequate (but he was there selling tyres too). I'd never heard of them until I saw them in the store. I hate selecting tyres and usually spend weeks comparing different brands and reading reviews. To suddenly find these and have them fitted within half an hour was a shock to the system but I've been more than happy with them on and off road. I really liked the MTRs and was keen to get another set up to that morning.

Best of luck,

Steve.
FollowupID: 726626

Sponsored Links