The Cost of Aftermarket Shockies !

Submitted: Friday, Mar 22, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 862 Views:1634 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Good day there. The time came for me to replace the shocks on my 100 series. I started getting some quotes to replace them and almost went into melt down. Not having unlimited funds, but wanting the best for MY application I started looking.

I started at the top with Koni adjustables ($442.00 pr), Rancho's RS9000 ($350.00 pr), Nitrochargers ($250.00 pr), Monroe Gas Magnums ($198.00 )pr and SURPRISE, SURPRISE, original Toyota ($155.92 pr, All prices quoted in Tasmania).

Are original Japanese shocks so bad they have to be sold at a huge discount to move them, or is it that the alleged top shocks last nearly 3 times as long as the originals before they fade or break (mine have just covered 100,000 k's), or am I and the 4WD consumers being whitewashed by very clever marketing and advertising?

I have sucummed and just ordered a full set of Rancho RS9000's, but I feel knumbed by the experience. Is this just me or do others feel the same?

Please let me know it's not just me! Cheers, From someone waiting for the next thing to wear out!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alex - Friday, Mar 22, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Mar 22, 2002 at 01:00
G'day,
not being a 100 series owner, I can't comment on the original shockies fitted to them, but in my experience
original shocies are at best a compromise, and while they do last a fair while, their damping leaves a lot to be desired.
The originals on my (coil sprung) 4wd were not gas pressurised, and only had rebound damping. Not surprisingly
they faded very quickly on corrugations or rough tracks. I replaced them (at about 100 000km, and still working fine) with monroe gas magnums which totally
transformed the vehicle. It now rides and handles much better than before, and I have never regretted the purchase.
I hope you are similarly pleased with your choice. Cheers, Alex
AnswerID: 2474

Reply By: All Terrain 4WD Adventures - Friday, Mar 22, 2002 at 01:00

Peter,

I have fitted Bisltein Shocks and King springs to my 100 Series and as a package about $1100.00 I think. These products are excellent giving long travel when needed and good handling on road. I would recommend them to anyone and I think they are good value for money. The one thing you haven't mentioned is you type of 4WDriving this makes a big difference in your setup. Let us know and we can go from there.

Stuart.
AnswerID: 2475

Reply By: John - Friday, Mar 22, 2002 at 01:00

I just picked up my 100 series this afternoon after having fitted King springs and Konis all round. It had 55k on the clock. The handling has improved no end on the road. I expect the same off road and look forward to the Easter break.
AnswerID: 2477

Reply By: Nigel - Friday, Mar 22, 2002 at 01:00

In my experience you be crazy to spend money on a second set of genuine shocks. They are designed to cope with speed bumps in the supermarket carpark. They aren't even very good on the highway. If anyone is fleecing the customers it is the vehicle manufacturers who design inadequate suspension systems.
AnswerID: 2482

Reply By: Peter Gordon - Friday, Mar 22, 2002 at 01:00

Thanks to everyone who replied, but the point is, how do the premium shock suppliers justify the exhorbitant prices they charge. We all know OE shocks are a big compromise at best, but are the manufacturing costs that different? I haven't heard any stories of Toyota OE shocks tearing their eyes or studs out, or pulling apart, as I have with comparable priced budget shocks! If the you beaut after market shocks lasted for 150,000 km I wouldn't complain, but my experience with many brands of shocks is the best of the shock is gone about the same time as the new tyres wear out! Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? And while on this forum, most other spare parts fall into this category too! Cheers.
AnswerID: 2484

Reply By: David- Saturday, Mar 23, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Mar 23, 2002 at 01:00
Peter I would be really interested to know how your vehicle responds to the Ranchos after you have fitted them, I am also thinking about fitting these shockers to my vehicle.
thanks David
AnswerID: 2488

Follow Up By: Peter Gordon - Saturday, Mar 23, 2002 at 01:00

Certainly will David, for the money I'm paying I have EXTREME exectations. They have been ordered and should arrive & be fitted by mid next week.
FollowupID: 922

Follow Up By: Peter Gordon - Saturday, Mar 23, 2002 at 01:00

Certainly will David, for the money I'm paying I have EXTREME exectations. They have been ordered and should arrive & be fitted by mid next week.
FollowupID: 923

Reply By: Nigel - Monday, Apr 08, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Apr 08, 2002 at 00:00
I don't think the price difference between OE and real shocks is due to manufacturing costs. It's due to volume of sales. The more volume of a product that you sell, the less effect setup and overhead costs have on the final price.
AnswerID: 2681

Sponsored Links