Rear storage unit - drawer length

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 12:41
ThreadID: 8620 Views:4847 Replies:9 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
We're in the process of drawing up some plans for a rear storage system including fridge slide. I've noticed that the drawers in the commercially made units we've looked at don't fully extend, so I'm wondering if those who have such a system could tell me approx. how much of the drawer is left unextended and whether or not this has proved to be a pain.

Reason I ask is that the leads we have on heavy duty drawer runners are about $40/pair for 50kg capacity with extension of 650mm. Because we need to access child restraint points on the floor the max. drawer length we can have is 750mm which means we'd have 100mm of unextended drawer space. Yes, I can source longer runners in almost any length up to about a 1 metre but once we go over the 650mm the price jumps up by another $100/pair.

Note that I am talking about the drawer runners here and not the fridge slide.

:o) Melissa
Petrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
http://members.westnet.com.au/flatdog
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 12:49

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 12:49
Melissa...are you talking about the bits that slide in and out...[so technical I know] if so..could you email me at

grierson @ hotkey.net.au

Fearr an mhaith atá ná an dá mhaith do bhí

AnswerID: 37799

Reply By: Cruisergxl - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 13:15

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 13:15
Hi Melissa,

The draws that I made don't fully extend either, they still remain in by about 100mm.

I've not found this a problem at all. If you do have a problem then re-pack the draws so that you have short things at the back (tins of food etc come out easy).

I went for the more expensive runners one for the length and two because they carry a lot more weight. I made deep draws so I can get plenty in them!

Enjoy,

Chris
AnswerID: 37800

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 13:52

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 13:52
Thanks Chris,

I felt it wouldn't be a problem but never hurts to ask. I'm confident 50kg capacity for the drawers will be more than ample considering what we expect to carry in them. Looking at 100kg, fully extending runners for the fridge slide.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
FollowupID: 27408

Follow Up By: Cam - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 14:03

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 14:03
Chris,
What have you constructed your draws out of. Sheet metal, timber or ply. If out of wood does the combined thickness of it take up a large amount of room in the back ???
FollowupID: 27410

Follow Up By: Cruisergxl - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 09:06

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 09:06
I built mine out of ply. Using 20mm for the top and sides to take all the weight I expected I would put on them and 9mm for the draws themselves. However on hindsight this was a bit over the top as they weigh a tonne! If you have the skills and the equipment it might be lighter to do them from sheet metal.

I haven't found the thickness of wood to be a problem though I guess it depends on how much you need to maximise the space. There are only two of us so loosing a few mm of space to the thickness of the wood wasn't an issue.

If you do go for wood you might think twice before varnishing it, I did all of mine to protect the wood and then carpetted the outside but it takes forever to loose the smell or varnish especially on a hot day.

On the plus side though they are bloody marvellous!!

If you need any more info or pics, happy to help.

Cheers,

Chris
FollowupID: 27491

Reply By: Member - JohnR - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 13:46

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 13:46
Melissa, my drawer runner system is fully extendable and always a little left behind in the drawer sockets of the actual drawer.

We have a fridge slide/drawer runner that is 5' long going across our box and realise it does not apply in your case. It is said to have a 150Kg capacity!! (no doubt when closed) You don't want to know costs on that anyway I would imagine. I could find out if needed.

John
AnswerID: 37805

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 13:57

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 13:57
Thanks John,

We're looking at 100kg capacity, fully extending runners for the fridge slide. Actually this is a bit of overkill for our 39L engel (commercial slides range between 65-75kg's for 40L engels) but very little $ saved by going for 65kg runners instead. Best price I have so far for the 100kg runners is ~$160 although I'm still shopping around.

FollowupID: 27409

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 16:30

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 16:30
Melissa, have phoned about the runner/slide and is an Accuride system only recently available here at $500 for the ones I have fitted for the weight carrying capacity. Had not realised it was so expensive!!

As far as we are concerned, it is teriffic to have the capability to pull it out so far for the fridge and stove. I was looking to make up a system with heavy rollers, but this is far tidier.

Hope the link works below my first trail

enquiries can be by email meonvalley*@*hotmail.com removing obvious there

Accuride link I hope
FollowupID: 27429

Reply By: Tony - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 14:31

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 14:31
When I pack my drawers (makes you wonder aye) I use a couple of plactic boxes to put things in, that way you can lift them in and out when needed. As they empty pack with linen etc to stop things getting tossed around.

Nearest the back of the vehicle the L/H draw has a divider for the cups tea/coffee, plates, fighting gear and all that sort of stuff.

When stopping for a brew the cutting board covers part of the draw as a table, works well for us.
AnswerID: 37813

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 14:33

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 14:33
Some good idea's there Tony. Thanks!

FollowupID: 27414

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 15:13

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 15:13
Just checked ours 750mm long , full access.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 37817

Reply By: bruce.h (WA) - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 16:03

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 16:03
hi melissa
we have roller draw set up in our gu with fridge slide & the biggist problemwas putin the baby seat in. we achieved this by leaving the mount under the draws & using an extension strap which come s out under the draw system so far the only problem is that the baby seat is on the drivers side of the vehicle
.Regards Bruce
AnswerID: 37828

Reply By: cruiser - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 16:27

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 16:27
My understanding of the "load" capacity (or rating) of these runners is for when they are closed, and NOT extended.

If this is the case, then runners with a rating of 100Kg, might not be able to take the load of a fully laden fridge (which might weight 40/50Kg or more depending on type) when extended.

I would be checking it out if it was me.

AnswerID: 37832

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 17:26

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 17:26
Cruiser,

Your comment sent off alarm bells so I phoned both Hafele and Hettich about their specs. They both said that capacities shown are tested at the load weight specified over a large number (meaning thousands) of "cycles". ie. sliding in and out, in and out etc.

FollowupID: 27432

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 19:30

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 19:30
Cruiser, reckon you are spot on mate. Would hate to put my weight on the end of the slide when out. 150 Kg rating is not for then. Will be interested after many hours of corrugations as it is teriffic right now

John
FollowupID: 27449

Reply By: Brian - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 20:29

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 20:29
Melissa,
I used a Hettich roller system for our fridge slide.. mine is the 900mm version.. cost about $100 dollars or thereabouts... rated at 100kgs extended.. we had our fully loaded 70litre Trailblaza on it recently for a 5 day Fraser tour and it was fine... there was no hint of it not being strong enough!!!
Our set up of one drawer and slide is on our web site on the accessories page..... I have the site down at the moment while I fix a few things but it should be back up in a day or two.... it will be here!

Cheers
Brian
AnswerID: 37851

Reply By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 22:29

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 22:29
G'day Melissa,
A couple of options. How handy are you with timber as I recall a post a while back where you said you like playing around with wood.
My current drawers are made from 12mm MDF board sides, front and back with 10mm MDF base. Not overly heavy. I just run them on heavy duty laminex strips about 25mm wide fixed at outside edges of base. I have welded 25mm x 25mm steel angle to the framework and also glued the laminex strips to them also. That way Laminex slides on laminex. You can spray a silicon spray if you find it too hard but we don't.
The drawers are glued with maxbond (in tube) and screwed together. Done half a dozen trips in rough terrain and never a problem. Another tip is to make your food drawer at least 250mm to 300mm high so that most packets/bottles etc will stand up.
The second option is to make your drawer runners up yourself and buy 25mm roller bearings. Same shape as the slides you buy but make them to your own length. Much cheaper.ne cede malis
AnswerID: 37873

Sponsored Links