Different Redarc Question

Submitted: Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 15:48
ThreadID: 86298 Views:3897 Replies:6 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
Put new batteries in Cruiser a few weeks ago and have not been using it much.

After 3 weeks car wont start BOTH batteries flat as.

Charged them up with a Ctek each separately and they were fine

Now 2 1/2 weeks later flat again

Decided today to try the relay trick in the Redarc earth wire.

Heres what happens.

With car running and red light on earth wire has NO voltage.

Turn the car off and at both the teminal with the blue wire and the earth

terminal on the Redarc has 13 volts going straight to earth

Even bypassing the relay it still has voltage going straight to earth

Doesnt seem right to me.

Apart from the new batteries nothing has changed except the earth terminal was slightly loose on the black box and I had to tighten it up today.

Some helpful advice would be appreciated
Thanks In advance

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: oldtrack123 - Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 16:23

Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 16:23
Hi
Has the Redarc been working Ok in the past or has it recently been fitted???

They do draw a small current even when engine is OFF & this is via the main battery positive connection & earth so a VOLTAGE between black & earth is normal
The blue wires are for the "start assist" feature do you have this fitted& with a switch??
With the AUX battery disconnected & engine not running do you have a voltage between the aux terminal on the Redarc & earth?[turn headlights on for a few minutes before checking[

Peter
AnswerID: 454366

Follow Up By: snoopyone - Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 16:42

Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 16:42
It is about 3 years old and seemed to be working OK.
My 4 year old batteries went flat and I charged them up and took them for testing and they were pretty tired so put 2 new Centuries in.

3 weeks late BOTH were dead flat.

Now its happened again.
I do have the button on the dash and also have a relay activated by the starter wire to pull them both in when starting.

With Aux discon I still have 13 v at both the little terminals on top of the unit
That is the start assist termianl and the earth terminal. The newly installed relay is stopping the voltage going to earth but if I put the original earth wire in I would have a dead short to earth from the unit.

This has probably been draing the batteries I guess but IS THE UNIT FAULTY by doing this

The extra relay activated by the starter wire is presently disconnected from the power wire to activate it
FollowupID: 727189

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 19:02

Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 19:02
Hi Snoopy
RE:"With Aux discon I still have 13 v at both the little terminals on top of the unit
That is the start assist termianl and the earth terminal. The newly installed relay is stopping the voltage going to earth but if I put the original earth wire in I would have a dead short to earth from the unit. ""

For the black [earth ] terminal that would be quite normal & if it was a dead short that wire would melt
Are you sure your start assist switch is not switched on or faulty ?
Try disconnecting it then reconnect while listening , do you hear the Redarc operate
If the redarc is permanently on it will flatten BOTH batteries over a week or two.

Peter

FollowupID: 727207

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 19:07

Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 19:07
Hi Snoopy
Re:"I do have the button on the dash and also have a relay activated by the starter wire to pull them both in when starting" you should also check that RELAY It may be stuck on!!

Peter
FollowupID: 727208

Follow Up By: snoopyone - Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 19:43

Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 19:43
Ok been out and checked all wiring. The relay that hauls both together has the power wire to activate it disconnected.

The wire from the aux battery to that relay has 5.? volts on it as that battery is dead flat.

The wire that goes from the other side of that relay to the blue wire has 13 v on it.

I thought it should have none till the relay pulls in to activate it from Aux battery and supply 12 v to activate the redarc.

The two little terminals both have 13 volts on them which would give a dead short to earth without the relay I installed today.

The readarc LED is not on and any amount of disconnecting and reconnecting wires makes no difference. No clicks at all

The dash button doesnt work as I cut one wire off it when I put the relay in and the wire goes direct from aux battery to the relay.
Seems the short was the problem hopefully.
The wire however did not get hot but I see the aux battery ahs been venting liquid as there is mist around the caps
FollowupID: 727211

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 16:44

Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 16:44
Hi Snoopyone,
Sounds like there is a problem with the controller.

Try hooking your ign wire to activate the solenoid and do away with the controller for a couple of weeks and see what happens. If batteries don't go flat then controller is at fault I would say.

There probably won't be excessive current across the solenoid at startup due to the ign closing the contacts a split second before the starter contacts close. Therefore no arc on the isolator contacts at start.

The only way I can think of to test the controller as they are sealed.

As I said in that other thread I don't use a controller on my setup at the moment and it works well. I sometimes question their need given my experience.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 454370

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 16:53

Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 16:53
The other thread I was referring to was thread # 86278.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 727190

Follow Up By: snoopyone - Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 16:55

Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 16:55
What I Intend to do is unhook the wires from the Redarc and just bolt them together and see what Happens

That after all is how the Toyotas are originally anyway.

I dont think it should run voltage to earth when its turned off..

FollowupID: 727191

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, May 16, 2011 at 07:40

Monday, May 16, 2011 at 07:40
Snoopy, All these controllers will have some voltage going through them as the controller circuit continually monitors the voltage in the main battery. The current dissipated is small. The controllers have to be on all the time to monitor. then when required they will switch the solenoid on, I know you know this but i am clarifying the bleed to earth from the controller. If your problem is not related to recent changes to your system that you have done then I would isolate the controller for a week or two to see if it is the controller at fault. This means you can still charge the main battery and see if it runs down. If it does that would indicate a fault somewhere else.

By charging both batteries and isolating them you can also get a better picture of just where the fault is. That is, is it in the controller, aux battery and circuit or in the main vehicle circuitry.

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 727246

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 17:47

Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 17:47
Ummm ... At the risk of discussing the blindingly obvious ....

Is the red light on all the time, even with the engine and ignition key off?

Reason I ask is I helped a guy with a Patrol at Kingfisher Camp not so long ago. His problem was the same as yours - batteries slowly going flat.

Turned out his "professionally" installed (by an auto sparkie!) second battery system had the redarc incorrectly wired so that it was energised all the time with the red light on, even with the key off. An energised 100amp Redarc isolator draws about half an amp - enough to pull down a battery given sufficient time.

We re-wired and rationalised the whole second battery system (it was a mess) and made the Redarc work as it should, and in a couple of days he was off, happy as.

Perhaps you could be so lucky?

Cheers

Frank

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 454377

Follow Up By: snoopyone - Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 17:52

Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 17:52
Dont think so as it has been working for nearly 3 years and has just lately I have been having battery trouble.

I installed it all myself and it worked fine.

What did you do to fix it
FollowupID: 727199

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 23:27

Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 23:27
Snoopy,

He had two solenoids, one was the Redarc and the other a slave to isolate his Anderson at the back so that the camper battery would be disconnected from the car's aux battery when the engine was off.

We wired his Redarc conventionally to the crank battery and the aux, and took a feed from the live side of the Redarc coil to the slave solenoid so that the slave only came on when the Redarc came on.

From the sound of all your replies and follow-ups to other posters, and the fact that it was working for 3 years, it doesn't sound like a wiring problem - more like a component failure.

Without looking at your system it's a bit hard to tell, but try the following.

Have you done any mods, added stuff that might be causing an inadvertent back feed that is holding the Redarc on. Been there, done that!!

Have you checked the operation of the Redarc, ie that when the red light is off there is no voltage going to the live side of the solenoid coil (small terminal underneath the module). Disconnect everything from the output side of the Redarc, so it's only connected to the crank battery. Also bypass your earth relay that you just installed so that the Redarc is earthed normally. If there is a nominal 12V on the live side of the coil when the light is off then the Redarc module is faulty.

When the red light is off, is the Redarc physically releasing? With the disconnections as above, the large terminal connected to your crank battery should have 12v (nominal) on it, ie between it and earth, the other large terminal should have nothing. If they both have 12V (nominal) then maybe the Redarc has mechanically seized and cannot release properly, or the contacts otherwise stuck together (welded from a short somewhere - a long shot admittedly)

If the above checks out ok, then I'm out of ideas, sorry.

Frank

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 727237

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 23:31

Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 23:31
Sorry, forgot to add ..

In the above tests, switch off or disconnect the start assist.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 727238

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 23:53

Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 23:53
Gee, I wish there was an edit function here!!

"From the sound of all your replies and follow-ups to other posters, and the fact that it was working for 3 years, it doesn't sound like a wiring problem - more like a component failure."

Could be that start assist and/or your wiring for it. Disconnect it completely - unplug it at the Redarc - and see how your batteries go then.

Frank
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 727240

Reply By: snoopyone - Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 18:22

Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 18:22
Checked start assist wire and has only 6.5 v so checked aux battery and has the same so it has run both down really flat
AnswerID: 454383

Reply By: KenInPerth - Monday, May 16, 2011 at 01:53

Monday, May 16, 2011 at 01:53
Snoopyone

I will throw my bit in and hopefiully this may be of some help and simplify it a bit.

First the basic wiring is in this link
http://redarc.com.au/handy-hints/wiring-guides/basic-sbi-install

The isolator has only 3 terminals you are really interestd in - the 2 battery cable terminals Main and Aux, and the Earth (casing of Redarc and the black wire) - disconnect the Blue wire for the testing.

The black wire is always going to be 0Volt as it should be earthed to chassis.

If I was testing it I would do this

1. disconnect the Blue wire so it is not a factor in this testing

2. with system non-operational (car stopped and isolator not connecting the 2 batteries) you should read (to earth) the starting battery voltage on the Main terminal and the house battery voltage on the Aux terminal (even if that is only 6V or whatever at the monment) - make sure the starting battery voltage is less than the cut in voltage of the Redarc (13.2V) which it would normally be.

3. with the system operational (car started and starting battery voltage at the cut in voltage for the Redarc (13.2V or higher??) you should see the same voltage on both Main and Aux terminals which means the isolator has conencted the 2 batteries together.

If you still measure different voltages on each terminal then you have to assume a faulty Redarc I would suggest.
OR
if your main starting battery is not reaching the cut in voltage (13.2V) then the Redarc is never going to connect the Aux battery up for charging and you would suspect a fault in your car charging system (which would normally be around the 14.4V from the alternator).

The critical bit is that the Redarc must have the cut in voltage at the Main terminal and the Redarc must be solidly Earthed.

Ken
AnswerID: 454417

Follow Up By: snoopyone - Monday, May 16, 2011 at 07:55

Monday, May 16, 2011 at 07:55
Car stopped ign off

With the starting battery charged and connected I have 13 .6 volts on that terminal and none on the aux battery terminal

The blue wire has 13.6 v and so does the earth wire. which to me is not correct as I would have thought the aux battey would supply the voltage to the blue wire not the other way around.

Also the earth wire terminal should not have a voltage reading on it??????

Car presumably is charging as I have used it occasionally and after a run it starts fine.

It is just when it sits for a bout 10 days they both go flat like it has an earth lleak somewhere.
FollowupID: 727247

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Monday, May 16, 2011 at 10:00

Monday, May 16, 2011 at 10:00
Hi Snoopy
A quick question , when you say the black wire has 13.6v on it ,IS THAT WITH IT CONNECTED TO EARTH & WHERE ARE YOU TESTING IT TO???
If it is still connected to earth then it cannot have voltage to earth!!unless the connection is very BAD,
Take BOTH Blue wires out of picture, disconnect both @ the Redarc .
Disconnect the aux bat @ the Redarc

Now
[1]check from Redarc aux terminal to earth, do you have voltage?
If no ,that is OK

If yes then you may have a problem with the Redarc contacts stuck on.

This would account for not hearing any sound as it closes
Redarc needs replacing

If [1] is OK then
[2] leave voltmeter connected to aux term & earth ,Start engine, run @ idle, initially there should be no voltage @ aux terminal but when main battery reachs approx 13.6v voltage should appear @ aux terminal

This may only take a few seconds if start battery is well charged, so you may ned some help , some one to start engine while you observe meter

Peter
FollowupID: 727261

Reply By: TTTSA - Monday, May 16, 2011 at 09:15

Monday, May 16, 2011 at 09:15
Best advice I can give you is ring Redarc this morning and chat to them, you will speak to someone who knows this product inside out. They have one of the best after sales service I have come across. I live only up the road 10km and have been there a few times for help. Nothing they don't know about their product.

Peter
AnswerID: 454428

Follow Up By: snoopyone - Monday, May 16, 2011 at 09:26

Monday, May 16, 2011 at 09:26
Have done that and am trying a few things

Thanks
FollowupID: 727256

Follow Up By: KenInPerth - Monday, May 16, 2011 at 10:29

Monday, May 16, 2011 at 10:29
So many possibilities it is hard to give you a "do this" or "do that".

As per Peter's advice (removing the Aux battery and Blue wire and the fact that the black has to read 0V if earthed properly) my first thought was that maybe you were not measuring the black to Earth as Peter suggests - if you measured it to the battery then yes you would see the 13.6V.

Also, is 13.6 not a little high for battery with car off - I would expect about 12.6V on a good battery open circuit voltage - so maybe your meter is not too accurate in that regard - not critical unless you want to know exactly what your charging voltage is with car running (as in if you had a fault in the car charging circuit that it was not achieving more than the cut in voltage of the Redarc.

If that was the problem then you would not charge the House battery at all from the car so you would have a somewhat charged starting battery and a low charge house battery - but I think you said "both go flat".

So if you are saying both batteries charge OK but then go flat together then you would have to suspect leakage also could be a fault in the Redarc and the batteries are permanently connected.

To me the only absolute proof would be to disconnect the Redarc completely from the system and see if you get normal behaviour of the starting battery - as in it does not start to go flat over a few days. Then put the Redarc back on the starting battery cable only (without the Aux and Blue cables) to see if the Redarc alone causes the starting battery to discharge which would indicate leakage through the Redarc to Earth.

Ken
FollowupID: 727263

Follow Up By: snoopyone - Tuesday, May 17, 2011 at 07:13

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 at 07:13
Have removed the Redarc and buying a new one as it seems the solenoid has stopped working.
Thanks for all the replies.

FollowupID: 727379

Follow Up By: KenInPerth - Tuesday, May 17, 2011 at 09:50

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 at 09:50
I am sure we all have our fingers crossed for you.

Good luck

Ken

There is nothing as valuable as first hand experience with a problem - and then you will probably never use that knowledge again.
FollowupID: 727390

Follow Up By: snoopyone - Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 19:07

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 19:07
A follow up here

Uninstalled Redarc and bolted + wires together on 18th..

Now the 31st and car still starts

have ordered a new Redarc so will see how it goes.

Thanks for all the advice.
FollowupID: 728996

Sponsored Links