rear diff drive shaft seal leak + mixing LSD oils

Submitted: Monday, May 16, 2011 at 14:15
ThreadID: 86320 Views:3184 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have a Ford Courier 2000 PE 2.5 TD ute.
I Have just driven up to Qld this week for a week or two on Fraser Island, I climbed under the truck for a quick check before tomorrow's early departure and noticed the rear diff was leaking oil from the seal with the drive shaft.
A few questions;
Is it an easy job to replace this seal once I'm home?
Is there any problems in topping up the LSD diff oil with a different brand?

Just what I needed before departure day!
Many thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, May 16, 2011 at 14:55

Monday, May 16, 2011 at 14:55
If it is only weeping there just might be a grain of sand that has open up the seal a bit, not a big problem. I have also seen the weep stop after a while but do not always count on it.

If you have a puddle of oil under the diff that is a different matte and should be looked at as soon as possible.

Mixing oils is never a good thing even if it is LSD oil from different brands.

Remove the filler plug and see how much oil you have lost. Dip your little finger in the filler hole, if it come out all black and oily you should be OK. If you little finger is dry, do not move the vehicle until the oil is topped up.

Replacing the seal will require the flange to be removed after the tail shaft has been removed. There should be a large nut that will have to be removed. This will allow the flange to be removed from the pinon shaft. The seal should then be able to be removed and a new one put in.

Replace the flange and using a new nut torque up the nut to the correct toque and lock into position. Replace tail shaft. Torque settings can be found in your work shop manual.

Wayne
AnswerID: 454459

Sponsored Links