Which Airconditioner Unit for 16 FT Poptop

Submitted: Monday, May 16, 2011 at 21:16
ThreadID: 86337 Views:3558 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I would like to install an AirConditioning unit into my Coromal 475 poptop. I am aware that a roof top unit is not appropriate given the somewhat weak roof system. I have seen the more conventional units, and a mate has one but is very dissappointed with the noise level. Another friend has one, and has found the positioning it critical. His " is better than none " in his words. I have seen other types displayed that have a number of individual small outlets that I assume are positioned around the van. Something like the face level outlets in the dash of our vehicles I assume.

Is there a "perfect" installation that someone has found ? IE, Minimal noise, Great performance etc etc . I realise that in a poptop this is a big ask, but I am looking for something that is better than what my friends and contacts seem to have.

Hoping someone can help, Barry.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mark C - Monday, May 16, 2011 at 21:47

Monday, May 16, 2011 at 21:47
G/day barry, I have a 16ft poptop with Heron 3 split system, works well and is quiet. Positioning is important. You possibly could mount a roof system if you placed 2 pieces of RHS externally from wall to wall to support weight.
I have seen new Jayco PTs with roof mounted systems, might pay to check out how they do it.

Regards

Mark
AnswerID: 454505

Follow Up By: goddosglory - Tuesday, May 17, 2011 at 10:50

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 at 10:50
Hi Barry..i have a 17ft 6 pop top..we have a roof mounted air command sparrow a/c reverse cycle with dry setting for humidity..we have been in top end wa since early feb.. and i can honestly say without it i would not be here..its quiet enough to run all night on dry...and keeps the van in the low 20s on very hot and humid days...i think from memory it weighs 30/35 kilos
FollowupID: 727394

Reply By: Batt's - Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 22:06

Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 22:06
In 2005 we bought a reverse cycle split system from good guys for $500 for our 16ft jayco had the rear window removed & the head unit installed their the compressor mounted on the rear bar professionally fitted just over$500. Herron A/C about $2200 then, we leftPerth went to Darwin at home to Mackay best investment ever
AnswerID: 454882

Sponsored Links