Hema Vs Westprint for my Laptop/GPS/Oziexplorer

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 23:49
ThreadID: 8634 Views:3031 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am running Oziexplorer on my Vaio Notebook and would like to purchase some maps on CD rather than scanning them in, as I have done with my High Country maps. I see that in the Exploroz shops that there are two main choices -
1. WestPrint Heritage Maps - Australias Outback Tracks CD
2. Hema maps - Great Desert Tracks of Australia CD.

We are planning to go to Innamincka, Coongie Lake, Merty Merty and down into the Flinders Ranges next September and I am starting to get excited and want to have a look at some stuff about it. I gather if I buy a deserts park pass now it will still be valid next year!

I am not sure if essentially the maps on CD are the same - they certainly seem to cover pretty much the same area but would like advice on which one is the best if anyone has had a look at them. I have read about Burke and Wills recently and it is just a phenomenal story and would recommend it as a read to anyone who loves our country. The book I read was called "Cooper's Creek - The Storey of Burke and Wills by Alan Moorehead ISBN 0 17 006736 X and was published by Nelson Publishers. It would be a good Chrissy pressie for someone who loves to explore our country.
Andrew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 08:11

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 08:11
Andrew,
also read Sarah Murgatroyd's recent book. I forget the title but it is an excellent account of the expedition. I can email you screen shots of the Hema and the Auslig 1:250,000 maps direct if you are interested.Bob
AnswerID: 37892

Follow Up By: Andrew - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 09:33

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 09:33
Would be great to see a Hema map and you could email it to mcdfamily@bigpond.com I already have the Auslig maps and find them pretty good though I am not sure who good they out around Camerons Corner etc. Should have a look I guess.
Andrew
Sarah Murgatroyd's book
FollowupID: 27493

Reply By: Member - JohnR - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 09:00

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 09:00
I enjoy "Explore the Flinders Ranges", edited Barker S, McCaskill M, and Ward B published by the Royal Geographical Society, South Australian Branch, ISBN 0 909112 18 5 A teriffic resource book for before and when you go to the ranges.

A lot of the historical and prehistoric references that you may like to follow up. The Flinders Ranges brought my geography lessons alive the first time I went in the 1960s, was a pity it took so long to get back...........

john
AnswerID: 37899

Follow Up By: Andrew - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 09:22

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 09:22
It is fantastic to read about a place before you visit so that you can appreciate the history. I remember reading "Killers of Eden" about the killer whales that would alert (by splashing) the whalers on the Kiah River that their were whales in Twofold Bay. I read the book while staying in Eden and it certainly has a profound effect on you appreciation of the place whne reading the history, visiting the old homes etc.
Andrew
FollowupID: 27492

Reply By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 12:24

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 12:24
Hi Andrew,

I asked Michelle (ExplorOz) the same question, as I already have the Hema maps on CD and love them. Below is an extract from Michelle's reply:

"Hema maps will show FX marks, gps refs etc whereas Westprint maps will show points of interest (eg. unique trees, historic buildings)."

I find the Hema CD is good for planning where and what fuel is available, camp sites, facilities in the towns, lookouts etc.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Just Do It!

AnswerID: 37914

Reply By: Michelle from ExplorOz - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 13:57

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 13:57
As Glenn says, I did respond to this question, but I would also like to point out that was a general statement about the difference between the publishers - David hasn't actually yet loaded the Westprint disc into our machine to do a proper analysis. We only brought in one stock item when it first came out and have more stock arriving soon to be able to pull one out as a sample to test.

We have sold one copy so far - maybe that person could come back to the forum and comment in the meantime...

The only thing I can say is that I was talking with Graeme from Wesprint in the development phase of this product (it was actually my idea to put the whole thing on the one CD, as they were going to do separate cds). I don't know that they have the same aims as Hema, but what I think they have done is added consumer choice into the massively growing digital mapping market, but not necessarily a different product that would warrant owning both sets.ExplorOz
AnswerID: 37920

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 17:47

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 17:47
I recently brought the Westprint CD & find it prity good also have Hema GDT CD . The Westprint CD covers a larger area , both are easy to follow about the only difference i can see as i just looked at both is Hema include some Long & Latitude references.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 37940

Reply By: duncs - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 13:44

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 13:44
Andrew,

I can't comment on the CD's from either Hema or Westprint.

I have however used the Westprint paper maps extensively and they are very good.

One side is the map and the other has information about points of interest which are numbered on the maps. This information and the maps in general are extremely accurate. The new maps also include GPS points for all the major intersections and places of interest.

As well as this they have a package to he;p you with planning which allows you to purchase the Ddesert Pparks Pass closer to your departure time.

Westprint have a very good website and a very comprehensive bookshop. Also if you email them they will provide you with suggested information and reading list to help you with the trip planning.

This is not designed to take away from the information you receive here. This site is very interesting and informative. The information fronm Westprint will compliment this very well.

Duncs
AnswerID: 38023

Reply By: Andrew - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 07:12

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 07:12
I emailed Westprint and this is the reply from them regarding the Maps issue:

Andrew,

I did read the replies on ExploreOz but thought most of the replies missed the point.

1. Someone said that Westprint covered a larger area. Not correct. Hema actually covers slightly more to the east.

2. Westprint uses only four files to cover most of the area Hema covers with six files.

3. The Westprint CD is a specially produced digital file where the map is prepared for use with a navigation programme. Hema have scanned their Great Desert Tracks maps and the covers and all text associated with a paper map is included on their CD. Now this may be preferable for some but I think it clutters up the image (my opinion only).

4. Hema use a 1:1,250,000 scale. Westprint use 1:1,000,000 scale.

5. Westprint have a free demo copy of TrackRanger on the CD but suggest users download their own trial copies of OziExplorer.

6. Westprint do not have GPS locations on the map because they are obvious when using any navigation programme. However, I do think there is a place for some hard-to-find locations to have GPS locations shown on the map and will be adding some on future revisions.

Westprint does advise registration of purchase so that we can advise of future improvements or any major problems (which so far haven't happened).

I hope this helps.

John.
AnswerID: 38152

Reply By: Andrew - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 07:13

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 07:13
I emailed Westprint and this is the reply from them regarding the Maps issue:

Andrew,

I did read the replies on ExploreOz but thought most of the replies missed the point.

1. Someone said that Westprint covered a larger area. Not correct. Hema actually covers slightly more to the east.

2. Westprint uses only four files to cover most of the area Hema covers with six files.

3. The Westprint CD is a specially produced digital file where the map is prepared for use with a navigation programme. Hema have scanned their Great Desert Tracks maps and the covers and all text associated with a paper map is included on their CD. Now this may be preferable for some but I think it clutters up the image (my opinion only).

4. Hema use a 1:1,250,000 scale. Westprint use 1:1,000,000 scale.

5. Westprint have a free demo copy of TrackRanger on the CD but suggest users download their own trial copies of OziExplorer.

6. Westprint do not have GPS locations on the map because they are obvious when using any navigation programme. However, I do think there is a place for some hard-to-find locations to have GPS locations shown on the map and will be adding some on future revisions.

Westprint does advise registration of purchase so that we can advise of future improvements or any major problems (which so far haven't happened).

I hope this helps.

John.
AnswerID: 38153

Follow Up By: Andrew - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 07:14

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 07:14
Whoops - sometimes my finger just wants to double click...!!!
FollowupID: 27682

Sponsored Links