Gearbox grumble

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 00:01
ThreadID: 8635 Views:1359 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
Our Mitsi Challenger has some gearbox grumble which can clearly be heard at idle. It disappears when the clutch is depressed and returns on its release. Two Mitsi dealers have said It is not a problem, the second one saying that it was cluster gear rollover. On both occaisions I was reassured but I'm still suspicious. Does any one have experience with this. Will an oil additive like Moreys or lucas quieten it down?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nav 80 - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 00:24

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 00:24
You have the front bearing in the gearbox on its way out and probably the rest may be not far behind as depending on how bad it is the metal flaking of that front one may have gone through the rest of the box. When you depress the clutch you are disengageing the drive from the motor to the gearbox, thus the noise stops. there is no easy fix, just a gearbox overhaul.
AnswerID: 37883

Reply By: Camper - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 00:44

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 00:44
Thanks Nav 80,
Yes I know the scenario you describe because I've been through it with an old Nissan Ute recently. What gets me is the Mitsi dealer service managers saying that the noise is normal and if they fixed it it would return in a short time anyway.
AnswerID: 37885

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 14:55

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 14:55
Then tell them to fix it, and if it comes back, then it does, but if they arent capable of fixing it, ask them if they mind you getting it repaired elsewhere, then hand them the bill...

These days dealers MUST be told they get brownie points for shafting customers. All manufacturers.

They all do it, anything they can to get out of Warranty work... Call Mitz Head office.

Another thing to try is to goto another dealer, pretend you want to trade it in on another car, they will only be too pleased to tell you that there is a problem as they screw you down on price.. then go back and tell Mr Mitz that the other dealers have found it an issue.
FollowupID: 27511

Reply By: dixie ( W.A.) - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 00:48

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 00:48
Hi Camper , I too have the same problem with my 85 Pajero , so thinking it was the bearings "as the car had done 300,000 kms" i had the gearbox and transfer rebuild but even after having all new bearings put in it still has that rumble .So i then spoke to a few mechanics and they all said the same thing you were told , its not real loud but you know its there hey?
AnswerID: 37886

Reply By: Wombat (Victoria) - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 11:18

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 11:18
Camper,

Don't stress! It sounds like the typical Mr Bitchy thrust bearing noise. I've never heard a Triton which doesn't have it. Both of our Tritons had it from new. Jonnyknowalittlebit's Triton has it. My next door neighbour's new Pajero has it. And the Challenger I get given as a loan car when mine's in for service has it. It won't go away, but from what I can gather it's not causing any damage. I've not heard of a Mitsubishi 4WD gearbox imploding - unlike some other makes. Hmmmm, then again it's not often that I've heard the words "Mitsubishi" and "broken" in the same sentence."Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
AnswerID: 37906

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 16:07

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 16:07
Camper,
For what it's worth I wouldn't start filling the box up with additives, they will quiten the box down being more viscous but with the viscosity comes the oils ability to hold onto metal particles and in turn accelerate the wear, if you ever take the additives out you will notice a considerable difference. Two things you can do is to change the oil and get rid of any particles that are being moved around the boxnow and do more oil changes, this is never going to hurt, oils cheap, if you really want to get excited you could get an oil sample analysed to see exactly what wear particles you have in the oil, you also may consider a synthetic oil, putting this in could have eithe good or bad results there isn't much in the middle. In two cases I've had good results and in one a bad result where the box deteriorated. When gearboxes go wrong they don't fix themselves, a noisey box may last for a long long time but it will always crap out just when you don't want it to. Hope some of this helps. Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 37933

Reply By: Glenno - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 22:44

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 22:44
My challenger did this since new. I did some research via the Pajero club of Aus and the majority of Pajeros with the same setup as the challenger have the same problem. Doesnt seem to be anything to worry about, and Mitsubishi say it is normal. Considering they fixed 8 things under warranty over the 3yrs when they said this was normal i somewhat believed them.

Cheers,

Glenno
AnswerID: 37973

Reply By: Camper - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 22:54

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 22:54
Thank you to everone who has shown interest.
I guess I am most pleased to hear that other Mitsi's have the same problem (that's if it is a problem) The way people are talking it seems as if it might just be cluster rollover as the dealer suggested.
The lil truck is out of warranty, Truckster, as we bought it third hand with too many k's up other wise I'd be making a lot of noise!
The dealer pointed out, just as you said, Dixie that if they repaired it the sound may soon return.
I might just let sleeping dogs lie, but if I let out the oil any run it over a magnet, Martyn will I see any bits attatched to the magnet if the box is shedding metal?

Thanks again everyone.
AnswerID: 37975

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 15:43

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 15:43
Camper,
You will see tiny silver slithers more than clumps of metal, when you drain the oil out into a clean container, an old coffee tin is good, shine a torch into the oil sometimes you can see the silver speckles in the torch light. Also pour the oil away through a kitchen sponge this tends to catch any bits and peices so you can see how bad things are. Don't forget to wash the sponge out before using in the kitchen again, new sponge might be the better option, saves ending up in the doghouse for EVA.......... In my opinion you can never change oil often enough, pushing out change intervals in my opinion is false economy especially where you have components that are relying on friction to make them work, syncros for instance. I hope it all works out cheaply. Keep the shiny side up
FollowupID: 27599

Reply By: jonny knowalittlebit - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 08:11

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 08:11
Wombats right i had it then blew a rear main seal which filled my clutch up with oil so after a new clutch kit was put in (including thrust bearing) it made the exact same noise.
So yeah i wouldnt stress too much about it.
Guy
AnswerID: 38000

Sponsored Links