4wd drivers are morons!

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 12:31
ThreadID: 8640 Views:1999 Replies:10 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Now that I have gotten your attention : )

As some have already noticed, but there is a Poll in the top right of the screen on 4WD ads. Don't forget to post your vote : )
Just Do It!

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Simon - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 13:48

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 13:48
Cool. just voted NO.

What is the 4wd community a bunch of wowsers with nothing better to do than pick on TV adds??

Most adds are stupid, why put your hands up and show how stupid you are by picking adds to bits??

I just wish my life was so bland that all I had to whinge about was adds on TV!
AnswerID: 37918

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 14:40

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 14:40
The problem is that its the Image portrayed on 4wders. And some people do believe if they buy a Hilux they will be THE man on the building site.. or able to drive thru walls...

Look at the VW ad, the Xtrail ad, just to name 2, cars jumping around the place which inturn portrays 4wders destroying the place.. It all washes down onto general 4x4 people.

I could imagine taking a $100k Toureg and flying at 100kph, off a jump, taking it back in for warranty with bent front end and seeing your chances of warranty. Its all crap.

Any advertising these days is about IMAGE.. They show you little or nothing of the product.. If you dont believe me, find one of the 1960-70's Holden/Ford/etc ads, they actually SHOWED you the car, its features etc. Sometimes with any ads these days, after the ad, it leaves you wondering what you were just looking at an ad for..

The XTrail advertising is aimed at the lower intelligence.. People who believe you will be all that and so kewl cause you drive an Xtrail need be removed from the Gene pool. Flying along the beach with the big bow wave, etc.. it would cause your car to rust to pieces with the tin they make cars out of now

And as for Steve irwin, I would give anything for a croc to delete him from the Gene pool.. Him advertising anything is enough for me not to buy it.

At least the Landrover ads with Les Hiddens in them showed something of what the car can do..
FollowupID: 27509

Follow Up By: Michelle from ExplorOz - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 15:11

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 15:11
Truckster,
Even the Les Hiddens ad could be potentially dangerous because the image shown in one of his ads was that 4WDing is so easy - all you do is press a button and you can cross any river ragging torent of a river with ease. The image shown in ads that 4WDs can do anything with any mug behind the wheel has something to be answered for when you consider the recent fatality in south WA on a river crossing. Is it possible that other people will go across rivers believing they are invincible. Shouldn't we portray that there is some skill involved in mastering obstacles.
Food for thought...ExplorOz
FollowupID: 27512

Reply By: Member - Mal (Brisbane) - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 15:32

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 15:32
While we are trying to put pressure on manufacturers for realism in adds, I think that we should suggest that as part of the package they sell with a vehicle is a "free" off-road training course, and state in the adds that off-road driving is safer and more enjoyable with appropriate training. During the course they would learn that you don't drive through water at speed, the capabilities of the vehicle they bought, etc. It would be a good selling point and good business for the 4WD training schools.

My three farthings worth!

Mal T.
AnswerID: 37930

Follow Up By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 17:19

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 17:19
Showing your age there Mal.Regards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 27518

Follow Up By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 17:20

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 17:20
So am i for knowing what a farthing is.Regards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 27519

Follow Up By: GOB member vic - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 19:15

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 19:15
maybe a florin or a guinea so theres a few older ones amonst us
steve imagine a 03 gu 4.2tdin the picture
as i am having trouble sizing the picture
FollowupID: 27529

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 20:44

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 20:44
Is that 24 pence and twent one shillings?
Aaarrgghhhh!!! I *am* old enough to remember.

I have often wondered who actually puyt these denominations together before decimal. One very sick puppy I think.

JackNo trees were harmed in the making or sending of this message.
However a great number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
FollowupID: 27536

Follow Up By: Member - Toonfish - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 00:11

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 00:11
im always getting told off for farthing!!!!

oh i reread the post oops1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
2 awestruck kids (dads driving!)
FollowupID: 27559

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 15:57

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 15:57
Glenn,
I voted in favour of the poll because as pointed out by others not everybody pays this sort of cash out on a vehicle to got screwing around on beaches and over sand hills at fiightening speeds, the younger and more impressionable may think that this is really possible, I'm sure it is, but the warranty won't cover the damage.
You try and get a car salesman to allow you to take the fourby for a run on the beach as part of the test drive, never mind through the sea water. They being the car companies should only really advertise what the salesman is going to demostrate to you. In some cases this may involve a manual handling course so you can get the kids in and out of the vehicle safely when they get dropped off at school, then maybe how to store shopping in the back so in the event of the driver talking on a mobile or some other distraction like changing the channel on the DVD and having an accident, they don't get clocked on the scone by a loose can of baked beans or something similar. My opinions as usual.Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 37931

Reply By: cruiser - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 15:59

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 15:59
This problem is NOT isolated to the TV media. It also exists in the print media.

I have only just last week sent an email to the editor of one of the 4x4 mags, and I bet you that they will NOT reply, let alone publish it.

Their latest publication showed a vehicle "jumping over sand dunes, doing hard right hand turns in the sand near the waterline, driving through the waters edge etc etc. Thsi was obviously done on public land that we all "own". If the TV media has to place disclaimers in their ads saying that the ad was filmed under controlled conditions or on private property or on closed sections of road, then surely the print media should be subject to the same regulations as a minimum.

The whole thing about TV/print media is bucks buck and $$$$$$, and they don't care about the image that they give to the average person out there.

AnswerID: 37932

Follow Up By: cruiser - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 16:07

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 16:07
Just a follow on to my previous reply.

Below is a copy of my email I sent. Can everyone tell me if I am off the mark in my comments or are they indeed valid comments.

CopyCopyCopyCopyCopyCopyCopyCopyCopyCopyCopyCopyCopyCopyCop

Good afternoon,

Please accept what I am about to say as purely my opinion only and also as "constructive criticism"

I have just read the latest 4WD XXXX, and to be honest, I do not feel that some of the pictures in some stories, portray 4WDers in general in a good light.

Example: in the story XXXXX XXXXX, there is pictures of the owner doing fairly hard turns in the sand, driving through the waters edge, "jumping" his vehicle over the top of a sand dune and spinning his wheels in what is probably a creek.

Now I know and acknowledge that this sort of thing happens, but wouldn't it be more responsible journalism if this sort of thing was done on private property such as a 4WD Park, instead of on public land. ( I have assumed from the photo's that this is public land and will happily stand corrected if you could prove it wasn't)

If you have to photograph these vehicles on public land, maybe the photos should be a little bit more conservative, but if you want to make the story a bit more interesting, then find some private property and place a disclaimer in the story.

4WDers as such have a bad enough reputation of being environmental rapists as it is, and some of these types of photo's really are not helping that image.

I know that you will probably point out that this magazine is bought by 4WD enthusiasts, but I feel that those types of photos could be used by some of the "greenie movements" to their advantage and be shown out of context, not to mention that various government departments could use some of these images to lock us out of even more public land.

I feel that magazines such as yours have a right to cater to the enthusiasts but at the same time, you have a responsibility to portray us in the right manner to the general public that do not understand our interests and hobbies.

Anyway, as I said, these are my thoughts only and are meant as constructive criticisism.

CopyCopyCopyCopyCopyCopyCopyCopyCopyCopyCopyCopyCopyCopyCop
FollowupID: 27516

Reply By: Michelle from ExplorOz - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 18:25

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 18:25
As cruiser points out, this issue is not limited to TV, and the full story media release explains that the group include all media in its challenge, I just had to use the word TV to fit in our tiny space for the Poll but you get the general theme...

The full story you can read is a media release that was issued last week to the ad agencies. We received a big nibble back from B & T magazine - it's a very high profile national advertising magazine read by anyone who's anyone in advertising & marketing -including clients and agencies. They want to do a story on it - nothing like a journo after a bit of controversy, even if it is attacking them. Both Jermey and myself were interviewed by phone yesterday.

I discussed the following:
the ad campaigns seem to target a young yahoo audience and that does not represent what we believe is the majority of people who actually buy 4WDs for genuine touring, as validated by ExplorOz site stats showing the average demographic of ExplorOz readers is 4O yrs +

The 250,000 users we have on Exploroz per month reflect that they like what they see - and I guess you'd say the whole tone of fixed content on ExOz is conservative - happy family stuff with an emphasis on being prepared and doing the right thing (eg. rubbish, don't damaging tracks etc).

We identify the place for 4WD training organisations and clubs

and most of all, that we are concerned about the negative press that our recreation receives, which gives the non-4WD public who have no way of knowing what 4WDrs do, the idea that we think we are invincible.

It's the polis who make decisions based on the images they percieve - that should concern us.

There is more to this of course, what about the damage this bad reputation does to tourism in our country, and to access to 4WD tracks that we all want to remain open.

The issue runs much deeper when you start to think about it globablly.
AnswerID: 37945

Follow Up By: GOB member vic - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 19:24

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 19:24
goodday michelle
be interesting to have a copy of what you said and whats printed as from what i have seen the journos seem to be able to twist around a mundane story into anything they want to say (not saying this is mundane its important)but media is media

steveimagine a 03 gu 4.2tdin the picture
as i am having trouble sizing the picture
FollowupID: 27530

Follow Up By: Michelle from ExplorOz - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 19:50

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 19:50
Actually at the end of the interview I did ask to be mailed a copy of the mag - and she agreed. So, I'll scan it and post it in the Press Release section when I get my hands on it.ExplorOz
FollowupID: 27532

Reply By: Muzza - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 19:31

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 19:31
I agree with the 4wd ads being very outrageous in their portrayal of the particular vehicle advertised. Let ME do the driving for one of those ads and i'll have one demo model broken in as long as it takes to show the vehicle on TV!! ie 30 secs
AnswerID: 37952

Reply By: Member - Tim&jan - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 22:13

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 22:13
how can you vote no? as a local councle beach cleaner worker i see the beach cut up all the time from people doing this very damage that gives us all a bad name they will do wot we show or teach them gu bush basha
AnswerID: 37968

Reply By: B3 - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 09:36

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 09:36
Recently the Roads and Traffic Authority in NSW was forced to withdraw newspaper ads it had placed for a new range of coloured number plates. The ads featured pictures of fast cars with personalised plates symbolising how fast the cars were, etc. If a governing authority such as the RTA can be that irresponsible it really makes you wonder!
I voted "yes" in the Exploroz poll but think it's important to remember that most commercials are way over the top when it comes to truth. The commercials made by car manufactureres (not just for their 4WD products) are particularly irresponsible though.

Ben
AnswerID: 38006

Reply By: Wombat (Victoria) - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 12:00

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 12:00
Hmmmmm! Interesting and thought provoking debate.

May I ask one simple question?

Do you think "they" should ban advertisements for baby foods which contain sugar because sugar is bad for the development of toddlers?"Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
AnswerID: 38012

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 14:34

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 14:34
G'day Wombat, I don't know, your the expert. Maybe a warning label saying that consumpyion of this product and cigarettes may be harmful to your health.
In baby talk of course.ne cede malis
FollowupID: 27593

Reply By: Lyds - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 17:04

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 17:04
As a former Pajero NM owner I love Mitsubishi's advertising and the big play on their Dakar Rally experience.

To quote from a brochure :

"...Pajero's engineering and technology have been consistently tested and refined in the gruelling Dakar rallies through some of the harshest conditions on earth."

My poor ol' Paj couldn't take on a couple runs up a sand dune at Stockton Beach without ripping the rear bumper apart.

They also neglect to mention that they make more mods to the Dakar beasts than the $6m Man.

I suppose its no more misleading than Bank ads that offer the meaning of life.

Cheers,
Stuart
- To err is human, to moo bovine -
AnswerID: 38042

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 22:15

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 22:15
The only thing the Paris Dakar Paj/cruiser/patrol etc have in common with the street ones, is the badge...
FollowupID: 27739

Sponsored Links