Long shelf life snacks & goodies

Submitted: Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 10:40
ThreadID: 86443 Views:3368 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all
We are heading off into the outback in 3 weeks so I am looking for suggestions and/or recipes for slices, snacks, cakes and treats that I can bake to have on hand while travelling. Does anyone have any suggestions. The last thing we want is to be throwing moulding food out a week down the track. One of our party is peanut intolerant and another is dietbetic so that can narrow down the options at times.. Appreciate any suggestions please. Thanks heaps G&D
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 12:27

Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 12:27
We always take a large rich fruit cake which lasts well wrapped in foil and plastic so long as you hide it. For nibbles we take almonds, macadamias, dates, dried apricots, chocolate pepperoni, cheeses and dips in sealed containers and dry biscuits. I also find that biscuits with oatmeal like Anzacs keep well. It is fun to make damper, scones etc in the camp oven too. Pikelets are a simple treat to make on the road too. Lynne
AnswerID: 455029

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 15:31

Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 15:31
Hi Greg and Dianne

While my list does not include catering for your special dietary needs, the following should give you plenty of ideas:

Food and cooking when on the move

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 455040

Follow Up By: eighty matey - Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 16:55

Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 16:55
Hi Motherhen,

have you considered cryvaced meat. We get our meat cryovaced at the local butcher before we leave and most butchers can do it now. Refridgerated chicken lasts for about 6 weeks and beef for about 8 weeks, from memory. Because the air is vacuumed form the package, even steaks take up less room in the fridge.

eighty matey.
FollowupID: 727967

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 17:41

Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 17:41
Hi eighty matey

I have considered getting a vacuum sealer for a number of different uses, but have never really felt a pressing need. We have managed well on long trips with just our small fridge and occasional shopping, but last trips (the five month one and a one week holiday) we just used the Engel as a freezer under the bed. Plenty of room for our needs.

I purchase mince when on special and freeze this in meal sized cube shapes, which is very space efficient and a versatile meat. Otherwise chicken fillets (thigh preferred over breast), sausages and other bone free meat. It lasts just about for ever kept frozen. We supplement with other purchases along the way for variety.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 727978

Follow Up By: eighty matey - Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 18:02

Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 18:02
Fair enough. We do what works. Our fridge is either all fridge, or all freezer, so basically we don't have a freezer option. We travel in our Landcruiser without towing anything so space, and weight, is at a premium.

I don't want to hijack Greg and Dianne's thread, but...... I will a little bit. We doing a pretty big trip next year and part of it is the Gary Hwy, Alice to 80 mile Beach. I know you have info on this trip, so please keep it in mind, if that's ok. I'll post a thread later with our proposed itinary and I'll ask for tips (sorry Greg & Dianne).

eighty matey
FollowupID: 727983

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 18:44

Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 18:44
Hi eighty matey

The Gary Junction road is a fabulous trip. I have the travelogues for the first part as far as the NT border (travelling from west to east) on my website and i hope to have the rest of the way to Alice there soon. I had to take a break from it to catch up on long overdue book keeping and then lambing time intervened. Now it is back to the books for a while, amidst feeding sheep and four hourly bottles for five lambs. I can be contacted by email through my website if you have any questions.

Apologies Greg and Dianne and happy cooking.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 727986

Follow Up By: eighty matey - Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 19:29

Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 19:29
Thank you. You better get back to work.

No wonder you enjoy getting away.

eighty matey
FollowupID: 727992

Follow Up By: Frances - Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 20:11

Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 20:11
Mars Bar Slice.
FollowupID: 727996

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 21:15

Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 21:15
Mars Bars Slice may be yummy for the sweets lovers, but no way for a family with a peanut allergy and a diabetic.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 728013

Reply By: Greg & Dianne - Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 18:54

Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 18:54
Thanks everyone have made note of all. much appreciated G&D
AnswerID: 455148

Sponsored Links