Towing with HJ60 diesel auto

Submitted: Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 17:53
ThreadID: 86477 Views:3008 Replies:1 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Have an old HJ60 Sahara with automatic transmission. Apparently the box is 4 speed with a lockout (5th gear). The 5th gear is a direct drive via a type of clutch mechanism and I have been advised that it is not a good idea to tow in 5th as the clutch plates slip with the tugging and serious damage can occur.
The problem is that I cannot disengage the 5th gear and run in 4th so have to tow in 3rd which plays havoc with my fuel consumption. This seems extremely strange for Toyota to make a Lancruiser gearbox with this limitation. Has anyone else had any experience in this regard and is the information provided to me correct??
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Madfisher - Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 19:40

Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 19:40
Mate I have been around 4by for thirty years and have never heard of a 5 speed auto in a 60. Yes the revs do drop when it locks up and this is what you are mistaking for an extra gear. 3rd is your direct drive, and use 4th with tailwinds or downhill.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 455155

Follow Up By: Member - Ralph K (WA) - Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 20:46

Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 20:46
Thanks Pete,
I use 4th (5th) all the time when not towing. Approx. 2000rpm at 110km/hr. Fuel consumption averages 14l/100km on bitumen and dirt.
I'm confused as to what the lockout is and why should revs drop when it engages.
What gear do you recommend I use when towing?

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 728118

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 20:56

Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 20:56
Lock up mate, not lock out lol. Any mechanic on here will explain it better then me but here goes. To help with fuel economy in the eighties autos where designed with a lock up facilty. This feature minmised slipage (this is why your revs drop) and aided fuel economy. My wifes auto Nullarbor(Jackaroo) is the same and it does act like and extra gear as when you are climbing a hill it first unlocks and the revs rise a few hundred rpm. If Robin Miller is around I am sure he can explain it better then me.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 728119

Follow Up By: Member - Ralph K (WA) - Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 21:05

Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 21:05
Thanks again...starting to make sense.
Sounds like I can tow in 4th if not too heavy and on bitumen but may have to use 3rd for heavy work or offroad.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 728121

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 21:23

Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 21:23
Ralph I think that covers it. With my man 5 speed the moment I have to put my foot down I downshift to 4th, so you treat the auto the same . Also on Sal s auto if only med towing I engage the power button which stops it trying to hold a high gear.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 728128

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 21:37

Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 21:37
Hi Ralph'

Most autos later than about the 1970's incorporated a "lockup" feature on the torque convertor. Now the torque convertor is a real handy bit of kit for driving on sand or inching your way up a steep and rocky hill without slipping your clutch as sometimes you have to do in a manual. The problem was when highway or freeway cruising the operation of the torque convertor, even though in these situations it was ALMOST locked it still "slipped" slightly and produced heat and higher fuel consumption. Along came the lockup clutch which by the way had been used for many years in more expensive auto transmissions. All it does is stop the convertor acting like a convertor and eliminates the slippage that all torque convertors have. Obviously you still want the advantages that an auto has at low speeds so in MOST transmissions the lockup feature does not operate until top (4th or 5th) gear has been engaged. When the lockup clutch engages it feels like another gear has been selected but actually all that has occured is the "slip" of the convertor has been taken away.

Without getting too technical I hope that helps.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 728129

Follow Up By: Member - Ralph K (WA) - Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 22:37

Sunday, May 22, 2011 at 22:37
Thanks Pop,
I think I have a good understanding of how things work now.
My question still remains, if I tow in 4th gear the 'lockup' will engage/disengage automatically, will that damage the gearbox?
Do I just bite the bullet and tow in 3rd?
Ralph

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 728137

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Monday, May 23, 2011 at 01:25

Monday, May 23, 2011 at 01:25
Ralph,

The lockup clutch in most automotive type transmissions is not designed as a particularly heavy duty component. It is mainly intended to eliminate the torque convertor after the vehicle has reached cruising speed. If it was me and I was towing a significant load with an auto I would tow in the highest gear that did not allow lockup engagement. AFAIK the transmission in your vehicle is direct 1:1 in 3rd with 4th an overdrive.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 728141

Follow Up By: ross - Monday, May 23, 2011 at 08:45

Monday, May 23, 2011 at 08:45
Ralph ,your A440F auto trans is only a 4sp. However the 4th gear has a similar output to the 5sp manual.
The auto does not have the low down 1st gear that the manuals have.
FollowupID: 728151

Follow Up By: Member - Ralph K (WA) - Monday, May 23, 2011 at 10:15

Monday, May 23, 2011 at 10:15
Thanks Ross and Pop,
Have got it pretty well sorted now. Will tow in 4th with light loads and 3rd for heavy loads.
Ralph

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 728157

Follow Up By: ross - Tuesday, May 24, 2011 at 07:12

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 at 07:12
These transmissions last a lot longer with an aftermarket oil cooler added to them.
Cheap and easy mod you can do yourself.
FollowupID: 728235

Sponsored Links