gu 3.0

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 22:18
ThreadID: 8651 Views:1917 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
howdy , just wondered if anybody has had any experiences with 3.0 td patrols as i am thinking about buying one good ,bad or otherwise. and what they might be like off road thanks.....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 22:41

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 22:41
look in the archive... there are heaps of results for you..._____________________________________________

Reply By: joshinthecity - Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 23:59

Thursday, Nov 20, 2003 at 23:59
I bought mine earlier this year.
27,000klm later and a LOT of off-road, I couldn't be happier.

Josh.

AnswerID: 37988

Reply By: Nomad - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 00:05

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 00:05
G'day brenn dog,

I own a 2000 GU 3lt turbo which has done 62000 klm. I have nothing but praise for the truck. Have heard several other owners have had engine failure problems and the odd manual gearbox. Mine is auto. I have it properly serviced at the suggested intervals, including the gearbox and it's just like perpetual motion.

Also heard that whilst there have been some problems with the earlier GU 3lt's, the later models have not had the same.

Just completed a 5000+ klm trip Qld to Vic and back via the alpine country. Towed a camper trailer and all up grossed about 3.5 tonne. Average fuel consumption was 12.7 lt/100kl whilst towing and that included some tough country. I also have a tonne of lead in my boot as well so I don't sit around.

One of the most capable, and economical (normally 10.7 lt/klm), 4WD's I've come across. Off road performance is second to none (in my opinion) and on road almost car like.

You could make worse choices.

Cheers
AnswerID: 37990

Reply By: Mark - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 00:54

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 00:54
Hi Ya,

I just bought a 3.0TD manual ST 3 weeks ago. Compared to my 80 series diesel (non turbo), it has HEAPS more power. On road manners are very good, but yet to really test it off-road. But do not expect much difference between it and the 80 series.

Overall, very happy with my choice. Looked at the Cruiser turbo but could not justify the 20 grand price difference. Also, did not want an IFS front end and toyota do not offer the live axle and turbo together (will not put aftermarket turbo on new vehicle just to lose warranty).

After test driving the 100 series turbo, was suprised how similair the 3.0TD engine power seemed. The 4.2TD cruiser is peaky compared to the 3.0TD Nissan. Nissan has a very flat torque curve, but cruiser has a marked increase over 2,000 rpm (yet max torque is quoted at 1,800 rpm - go figure). Probably find a lot who will argue that point, but then I bet they haven't driven both back to back!!!

Cheers

Mark
AnswerID: 37994

Follow Up By: Member - Mal (Brisbane) - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 11:04

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 11:04
Mark,
I drove both on the same day when I was choosing a vehicle. I felt the Patrol had an even or gradual increase in acceleretion whereas the Cruiser had a lag and then took off. I choose the Cruiser because I'm not into draging off from the lights but when I'm sitting behind a truck at 90 kph and want some power the Cruiser left the Patrol for dead. The Patrol is a great vehicle but the Cruiser better met my needs. By the way, the torque curve for the 1HD-FTE engine is flat at its maximum from 1,800-3,400rpm.

Mal T.
FollowupID: 27572

Follow Up By: Mark - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 17:08

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 17:08
Mal,
Granted, the cruiser is ultimately more powerful when standard, but have you also driven a dtronics chipped 3.0TD? That more than makes up the difference power-wise!!! (but widens again with a dtronics chipped cruiser)

If Toyota had a cruiser with live front axle, turbo diesel, barn doors and ABS then I would of bought it, mainly because my 80 series gave me such a good run I would have stuck with the brand. But Toyota are chasing $$$ now, not the real 4wdriver, and are starting to go soft IMHO.

Now I have the Nissan I am VERY happy with it. It may not have the same level of interior fit and finish of a cruiser, but it is still very well put together. With the significant amount of $$$ saved, it can fully equip the Nissan (lockers, winch, tyres, lift kit, UHF & HF + overhead console, draws etc...) and still have change from a bog standard GXL turbo.

Bottom line is, both vehicles are VERY good 4WD's. One can discuss all day the merits of the patrol bullet proof driveline vs the sweet 4.2TD cruiser engine etc.. but neither vehicle can claim superiority over the other. Just look at 4X4 mag tests, Nissan won this year, Cruiser last year and so on.

THE most important thing is that one is happy with their choice, and it sounds like we both are!!!

Cheers

Mark
FollowupID: 27607

Follow Up By: Member - Mal (Brisbane) - Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 09:47

Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 09:47
Mark,

I think we will just have to agree to agree. Both great vehicles, glad you are happy too.

Regards,

Mal T.
FollowupID: 27763

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 17:08

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 17:08
I also have a 2000 model 3.0l Patrol with 65000 k's & could'nt be happier with performance. there have been problems with early models like mine as you will see if you do an archive search thats why i brought the extended warrienty for mine when original expired. the problems have been sorted in the current model apparently, they are a great truck & you save 1,000"s to go toward mods .Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 38043

Sponsored Links