Sax Suspension - Equalizer kit rear leaf helper springs

Submitted: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 at 18:39
ThreadID: 86524 Views:10542 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have a Ford Courier ute that is my farm ute and holiday camper.
I am looking for something to help the rear leaf springs when loaded.
I dont want to use air bags and dont really want to go to heavy duty springs as lots of time its empty.
I have heard of Ironman load assist and also of Sax Suspension Equalizer.
I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with these 'helper spring' arrangements.
Many thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Tuesday, May 24, 2011 at 19:49

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 at 19:49
Hi workhorse

I had Aussie Super Springs on my Mazda Bravo. I towed a Kimberley Karavan with it and it is fairly heavy on the ball weight.

The Aussie Super Springs are easy to fit and work really well. My neighbour has the Ironman load assist but concedes that the Aussie Super Springs appear to be superior.

Now I have a Mazda BT50 and I am waiting to get a set of Aussie Super Springs for it, too. I will be towing the same load as the Bravo did.

DW
AnswerID: 455373

Follow Up By: workhorse - Tuesday, May 24, 2011 at 19:57

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 at 19:57
Thanks DW.
DId it make any difference to the ride unladen? ie, harsher?
Thanks
FollowupID: 728291

Follow Up By: workhorse - Tuesday, May 24, 2011 at 20:01

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 at 20:01
Me again.
I saw in the fitting instructions the bump stops need to be cut. How did this affect the ride?
Were you concerned with cutting these in case you wanted to remove the Super Springs?
Thanks
FollowupID: 728292

Follow Up By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Tuesday, May 24, 2011 at 20:26

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 at 20:26
The Aussie Super Springs were adjusted to take load as the main springs drop down. The ride was no different while empty, just using the main spring pack as designed.

Cutting the bump stop was no problem. In fact, when fully laden the bump stop does not get close to the chassis.

DW
FollowupID: 728294

Reply By: Member - RobnJane(VIC) - Wednesday, May 25, 2011 at 19:54

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 at 19:54
Hi Workhorse,

As a suggestion I would talk to a spring works and ask them for advice as to a 'helper' or two stage set up, whereby unladen ride is not compromised at all however once laden the second stage of spring takes the added load.

I used Aussie Super Springs on our set up and was most disappointed in them. In operation on our car the attaching 'shackles' would foul on the chassis on maximum articulation (once loaded). I spoke and corresponded to the manufacturer a couple of times to ensure I had fitted them correctly and whether there was a work around, there simply is not.

If you like the idea of the Aussie or similar I recommend that you look very carefully at how they attach, what may need modifying and any area of potential restriction/contact.

It may be that the simplest solution is a little more expensive initially however will be the better long term solution, paticularly in the application you've described.

Hope this is of interest.

Rob.
RobnJane

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 455466

Sponsored Links