Caravan learners:)

Hi there, new to this site so hope I get it right:). We are in the process of buying a caravan and are totally confused as to where to start. We have a Prado with a towing capacity of 2.5 tonne, and would like a van with duel wheels and shower/toilet. We like the A vans, as they are a lighter built caravan, but are open to any advise. There is a wealth of experience out there, and we'd like your help:)
Cheers
Vicki W
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Boroma 604 - Friday, May 27, 2011 at 09:12

Friday, May 27, 2011 at 09:12
Gooday
I suggest you log on to Caravaners Forum and research some of the many posts there that have recently asked a similar question.
Whatever you do, make sure you do plenty of research, as many people selling caravans will tell you only what they think you need to know to get a sale, not always the correct information.
Cheers,
Boroma604.
AnswerID: 455600

Follow Up By: Member - Len M(lizard) - Friday, May 27, 2011 at 11:35

Friday, May 27, 2011 at 11:35
Boroma 604 100% correct, research, research, research. It is is actually very enjoyable or a least I found it so and you can learn much. One way I educated myself was to go to places i.e. caravan parks or known popular areas and look at set-ups I though we might be looking for. Did they have kids, will I have kids with us? Full annexe or sun shade walls. Get yourself what you believe is a starting point and talk to people that have what you think you may like. Never spoke to any caravan owner or camper that was not willing to offer something. Don't forget your safety points, weights, electric brakes, WDH. It is fun and the more effort the better the fun
Have fun
Len-lizard
FollowupID: 728511

Follow Up By: Vicki W - Friday, May 27, 2011 at 19:02

Friday, May 27, 2011 at 19:02
Thankyou Boroma604 & Len M (lizard):) we have been researching, and have a box full of mags,caravan bibles, and saved internet sites, trouble is finding the time to sift through everything...but you are right, half the fun is looking. Will take your advise on board, especially the safety tips, and thanks again for replying...and any other advise is always welcome.
Cheers
Vicki W
FollowupID: 728545

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Friday, May 27, 2011 at 20:29

Friday, May 27, 2011 at 20:29
Hi Vicki. Like you, I was a newbie caravan purchaser last year. I actually researched for two years prior to purchasing and after looking at a variety of makes kept returning to the Jayco brand, in particular,the 2165 Sterling model. It was my opinion that this van, although not perfect, was a good value for money prospect with a good factory backup for both warranty and service. By chance, In September last year I was browsing the Trading Post website and came across a five month old Sterling Outback with all the features we required at almost $12000 under what the seller had paid when he purchased it new.(There was also a 9 month wait for a new one at the time) I did the purchase over the phone and then travelled from NSW to South Aust to pick it up and had a fantastic 2 week trip back home at the time. We have just had another 2 week trip down through Junee,Temora and Wagga and now can't wait to retire and get out there a lot more. We also have a Prado (an 05 GXL) and it tows the van without any problems. I have weighed the van fully loaded with water,gas,clothes and food and it came in at 2550KG which means I leave one water tank empty to travel legally. The van has Solar Panels, Slide out bed, generator amongst some of the upgrades. It also came with a cover, Mirrors and Hayman Reese WDH so if you bide your time the right van should come along for you eventually. Good luck in your endeavours. Bob

AnswerID: 455650

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Friday, May 27, 2011 at 20:45

Friday, May 27, 2011 at 20:45
Hi again. Not trying to be pushy but this is an example of what you can find. Bob

Caravan for sale

FollowupID: 728555

Follow Up By: Vicki W - Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 14:07

Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 14:07
Thanks Bob, you sound like you are really happy with your van, that's great. I know we will find the right one eventually. We are really interested in hearing other people's opinions and if they are happy with the van they have, so thanks again for your post.
Cheers Vicki
FollowupID: 728616

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, May 27, 2011 at 21:33

Friday, May 27, 2011 at 21:33
Hi Vicki

The advice to get out there and look at other's rigs and ask questions is the best advice. We took years 'researching' our needs. Consider the caravan for your needs, then the tow vehicle to match; your present vehicle may not be the right one for the caravan you desire. You don't say if you are looking at new or second hand vans. My vote goes for 'pre-loved' every time. If you are taking only short holidays, a small van will suffice, but if you are planning to go for travelling for a few months or into more remote areas, you will need room and weight allowance for your longer term needs.

A few tips here: Choosing your rig

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 455659

Follow Up By: Vicki W - Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 14:14

Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 14:14
Hi Motherhen:)...(love the name)...Thanks for the advice. We would love a late model "pre-loved" van, just need to narrow it down to a couple of brands and then start looking. At first it will be short breaks, as not yet retiring, then hopefully longer stints away. We have actually hired a van for a trip in September, just to make sure that we still like each other when we get back:), and to experience what we like and don't like in a van, to help us decide. Thanks again for the post, really appreciate people taking the time to give us their advise.
Cheers
Vicki
FollowupID: 728617

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 14:45

Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 14:45
Hi Vickie

In hiring and finding out what you want rather than what you think you want is a great start. Unless you are looking for something specific, like genuine rough road or dirt road capable, don't get too hung up on brands (unless travellers you meet have bad stories about them). When finding one of the size, weight and layout that you think suits, check it very thoroughly. On the caravaners forum (link previously given), check out the Rogue Gallery - brand names cannot be given, but near new vans can have things such as hidden water damage, or bad wiring, making them a very expensive proposition, and even if new and repaired under warranty, the people are without their 'home' for many months of legal wrangling and repairs. You will probably want to get something a bit bigger and different for longer travelling after retirement, so get something that suits you for right now.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 728618

Follow Up By: Vicki W - Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 15:17

Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 15:17
Hi Motherhen, very good advise..again:) will have a look at all of that. Sounds kinda scary with the hidden problems that can occur. How can you check for hidden water damage or bad wiring???I really thought it was a safe bet, going for a brand name van. That was one reason we liked the Avan, the other was it's lighter weight. Just reading and surfing the net is not enough, that's where the experience of others really counts. Thanks
Cheers
Vicki
FollowupID: 728621

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 15:29

Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 15:29
Hi Vicki

While the internet is wonderful for your research, you will get even more from talking to people you camp with - they can be more honest and open about problems one to one than they can be on something as public as the internet. Some brands are not horror stories in themselves, but they may have had more than one horror story. For others it may be a one off problem. Often a brand gets blamed when something goes wrong with fitted appliances (often same brand appliances used by most manufacturers), however the real value comes when a dealer or manufacturer takes responsibility as they should for the problem, rather than fob you off with "not my problem, i didn't make the stove/fridge or what ever".

There is lots to read on the internet, and i can say that we are fortunate that we never bought problems. You would hope that with a near new used van that if there were any teething problems that the owners would have solved them by the time you come to buy their van.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 728622

Sponsored Links