Re: well if not the Birdsville then.....

Submitted: Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 11:15
ThreadID: 8659 Views:1624 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi I was wondering if perhaps the Strzelecki track would be a better idea???

What do you think guys????

Regards

Melinda
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 12:16

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 12:16
Same extreme temperature ,, just different directions...
They are only dirt roads....Not so much TRACKS!_____________________________________________

Follow Up By: Melinda - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 16:01

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 16:01
That's what it's called on my map The Strzelecki Track!

Regards

Melinda
FollowupID: 27601

Reply By: Mixo - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 14:10

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 14:10
Ditto..... ditto .....ditto......different name, but all factors covered in the earlier post are applicable.....bloody hot, with some remote sections. Everyone needs back up of some sort if we break down - what will yours be ?
Of note....... (albeit completely different areas, regarding support).... there's a guy currently broken down on the Canning Stock Route - there have been air drops of gear to him....the police are driving out to him soon
(alternator fritzed and batteries both gone)....should he be out there solo ?.... and what will it cost him in the end ?
Why I am here looking at this screen ?
AnswerID: 38024

Follow Up By: Melinda - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 16:08

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 16:08
I am taking sat phone and also 3 days supply water food tinned stuff mainly. Plus set of spare tyres, spare battery, and stuff I may need to make repairs on the hop till I reach a town. Plus mattress in back of car and also taking maps. Leaving Bundaberg approximately the 3rd December and allowing 10 days to arrive in Coober Pedy. I am not choosing this way only because of adventure etc. I am choosing this way as I have been in this area before although not driving. Plus on top of everything else I have a promise to keep. Also on top of all that when it comes down to the cost of things I would rather be alive than worry about costs. I have also arranged a time to go through minor repairs like fan belts, tyre changes, hose repairs etc. I have a brand new radiator and will be putting in alot of coolant. I've driven back roads and dirt roads alone alot. I enjoy it and I don't panic if I am delayed that's why I am allowing lots of time. With everything else I have done martial arts for over 16 years and can defend myself easily.
So you tell me you still think I need to go the way of the asphalt, with extra traffic and lunatic drivers.

Regards

Melinda

FollowupID: 27602

Reply By: stevesub - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 18:15

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 18:15
We have opted to bypass the Bridsville track etc late Dec or late Feb due to the temps on our way from Brisbane to Melbourne - another time when it is cooler.We are travelling in our Troopy camper and will be sticking further east on the sealed roads with more traffic this time.
AnswerID: 38047

Reply By: Nomad - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 23:37

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 23:37
Geez Belinda, you've got threads going all over the place.

Look mate, if you as self sufficient as you say, then make sure your as prepared as you can be and go do it.

You could drive either the Birdsville or the Strzelecki and it could be nothing more than just a long drive on a dirt road. Then again depending on conditions at the time it could turn into hell.

I've read all the replies to your original question and would confidently say that all these people are very genuinely trying to help you make your own decision.

If I was in your shoes and as prepared as you seem to be, then I would just go do it.

Cheers mate
AnswerID: 38072

Reply By: Slunnie - Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 23:50

Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 23:50
The Strzlecki track is in good nick. You will site on 100kmh for most of it. I wouldn't worry to much about it. The Lyndhurst end is a little boney, but fine.
AnswerID: 38146

Sponsored Links