Best Engine Conversion ???

Submitted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 13:36
ThreadID: 86601 Views:20493 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Looking for the advice of others.

At the moment I have a 80series petrol that I wish to convert to diesel. What is the best engine to do this with?
Things I am not sure about is;
* Ratios of gearbox and Diffs (are they ok or do I need to change them)
* Engine rev range of the diesel compared to Petrol (higher or lower revs, is the rev range broad enough for the gear ratios)
* Wiring harness hookups (do I need to rewire the Engine Management system or is there a generic brand)

Hope someone can help me with these questions.

Thanks in advance for any information.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allyn Cooper (WA) - Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 13:46

Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 13:46
1HD-FT is the best conversion that you can do.

Budget will determine exactly what you can do I suppose. I can e-mail you a run down of the process I went through before my conversion if you like
Coops
80 Series Landcruiser with 1HD-FT, W2A I/C & GTurbo,
HD Clutch, 3" ex, locked and lifted, Strongarm Dual RWC, LR Tank, 33" MTZ's, Dual Batts.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 455703

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 14:00

Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 14:00
Hi Allyn,
What did the motor cost you if you dont mind me asking, i am in the process of changinf from a 1HZ to a 1HDT, would have loved a 1HD-FT but was way out of my budget .
Cheers
Joe
FollowupID: 728615

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 13:57

Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 13:57
Short answer is what year is it ??? a turbo motor is the way to go, do NOT go the 1HZ as you will lose power and they are heavy on fuel, a 1HDT is a good motor but looking at around $5000 for an average to $12,000 for a good unit.....
it does not matter what way you do it it will be a difficult and expensive job, diesels are not cheap to maintain and you would not fit one without either getting it reconditioned or buying one that has been fully recond, the fuel pump and injectors alone will be thousands and that cost will get your petrol fully recond and you wont have the hassles of changing everything for a diesel fitout, i would look at fitting gas as it helps with fuel consumptions a lot by all reports i have read.............
My advise would be to look for a 80 series with a turbo diesel already in it, many have the 1HZ's with aftermarket turbo kits on them but they have been known to fail, look for a factory turbo, there are heaps out there and reasonably priced, again i dont know the year of yours assuming it is a 90tys you will get a turbo 90's for under $20,000 and sell yours and the diff will be the cost of the conversion to yours WITHOUT the massive headachs .....
LCOOL dot ORG is a good site for info on that sort of stuff...
Cheers
Joe
AnswerID: 455704

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 14:58

Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 14:58
Hi Joe,
Your comment about fuel consumption on gas is correct.
As I tell everybody "forget about the litres you use, check the dollars you use.

My gas powered 97 model 80 series returned the same or better fuel economy, kilometres per dollar, as a 1HD FT. Fuel availability in remote locations was another issue but for general touring and around town it is hard to beat.

The performance on gas is as good or nearly so to that of petrol, if tuned correctly.

Your advice is spot on.

Cheerrs, bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 728620

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 14:48

Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 14:48
Hi Caba,
I have previously owned a 97 model 80 series Petrol dual fuel and currently own a 96 80 series 1HD FT diesel with gas assist. So I can speak from experience.
I was very impressed with my petrol / gas cruiser.

I personally would be sticking with the petrol and converting it to dual fuel.
This will bring your economy in line with a 1HD FT diesel but with the performance benefits of a petrol and the cheaper servicing costs of the petrol but at a fraction of the change over costs.

However if you wish to travel to remote locations then the diesel would be the way to go, though many travel the remote tracks with petrol powered vehicles including Landcruisers.

What are the reasons you want to convert to diesel?

Petrol has as many good points as does diesel, in my opinion, speaking from personal experience. They each have their strengths and weaknesses.

Once you get to a certain age with the diesels they start to cost big money.
Petrol vehicles do also but the cost are more affordable.

These are my personal experiences and viewpoints.

Regards, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 455707

Reply By: Bigfish - Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 15:14

Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 15:14
Dont want to rain on your parade caba BUT honestly Either sell the car and purchase a turbo diesel vehicle OR go to gas. As stated , gas is not readily available in the bush. Tuned correctly gas is nearly as efficient as petrol. Petrol to diesel will cost at least $15,000.00 by the time you get everything up to a good standard.
Gas or upgrade..

Good luck
AnswerID: 455709

Follow Up By: Member - Ozzie Nomad (VIC) - Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 01:04

Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 01:04
Mate......the whole thing will give you more brain damage than you would imagine. Unless you love a project and have deep pockets, the best and easiest way forward is to just go buy a decent T/diesel one and sell your petrol cruiser. The change over cost will probably be much less than the cost of any decent conversion and no Brain Damage.

In Melb you can find good 80's for under $20k in Diesel. Chances are your exsisting truck should fetch $12-$14k if it's in reasonable nick.

Have fun.
Cheers,
Ozzie
FollowupID: 728676

Reply By: dazren - Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 17:48

Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 17:48
Gidday caba, reading through all the answer you got, i cannot agree more,!! the changeover would be one big expensive headache, If you are convinced to go Diesel, then look for a good second hand one,
However if you have been happy with your existing unit, why not spend a few bob on it to get it up to scratch, and put it on gas ] injected] and you should be quite satisfied with the end result,
As previouslly mentioned, Gas will end up giving you about the same running costs as the diesel, and a saving on upkeep and servicing, on a $ for $ basis
sure! diesel is better for towing grunt, but if you do say ? 25000 klm per year you would probaly tow for only about 5 to 8000 klm and the balance running on gas is a pretty hefty saving, so do not rush into a ;changeover; just do the sums first, and then do what feels right. best of luck dazren
AnswerID: 455718

Reply By: caba - Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 21:26

Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 21:26
thankyou to everyone for their replies and input.

One reason for changing to Diesel was that I work in a remote region of NT and it is easier to get diesel than petrol or gas. The vehicle is on duel fuel at the moment and am getting good economy. The engine is getting rather smokey on start up and does not seem to have the same power as it used to. The other option was to change from the toyota engine to a holden/chev engine as I have heard these are more economical than the original. Any thoughts on this?
AnswerID: 455736

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 21:55

Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 21:55
Smoking on start up is probably just valve stem seals, 80 series do this when they have a few klms up on them but more so when on LPG. My mate had to do his head up on his 80 due to the LPG I think for memory was around the 3g mark to get done. How many klms has your 80 done ?? These motors will do an easy 400k if well serviced and generally give little trouble except the head as said mainly when on LPG as my mates was and he had the lube kit fitted as well, probably helped over time to keep the valve stem seals from drying out quicker. As mentioned above would be heaps cheaper just to sell it and get the factory fitted turbo diesel. They arnt cheap and hold their value extremely well especailly the multivalve engine from 95 to 97 but are a fantastic motor, should I say the whole vehicle, You will still pay over 20g's for a good multivalve and especially if its auto, have seen them upto 30g and been sold. I would either spend some $$ on getting the old girl back upto scratch or sell it and get the turbo diesel. If deciding to sell and buy dont forget to check out when and if the diesel pump has ever been over hauled, injectors etc as this will set you back a few pennies if not done already and if it has a couple of hundred thou on it and never been done then fair chance it will need to be and as mentioned above not cheap on a diesel but not as bad as the new diesels of today, big bucks. I went from diesel 2.8 lux to a petrol prado, then decided I wanted diesel again so got turbo diesel in prado, after the head going and costing me nearly 4g's for that I decided Ill pay a bit more at the pump and go back to petrol, 4L V6 120 prado, I dont have any major concerns of getting bad fuel and costing me a small fortune to fix like the common diesels do if you manage to get crappy fuel, yes it will cost me to fix but nothing compared to common rail diesel. $600 for a new fuel pump for my 120, over 5grand if it was diesel, $180 per injector for petrol compared to $1000 each for common rail. I know what Im refering to is the new diesels. The other problem if you start converting over and changing/modifying things is if some thing goes wrong then it will be a pain to track down parts etc instead of like your old girl if some thing dies the next door neighbour will probably have a part to get you going again or the parts will be readily available off the shelve and on your doorstep in a day or two if way out of town. Regards Steve
FollowupID: 728658

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 00:33

Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 00:33
where do you work, i have worked in a few "remote" places in the NT and petrol is not that hard to get, unless you are in a mining camp maybe then yet petrol is not normally held on sites ......
Gas on the other hand is simply not available in any place other than the citys ...
Your question on the holden/chev motors ..... again dont go there, one thing i know only to well from living out in very remote places is to keep everything as standard and original as possible, the remote places in the NT are littered with cruiser parts and most parts are only a phone call away and chuck it on the mail plane and you can get going again, do a "conversion" and you will spend weeks trying to get parts and when they do arrive you may not get the right part/s, heaps of parts can be found on the wrecks in and around all the communitys ....
That was the main and primary reason i brought a 75 series cruiser, you can find parts for them at most servos, every community and every town and mail order on the net ..........
Cheers
Joe
FollowupID: 728674

Reply By: Fred Smith - Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 08:33

Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 08:33
Hi caba

I'm in the same position at the moment. I have a 95 B2600 on gas. I have been doing the sums on putting a ecotech v6 in it. With the conversion kit, engine, clutch, wiring harness, computer memcal modification, exhaust and RTO fees it is going to cost about 8-9000 dollors. All the work I will do myself though. This will give me a tow tug with nearly twice as much hp as at the moment. With gas hard to get out west but with a 120 litre fuel tank I should not have to many problems. Parts are easy to get for the holden engine.

Fred
AnswerID: 455747

Reply By: caba - Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 11:04

Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 11:04
Thanks to everyone for their replies. I will digest all this information and keep you posted to the outcome.
AnswerID: 455762

Sponsored Links