200 series any problems?

Submitted: Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 21:44
ThreadID: 86631 Views:3046 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking to update my 100 series landcruiser to a 200 series v8 diesel. Any potential problems I should be looking for? Are there any year / models to avoid? Any feedback would be much appreciated. Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Marny - Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 22:19

Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 22:19
Potential problems? Missing 1 arm and 1 leg after purchase....:)
AnswerID: 455836

Reply By: SPRINT-GTO - Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 22:44

Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 22:44
Suggest you check out the LCOOL website various problems discussed including oil level& usage and gearbox gremlins in Auto.
Good Luck.
AnswerID: 455838

Reply By: garrycol - Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 22:55

Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 22:55
Before spending up big time, you might want to check this out.

http://www.ohwhatalemon.com/

Garry
AnswerID: 455840

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Monday, May 30, 2011 at 13:23

Monday, May 30, 2011 at 13:23
Jeff needs to state his vehicle was a diesel model. I bought the petrol model because I did not want to pay $10k more for a diesel and have to worry about injectors etc. Also based on the price difference you won;t get your money back on the diesel until over 300,000 kms. My petrol model has no issues.
FollowupID: 728819

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Monday, May 30, 2011 at 16:03

Monday, May 30, 2011 at 16:03
Neither has the diesel - the above is one very unhappy political chap - and if you trawl through all forums you will find that he is the exception
FollowupID: 728840

Follow Up By: Off-track - Monday, May 30, 2011 at 22:56

Monday, May 30, 2011 at 22:56
Totally wrong CSeaJay. There is plenty of info around, particularly on LCOOL, that shows otherwise.
FollowupID: 728901

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Monday, May 30, 2011 at 08:40

Monday, May 30, 2011 at 08:40
At the beginning of this year I went to Mr Toyota and had a test drive of a 200 with the view to update my 2004 LC100. The test drive was good but I was disappointed that it was not a major improvement on my current vehicle.

I have spent quite a lot of money and time on the 100s and I think I had not appreciated how good it is now.

The clincher was they wanted $65k on top of my trade in. Given it has only got 110K on the clock I think it is going to happily see me out. It was worth the effort as I made a firm decision.

I know 5 people with wagons and utes running the new V8 diesel. Most are happy with the performance, 2 have had noisy injectors replaced and the same 2 have oil use issues. In both cases the vehicles are not driven hard. The ones that pull big loads seem to be better and do not need topping up between services. It is consistent with the stories on LCOOL.

Unless your 100s is high mileage I would keep it. At the least avoid the vehicles from the first couple of years of release. Like all new models they seem to have mostly sorted problems out by now.

cheers
AnswerID: 455855

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Monday, May 30, 2011 at 09:12

Monday, May 30, 2011 at 09:12
Alistair

"not a lot of improvement to current vehicle"
That is your opinion and I respect that, but I am of polar opposite view.
* Safety - huge improvement, what price do you put on that?
* Handling - less body roll on road, yet better articulation off road - stock standard can outramp modified 100's
* Traction aids negate the need for aftermarket diff locks for all but the very extreme users

I can go on - but the above covers on and offroad and paints the picture of my opinion,

CJ
FollowupID: 728795

Follow Up By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Monday, May 30, 2011 at 15:17

Monday, May 30, 2011 at 15:17
CJ,
Pls note that I was making the comparison to MY current vehicle which has IFS, airbags, constant 4wd, full replacement suspension, dif drop, f/r lockers etc - see profile

My point was that with all my expenditure I could see only a marginal improvement that I could not justify against the cost.

I was not comparing a standard 100s vs 200s in which case I would agree the 200 is significantly better though not without some issues.

For example a person I met in a 4wd suspension place was having major work done on his brand new 200. He had hitched his caravan up to the new 200 and immediately had errors from the system saying the suspension was overloaded. He claimed that he had only added polyairs to his prior 100s and never had problems. I have read the stuff on LCOOL about this and understand the issues, but can also understand why some have been dissappointed.

I do not have it in for the 200, just making comment from my experience.

cheers
FollowupID: 728836

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Monday, May 30, 2011 at 16:14

Monday, May 30, 2011 at 16:14
Alastair

Apologies I read your post where you are referring to the 100 and then comparing to your current vehicle, assuming it is that same 100 series. You are silent on what your current vehicle is but I note your correction.

Also, I am surprised at the 200 "errors from the system" when hooking up a van. What errors? On what system? The 200 simply does not have a "system" of error lights nor does it have onboard smarts to measuring the effect of what is added onto the towball. There is no "system" measuring overload of the suspension. This proves another point. Through LCOOL no-one of the 1000's of posts ever had such a problem and believe me they are super quick to point anything negative out to the forum. Then I re-reading your post - "A PERSON I MET" said these things.

FollowupID: 728844

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 08:22

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 08:22
Wow didnt know the 200 series had an alarm for overloading the suspension? LOL
What a load of garbage. Posts like that should be moderated for breaching science and truth.
So now we shouldnt buy 200 series Toyotas because they are a lemon, so lets go and buy a Patrol or a Range Rover , they are so much more reliable. I have yet to read factual information that makes all 200 series lemons. I'll take my Corona with lime thanks...
FollowupID: 728911

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Monday, May 30, 2011 at 09:54

Monday, May 30, 2011 at 09:54
Hi Chrisso,

Suggest you take a look at LCOOL.org and get a perspective from OWNERS of 200's, rather than "my mates mate had a problem with...". Like any vehicle, they have the odd issue, but far less IMHO than most others. And the common issues they have don't leave you stranded on the side of the road.

There are several threads about "should I upgrade to a 200" and the overwhelming majority give a resounding yes. A good percentage of 200 owners are ex-100 owners (some still have both) and they give the best back-to-back comparison. I came from a GU (previously 80 series) and there is simply no comparison, on or off road, plus the added benefit of far more safety features. But it comes at a price - the real question is if the benefits are worth the $$$ ?

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 455867

Reply By: TerraFirma - Monday, May 30, 2011 at 14:14

Monday, May 30, 2011 at 14:14
I bought the Petrol model for my wife and as our family car, I drive a Hilux as a daily driver. The Hilux is diesel and I have had to replace the injectors at my cost. That is one of the reasons I bought a petrol 200, they are over $10k cheaper and are not prone to any problems whatsoever. The diesel model has had some minor issues, oil useage and will be subject to injector failure if you are unlucky. All vehicles and brands are subject to some type of failure, I believe the 200 series petrol model will give me better reliability than other vehicles in the same category and class.
AnswerID: 455890

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Monday, May 30, 2011 at 14:54

Monday, May 30, 2011 at 14:54
Most of the people who are aware of lots of problems, don't own them. Most people that own them love them.

True.

Issues identified above by non owners are furphies ( eg gearbox problems above).

There is one possible serious problem that appears to affect about 5% of owners. Excessive oil use. Generaly this is neglegable and goes away after running in ( 40,000km). Toyota have a corrective document for this but some owners are still not happy - one or two on LCOOL.

As mentioned, go to LCOOL and ignore " mate of a mate" stories or people who don't own one.

AnswerID: 455896

Follow Up By: The Original JohnR (Vic) - Monday, May 30, 2011 at 15:15

Monday, May 30, 2011 at 15:15
Good commentary Boobook, along with Captain above. I have thought the running in was the problem and not loading the very torquey diesel enough with the auto box was a problem. The running in at 40,000 kms seems to back up my thoughts.

With the modern diesel you need to be able to load up the engine. Methinks that perhaps they need to use a light grade running-in oil for a longer period. We have tractors here that take effort to run them in and bed in the rings. They need loading up and lugging for a while.

When comes time to change from our 100 Series, there will be a lot more testing done by you pioneers.
FollowupID: 728834

Sponsored Links