Just a question out of curiosity....

Submitted: Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 16:11
ThreadID: 8664 Views:1697 Replies:9 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Have any of you guys who have been giving me all this sage advice down either the Birdsville or the Strzelecki???????

Regards

Melinda
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 16:33

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 16:33
I can't fathom what your question is Melinda?Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 38034

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 16:48

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 16:48
I have been up and down both roads in a vx calais at a general cruising speed of 70kmh..... Not to mention my GQ several times also...
So yes...
In January this year it was 48degrees on the Strz which may as well be 40 because i couldnt tell the difference...._____________________________________________

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 16:53

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 16:53
I just found your previous posts Melinda so if you don't mind the heat & 100,000,000 flies go and enjoy yourself but take your time & use lower tyre pressures on the gravel roads , the locals recon 25 to 28 psi have a safe trip.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 38040

Reply By: landie - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 19:12

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 19:12
Melinda

Everytthing needs to be kept in a persepctive. Over 150 years ago the early explorers walked this country, some made it, others perished. Early motor vehicles of the kind that you will only see in a museum these days covered many outback tracks long before four-wheel drive vehicles were common place.

Today, many travel the regions you are proposing in a variety of vehicles, and the bush skills of these travellers are as varied as the badge on the front of the car.

The key thing to your adventure is to have a plan of what you will do if something goes wrong. Usually when something goes wrong you can almost bet that Murphy's Law will throw another half dozen problems at you just to complicate things further.

It is all about risk management, nothing wrong with taking risk, just as long as you now what the risks are, how you will manage them and importantly, does it make sense to take the risk in the first place.

Good luck whatever yuou decide,
Landie
AnswerID: 38052

Follow Up By: Jinki - Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 14:40

Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 14:40
I agree with wholeheartly with Landie about risk management, but what of those who may have to come to look for you - what about cost and time. Whilst I am female and a great one for any adventure, I wouldn't be heading out into that country at this time of the year and Alone!!
Jinki
FollowupID: 27648

Reply By: Willem - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 20:58

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 20:58
In answer to your question Melinda...YES and I live on the edge of the Outback. As Landie has put it you have to assess the risk that you may take and make your decision from there. I have travelled these outback roads in the heat of summer but it is not an advisable thing to do and is uncomfortable at times.

So we are giving you an informed opinion and it is up to you to make the final analysis. Just remember...you have been advised !!!!

Cheers,
Willem

Always going somewhere
AnswerID: 38062

Reply By: Nomad - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 23:25

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 23:25
Same story Melinda, we are offering advice and tips so that you can make an informed decision. Yes I've been up and down both tracks. If I had not then I would not stick my nose in. That could be real dangerous if I gave some advice that didn't come from hands on experience.

Anyway mate, whatever you decide, let's know how it all turns out.

Cheers
AnswerID: 38071

Reply By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 10:08

Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 10:08
Hi Melinda,

Yes I have done both tracks, in 60 series and 80 series cruisers.Just Do It!

AnswerID: 38086

Reply By: Mixo - Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 20:28

Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at 20:28
Hell yes .... wouldn't comment otherwise !Why I am here looking at this screen ?
AnswerID: 38129

Reply By: Michelle from ExplorOz - Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 17:42

Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 17:42
HI Melinda,
I have been reading your post as it develops since the moment you posted it and have been interested to read both the responses and to learn more about you and your reasons for doing this trip at that time.

I have been waiting for RUTH FROM BIRDSVILLE CARAVAN PARK to come on and make a response, as she is often in the Forum answing anything about Birdville. Also, KARSTEN FROM BIRDSVILLE STUDIO AND CARAVANSERAI CAFE should have come on and made a response. Karsten however has left Birdsville for the summer (as many locals do) as there is no business there during that time of year and also it is most uncomfortable with dust storms, heat etc.

I had expected them to add to the comments about the track. During the summer the rains do indeed affect the normally easy track making it occassionally closed and then 4WD only for a couple of weeks.

Factoring the chance of wet weather into your plan would be very wise. If only someone else was going in the vehicle with you, I'd be happy to say go for it, as you do seem to be an experienced dirt road traveller and due to your qn being here in the first place, you are already aware of the possible risk.

I would strongly suggest you anticipated a breakdown (but hope that you don't have one) - and reserves of water and food, plus the spares that have already been mentioned. You must carry a sat phone and a list of useful numbers and then believe in Murphys Law for if you prepare for the worst it wont' happen - just remember this Law works the other way too.ExplorOz
AnswerID: 38276

Sponsored Links