Pinnacle tents

Submitted: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 19:59
ThreadID: 86673 Views:7744 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I've just been advised to have a look at these people's roof top tents. They seem great value - anybody had any experience with them?

http://www.pinnaclecampers.com.au/product/524/ROOF_TOP_TENT_WITH_ALL_OPTIONS

Thanks
George
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bazooka - Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 21:58

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 21:58
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Personal Attacks Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 456038

Reply By: Mick O - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2011 at 17:31

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2011 at 17:31
George all this stuff is generic these days and coming out of China. The same stuff is sold by many reputable 4x4 outlets. I saw the exact same set-up at the 4x4 show last November tent, fly, side awning and for the awning all for $1100. Exactly as presented on this website. It pays to shop around.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 456074

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2011 at 21:09

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2011 at 21:09
Mick

A word sir.

Hannibal Roof Top Tents are designed and manufactured in South Africa from a 100% Waterproofed, dynaproofed polymide 380 gram canvas that is amde in Australian. A copied quote from http://www.campertrailerworld.net.au/products/hannibal/index.htm

All too good to have been made in China.

Please note that I am NOT connected with Hannibal in any way. Just a very satisfied customer.

Phil
FollowupID: 729090

Follow Up By: Mick O - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2011 at 22:00

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2011 at 22:00
Indeed Hannibal tents probably are Phil. The site linked to this post (and the post for that matter) does not relate in any way shape or form to Hannibal tents rather their own "Pinnacle" brand tents which, as the Pinnacle website says;

"ROOF TOP TENT & ANNEX- The concept of the rooftop tent was pioneered in South Africa and the country has long been the market leader in design and production. The safety factor and advantage as a look-out position have made rooftop tents the most sought after of safari, hunting and adventure tenting. Our rooftop tents have been designed with strength, comfort, ease of use and reliability in mind, and are among the world’s finest rooftop tents.Aluminium filled with Polyurethane.

The Pinnacle rooftop tent will provide the ultimate in ease and convenience when travelling. "

Doesn't claim anywhere to be made in South Africa. These packages (as described in this post and the site linked to it) are generic, generally made in China and vary greatly in price. Having said all that, they still represent good value for money in my opinion considering my identically styled genuine ARB "Pilbara" tent that was about 9 years old now cost $1800 originally (The fabric was of much better quality though).

I have no doubt Hannibal are of peerless quality, especially these days with so much imitation material coming out of China, Thailand and Taiwan but we're not talking about Hannibal here, rather Pinnacle.

I'd hazard a guess and say the price of a Hannibal tent is somewhat more reflective of the quality and workmanship that goes into them than the Pinnacle offering lol.

Cheers. Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 729098

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2011 at 22:55

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2011 at 22:55
I was only commenting about your post and your opening claim that "all this stuff is generic these days and coming out of China".

I pointed out that Hannibal are not made in China as you claimed that "all this stuff" came from China.

You apparently read a lot more into my simple post about where Hannibal are made and from where the major material comes from.

I was not talking about any others so I cannot see how you thought I said that Pinnacle was made in South Africa.

I do not understand what site link that you are talking about in the second sentence. You do not have one in your post.

Just in case the link in MY post did not work I have included a screen dump below.

That's all.

Okay

Phil

FollowupID: 729102

Follow Up By: Mick O - Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 07:09

Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 07:09
Fair enough Phil. I was jsut at a loss as to how Hannibal was related to this chaps topic. No harm done.

Cheers Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 729108

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 07:50

Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 07:50
It can happen mate.

Cheers

Phil
FollowupID: 729112

Reply By: TheMightyMoose - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2011 at 20:31

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2011 at 20:31
We're very recent customers of that company - CT, not roof top tent.

So far have found them excellent to deal with - very quick to respond to queries and sort out any issues.

Finish may not be as flash as on some of the expensive brands but for the money they appear to produce a damn fine product.
AnswerID: 456103

Follow Up By: AdlelaideGeorge - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2011 at 22:44

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2011 at 22:44
Hi MightyMoose - out of interest which of their CT's did you buy? I'm looking at the

NEW 2011 HARD FLOOR CAMPING TRAILER
The Ultimate Camping Trailer Designed For Full Off-Road Use

on their website and it too appears great value.

[As you can probably tell, I'm having trouble making up my mind what to buy to replace the tent we're currently using!!......ha ha]

Cheers

George

FollowupID: 729100

Reply By: killer - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2011 at 21:15

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2011 at 21:15
I purchased one of these tents with awning about 2 1/2 years ago used it for 6 weeks up the cape last year and 6 weeks western NSW the year before paid approx 950 + 100 delivery then. great tent but had to replace the stay that supports the awning above the ladder it buckled in rain but otherwise very happy with the quality. regards killer
AnswerID: 456107

Reply By: AdlelaideGeorge - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2011 at 22:24

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2011 at 22:24
Thanks for the replies. I feel sure the Pinnacle product - and as you say many others - is made in China. I keep seeing references to an $1,100 product on ebay too so I'll have a look there

Thanks
AnswerID: 456114

Sponsored Links