2 stroke oil in Diesel (outboard oil)

Submitted: Friday, Jun 03, 2011 at 22:04
ThreadID: 86740 Views:5369 Replies:9 FollowUps:23
This Thread has been Archived
I have read the many and various posts about adding 2 stroke oil to diesel and all seem good reports but i have a large quanity of outboard 2 stroke oil, i could not find any mention specific to "outboard" oil, does any know if it ok to use it ???
Cheers all
Joe
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Keith Q - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 00:38

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 00:38
Hello Joe

Modern diesel engine fuel systems have very close tolerances to achieve their very high injection pressures. The high injection pressures facilitate better atomisation of the fuel which leads to vastly improved economy when compared to older injection system designs. As well as providing the fuel source, distillate also cools the injection components and provides lubrication to the components. Adding outboard oil will affect the viscosity of the fuel and possibly lead to cooling and lubrication problems with the fuel system components. With older engines, one might get away with it. With modern engines, I would not touch the concept with a barge pole.
Fuel systems are marvellous mechanisms, but very very expensive to repair, especially modern ones.

That's the advice I would give my friends if they asked.
AnswerID: 456327

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 11:39

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 11:39
If thqat was the case why was MB adding marine stroke oil to their diesels in an attemp to improve lubricating qualities of our crap diesel.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 729393

Follow Up By: garrycol - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 12:11

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 12:11
Read the posts from both individuals and professionals on this forum and most other forums around the world.
FollowupID: 729397

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 12:36

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 12:36
i do agree that i would be a tad reluctant to add it to a motor whilst under warrenty but i now certainally will add it to mine ...... 1996 is an old beast :-)
Cheers
Joe
FollowupID: 729399

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 09:55

Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 09:55
Why have we got crap diesel in Australia and who told you that... is it rumour or fact and when was MB advising to adding 2 stroke oil to diesel for there engines.

It's surprising how companies can spend hundreds of millions of $$$ in designing a fuel deliver system only to be out done by a man with not knowledge, test equipment or data to back the claim using a simple cheap solution.

If it was so good then why don't the oil companies start adding it to there fuel and call it a "Super Diesel".

The internet is a good place for knowledge but it has also increased the number of experts.

"In my previous life I was a cleaner.... but with the help of the internet I'm now a brain surgeon and a A class electrician."

So fact or fiction or urban myth.

Joe I'm with you on this one.

FollowupID: 729486

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 09:57

Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 09:57
Opsss! should of read...

Keith Q I'm with you on this one.
FollowupID: 729487

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 20:43

Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 20:43
I never said that MB where advising people to add 2 stroke to their diesels. They where experimenting to see if they could add lubicity to our diesel. Of course you are entitled to your view .
The case for adding 2 stroke to low sulher diesel is so strong it is piontless debating with a flat earther.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 729571

Follow Up By: Keith Q - Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 22:23

Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 22:23
Thank you, thank you olcoolone. I thought I was going mad!

I was not a cleaner or a brain surgeon in a previous life but I was a field based engineer for a very large global diesel engine manufacturer. I have read a lot of comments about sulphur which are absolutely wrong as well as some comments about ash. Sulphur comes out of the ground with the oil and its very expensive to get it out of the oil. Nobody in their right mind puts it back! My word, I dont know where these folks learn this stuff.
As for the 2 stroke oil in the fuel tank, I still dont know why they do it!
If it ain't broke, dont fix it!
Fuel is refined to meet Australian and global standards. Engines and fuel systems are designed for optimum performance when using fuel meeting those standards. I would not mess with it.
But I suppose some people have fun with their experiments and they have every right to. It's your engine after all!
FollowupID: 729577

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 05:05

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 05:05
It should be no different to any other 2 stroke oil Joe.

It mixes completely with the diesel and provides the lubrication that is missing with low sulphur diesel, as you know from your research.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 456328

Reply By: gbc - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 06:37

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 06:37
The only reason they say not to use 2 stroke oil is because it is dyed so manufacturers can tell if you've been using the recommended oil in their outboard. Obviously unpreferred if sending your vehicle in for logbook servicing. If it's for the beast in your avatar pic I'd be using it for sure. My colorado (common rail) has been on a 200:1 diet for nearly 80 000 k.m.'s now, so yes, I'm a confirmed user.
AnswerID: 456331

Follow Up By: gbc - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 06:39

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 06:39
P.S. Just confirm it's a low ash and preferrable mineral based oil. Low ash for obvious reasons, mineral because synthetics tend to fall out of solution when left to sit for a while.
FollowupID: 729364

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 10:01

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 10:01
yep thas the beast, i will check the "ash" ..............
Cheers
FollowupID: 729374

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 11:41

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 11:41
Most marine 2 stroke oil is low ash.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 729395

Reply By: Bigfish - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 06:38

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 06:38
Have been doing it for a long time with no adverse reaction. Use a bit of Jet a1 in the girl and add the 2 stroke to this as well as the diesel. Coupla diesel mechanics I know have also ben doing it due to the sulpher(lack of).
AnswerID: 456332

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 10:03

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 10:03
so what is the "jet a1" for, i dont think i have heard of that one, will do the 2stroke but eh..
Cheers
FollowupID: 729375

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 10:20

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 10:20
Joe, jetA1 is aviation fuel. Kerosene basically.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 729378

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 10:43

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 10:43
yeh i know but what does it do for a 'diesel" ?????
FollowupID: 729383

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 10:57

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 10:57
I often fly around Arnhem land in a bell jet ranger for work. When a drum of fuel is out of date (12 months) I am often able to use this. Have used many litres BUT i do add 2 stroke at 200 to one to give it a decent lubricant. That and quite often I end up blending it with the diesel in the cars tank. Have spoken to a chopper pilot who used it in a tractor instead of diesel. When they pulled the motor down after a huge amount of hours, he stated that it looked like new. Had no issues and cost nothing. No difference in performance either.
FollowupID: 729385

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 11:00

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 11:00
Not much Joe.

I put kero in the tank of my diesel heater in my van to stop junk growing in it over summer, but as far as putting it in my Cruiser, I can't see any advantage.

Maybe Bigfish meant AvGas (petrol). I know people used to put a litre or two of petrol in older diesels just to give it some oomph and clean everything, but that, I think, is a thing of the past.

Anyway, back to your original question: your 2 stroke oil should be OK.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 729388

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 15:27

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 15:27
No mate avgas would blow your motor up! Jet A1 is a fuel used in choppers and similar to diesel. Have seen it used in plenty of diesel motors. Just add a lubricant. Only use it as the costs me nothing. As stated, no diff in performance and motor runs well.
Have also known the local aborigs will knock the drums off and use it as well. They know a good thing when they see it!!!
FollowupID: 729416

Reply By: rainbowprof - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 09:45

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 09:45
copied fromn a European poster-(outright plagiarization)-

Read and consider in context with others on this site who have successfully used 2 stroke oil:

Due to the pollution control measures of the EC diesel-oil is nearly sulphur free and contains up to 5% of bio-diesel. Sulphur has the property to grease the high pressure injection pump and the injectors. Without sulphur, the reduced greasing property of the new diesel has already shown negativ impacts on the long-term stability of the injectors and the high pressure pump. The pump manufacturers have tried to react by lining the moving parts of the pumps with teflon or other suitable material. However, the long term stability is still not achieved as with the old (sulphor contained) diesel.

The engine-research centre of a well known German car manufacurer has conducted some long term tests of diesel additives to find out whether any one of them will have an impact on the long term reliability of the diesel engine components. This introduction to explain were my information comes from.
The results of this research: any diesel additive of any manufacturer presently on the market is not worth the money!

BUT: 2-stroke oil, which we use in our motor saws, lawn mower or in 2-stroke motor engines has shown to have an extreme positive impact on diesel engines, if such 2-stroke oil is added to the diesel in a homoeophatic dosis of 1:200. In practical terms: 0,300 litre of 2-stroke oil into the 70l diesel tank. The 2-stroke oil will be absorbed by the diesel (emulsion) and grease every moving part of the high pressure pump and the injectors.

Besides this, the 2-stroke oil will keep the diesel engine clean, as it burnes cleaner as the diesel itself.

In other words, the 2-stroke oil has a much lower ash-content as diesel, when burned. This proven fact delays the DPF (diesel particulate (soot) filter) to clogg, and the "burn free" process of the DPF will be much less.
One more information: in Germany we have to present our cars every 2 years to the TUV -Technical Supervision Organisation - who will check, amongs others, the pollution of petrol and diesel engines.
The measured cloud-factor of a diesel engine without use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,95.
The same factor with the use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,47 - reduction of nearly half of the soot particles.
Besides this, the use of 2-stroke oil in the diesel will increase the milage by 3-5%.
Rule of thumb- 400ml of 2 stroke in a 90 litre tank
AnswerID: 456337

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 10:06

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 10:06
thanks for that, that is interesting, i did read some stuff from over there and it seems the use of it is very common now, i am very lucky to have a heap of it so it will not cost me anything so that adds to the benifit also..
Thanks
Joe
FollowupID: 729376

Follow Up By: gbc - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 10:56

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 10:56
I'm guessing the car manufacturer would be mercedes? They've admitted running 2 stroke in their 24hr le mans diesel motors, and also in their endurance vehicles.
FollowupID: 729384

Reply By: Patrol22 - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 10:04

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 10:04
Been thinking about doing this for some time now but yet to make the jump from Diesel Power additive to 2 stroke oil. There is a very lengthy read on this site with some contributions from some who seem to know their stuff. For me the jury remain out.......at least until the warranty period is over.
AnswerID: 456338

Reply By: Batt's - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 10:56

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 10:56
If I done my calc right 200:1 is 500ml for my 1993 GQ 150ltr tank I put 100mls in the other day & will increase it overtime so I can monitor any change that way if it's suppose to clean things inside the motor I don't want a heap of gunk suddenly loosening up and floating around the donk. I'm using STIHL 2 stroke oil because I already have it at home for my chainsaw ,mower etc hope it's ok for the 4X4
AnswerID: 456342

Follow Up By: Batt's - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 11:00

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 11:00
Change that to 500mls for 100lts
FollowupID: 729387

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 13:06

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 13:06
hi batts
just for the record i have been using 2 st in my 1996 mazda diesel which makes it run and sound much quieter and smoother but has not altered fuel consumption in any way 11-12.5l/100km depending on where i'm driving or what i'm towing- trailers
i also run 2 st in my crd VW golf 1.9ltr and i have noticed a whole lot less soot is emitted from the burnoff from the diesel particulate filter during acceleration and burnoff cycles
it also runs quieter and smoother but has not changed it consumption figures they remain the same at 5.2l/100km's and have no hesitation in using it
europeans have been using 2 st for year in several brands of vehicles without any problems as for any one that is claiming 3-5% better economy imho opinion i think they are telling furthy's
if you google this subject you will be there for 2 days reading all the threads on this topic about 95% are in favour of the benefits of using 2 stroke
i use valvoline racing 2st oil made from quote; (mainly ash free products )

just for the record on magnets
i tried magnets attached to my fuel systems on both vehicles for two years with out finding one ounce of evidence that they change the molucle structure of the fuel or alter and or give better performance/economy in any way
but the magnetism does draw the money out of fools wallets
so inmho another grand furthy
cheers barry
FollowupID: 729402

Follow Up By: Joshuah - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 14:22

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 14:22
Same as mazcan. I was very cautious about putting things in the fuel, but in the end I reasoned that diesel is more or less an oil already, and 2-stroke is designed to be burnt anyway.

After adding the first dose based on the tank capacity of 65L, I noticed it was quieter within 5 minutes of driving. The wife, who rolls her eyes at most things I do, even said the same. I'm only on my second tank of the concoction, but so far no negatives. Fuel consumption, as above, was unchanged.

To get the 200:1 ratio just multiply litreage by 5. eg 40L Diesel x 5 = 200mL of 2ST etc...

FollowupID: 729412

Follow Up By: Batt's - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 14:47

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 14:47
Thanks for that fellers I'll keep using it I wasn't expecting or contemplating any fuel gain just the lube & cleaning benefits
FollowupID: 729414

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 14:09

Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 14:09
hi batts
i forgot to say thats its bio-diesel that dislodges all the gunk out of the tank and pipe systems and blocks filters
not 2 stroke all
cheers barry
FollowupID: 729513

Reply By: Mudripper - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 12:58

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 12:58
Hi Joe,

Yes I've used 2-stroke oil in my diesel Rodeo for a while now and have to say I wish I started sooner. I use Penrite Greenkeepers 2-stroke oil (which I also use for my chainsaws, etc). Normally at a 200:1 ratio (although I do chuck a bit more in ;)).

Quietens the engine right down. Being direct injection, she was fairly noisy at first but when I started using the 2-stroke, the noise dropped noticeably. She's been on it for around 2000 km with no negative effects.

In other words, she loves it!

Cheers,

Tim.
AnswerID: 456349

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 14:44

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 14:44
well i am happy to say i have joined the "vast believers" and added it, it is low ash so should be fine, does have a "colouring" added but that seems to be ok for the system by all reports i have read....
Will be doing a trip to Isa next weekend so that is about 1000+klms round trip so will see how it runs, i will look for some 200ml bottles so i can carry it and mix it "on the run" and not have any mess, i am lucky as i have heaps of it and i need to use it up..
Thanks for all the replys, yes there is hours & hours of reading about it and i actually have not found any "proven" negitive results, a few say it wont work and dont do it but no proof in the negitive (yet) ....
Cheers all n thanks
Joe
AnswerID: 456356

Sponsored Links