Old Man Emu Ride Quality on NM Pajero

Hi,
I have sort advice re ride quality of an OME suspension package for my NM Pajero. I have raised my concern re the harsh ride on my standard 03 GLS vehicle, in an earlier thread. It was suggested by the ARB Dealer that I could expect good ride quality, and other advantages,with the recommended package. In my case, medium level springs and standard level nitrocharger shocks. When it came around to how I could make a judgement about what I would end up with, I was basically told that I would have to trust that it would be ok. The Dealer was not prepared to put me in touch with a customer who had done something similar, despite the claim that they had done heaps of them. Is it possible that a Forum member in Adelaide has fitted a similar OME package, and can confirm that the ride quality is not harsh. I am obviously someone who does not like to feel every last patch and pothole on the road. I would like to travel to the Kimberley, and want to enjoy the journey.
Regards, Barry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OREJAP - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 10:36

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 10:36
Hi Barry p1, I think I replied to your earlier question about suspension in your NM. With my NP I had Koni adjustables & King springs & because I tow a heavy camper I had load sharing or progressive springs in the rear (No need for air bags). Because I never really changed the Koni from one setting to another I opted for the OME suspension from ARB in my new NT. I wasn't offered the load sharing springs until I enquired and I was asked as to what weight I was carrying in the rear of the vehicle like fridges etc...ARB offer springs as per your requirements & I would think if your after a soft ride like a normal sedan you will not have the benefits of a good towing & or off road suspension. If you get on to the pajero club of victoria web site & visit the public forum there is a specific area for the NM model. You will get heaps of advice & views from the members, they are very helpful. If you are not 100% happy with the ARB shop you are visiting tell them that they obviously don't want your hard earned & go elsewhere. Let your fingers do the walking, phone other ARB outlets get advice & price. Sometimes you will find people will give you advice about 4WD & don't own one,never go 4WDriving & have no qualifications. The bloke I go to is an engineer & President of the local 4WD Club. Good luck
AnswerID: 456341

Follow Up By: barry p1 - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 16:48

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 16:48
Hi OREJAP,
Thank you for your knowledgeable advice. I will follow up with the Vic Pajero club as suggested, Perhaps an email direct to ARB might flush out something a little more professional.
Thanks again, Barry
FollowupID: 729420

Reply By: Member - nick b - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 17:57

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 17:57
gooday Barry : I have had a few different suspensions set up's . one of the best was king springs 50 mm lift & standard shockers , the good thing with this is the cost is low and could be changed if needed . some time gas shockers are to harsh a ride .and if in good condition why change you shocks , also there was a thread last week re shockers , just because there a big brand names dozent make them the ultimate

cheers nick
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 456367

Reply By: gelatr- Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 22:32

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 22:32
Hi Barry p1

I've just recently had the OME medium duty springs and Nitro Gas Shocks installed on my 08 ML Triton. I'm very happy with the improved ride and handling. Certainly less body roll in corners. The ride is a bit firmer but I was expecting this. I wouldn't call the firmer ride harsh. I'm happy with the upgrade and would recommend.

Cheers

Geoff
AnswerID: 456399

Reply By: Gary & Kaye - Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 12:21

Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 12:21
Hi Barry,

My vehicle is a Toyota Landcruiser Series 70 V8 Diesel Cab/Chas.
I have the ARB suspension installed. I went with there advice and now have the Sports Nitro Shocks, OME Heavy Duty Coil Springs, Steering Arm, Dakar Leaf Springs 400kg. From that I also gained a 75mm lift.
The job was based on two things,
1. What I wanted to do with the vehicle: Being upgrade to tow a 3.5 tonne caravan offroad
2. What was being recommended by ARB against there in-house knowledge, and vehicle specifications database:
The end product was excellent as opposed to what Toyota supplied from new.
The original suspension was tested through the Gulf Country and up through Cape York, and I found it had a poor response towing the Off-road Camper (1300kgs).

I will next month receive my new caravan and look forward to putting this upgrade to the full test.

The other thing I mention is tyres and load they have quiet an effect on your suspensions performance.

My vehicle now has the Long range 160ltr fuel tank giving me 250ltrs total, also have the 3in Beau Dessert Exhaust system and the Tunit Chip, also a modified snorkel.

ARB, previously looked after my Landrover Discovery and it lasted me 14 years, and travelled all over Australia towing the Ultimate Off-road Camper.
I have found them to be very reliable, and great product knowledge.
At the end of the day you get what you pay for. Don't buy cheap.

Safe travels

Gary
AnswerID: 456436

Reply By: barry p1 - Monday, Jun 06, 2011 at 19:54

Monday, Jun 06, 2011 at 19:54
HI,
Thank you all for your valuable advice. I will follow up suggestions etc.

Barry
AnswerID: 456635

Sponsored Links