new or used Jayco Eagle outback?

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 18:38
ThreadID: 86775 Views:7728 Replies:6 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Any advice on whether I should purchase a new or used eagle outback? If I do purchase a new one, what extras are essential?
I will be taking it off road and also doing shorter trips and will not be able to rely on any mains power.
I'm in Port Lincoln and I'm thinking of travelling to Mt Gambier to the Jayco dealership or Edwardstown (a tad closer, but not much). Has anyone had any dealings with these guys and would recommend. Or perhaps someone else???

Any input would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Vicar QLD - Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 18:48

Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 18:48
Hi mate,

Depends on how 'offroad' you want to go. They aren't exactly the most offroad camper. I have one, an 08 model, an outback model, have been really happy with it, no drama at all. Bought it second hand end of 09. If you are buying it to go really offroad, they will lead dust and the seal around the lid could do with a little work during hard heavy rain, pushes past the seal and wets the club lounge.

I got mine becuase I have young kids. I took my 4 week old camping and it stays nice and warm and the beds are a great size. To get the annex and fly awnings and a few extras, it would probably cost around 28k new? I got ours for 18k with all the bits from a dealer at caboolture.

Apart from that, we are really happy. It tows behind the patrol really well.

Cheers,

Chris.
AnswerID: 456478

Follow Up By: chantarle - Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 18:58

Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 18:58
Thanks Chris,

We'll probably take it on some dirt roads, rocky paths and maybe over a beach or 2, nothing to full on.

I've got fond memories of the Jayco we had as kids, and now with a 4 year old and 7 year old it seems a lot easier than a tent. And more comfortable!!

Thanks for your advice!

Chantarle
FollowupID: 729553

Follow Up By: DOEY- Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 19:56

Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 19:56
hi chris (and chantarle), sorry to but in. we are looking the eagles too, my concern is, im a big boy and have concerns about the beds, i know they have supports to hold them up but they look kinda thin. What kinda weight do you think the beds would hold safely? do they have a rating.

we have a camper trailer and are looking at upgrading for the same reasons, not many caravans cater for families, these jaycos seem ideal.

cheers
FollowupID: 729565

Follow Up By: muzzgit - Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 23:48

Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 23:48
To answer a few of your questions..

The Jayco Outback are an intermediate off road camper.
I would buy second hand, you should be able to get one with extra's already included.

They let dust in on gravel or dirt roads..... through the fridge vents, through the door vents and through the roof seal.
The front boot leaks water when travelling.
The bed will hold two large people no worries.

My personal experience with the company has been negative. They do not respond to feedback about their product, even when writing to ask if a simple design flaw could be changed.

My biggest bug bear with ours....... the side awning is a pain in the but and the RCD is in the absolute worst position you could think of. Every time we go near the rear bed we knock the switch which cuts off the power...... gggrrrrrrrrr !
FollowupID: 729580

Follow Up By: muzzgit - Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 23:49

Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 23:49
......that should say the front boot leaks water when travelling in rain......
FollowupID: 729581

Reply By: Chris J1 - Monday, Jun 06, 2011 at 06:55

Monday, Jun 06, 2011 at 06:55
Hi Chantarle

We have a 2000 model Outback Swan and love it we did not buy a new one as time gets away from you and a new one is a lot of money sitting if life gets a little crazy.

We have done mostly off road dirt tracks and loads of beach work. She may be old but a legend. We have reinforced all the internal frame work under cushions, added a stainless water tank extra water capacity, installed a suburban gas/electric hot water so no boiling the jug to wash dishes, external shower, innerspring mattress, 2 x jerry can holders, new bed flies and annex. We just carry a double en suite and porta potti as well.

If staying in caravan parks would recommend you add a kitchen awning for privacy they are great.

If worried about dust just tape up fridge and door vents but we never had a huge problem with dust. As for the front boot we have only had water in ours during travelling through horrific heavy rain. To be honest I think most boots leak at some point noticed a drain hole in one boot of a caravan we looked at recently.

I am cuddly with curves and I sleep on the inside and my husband sleeps on the outer less weight to counter lever. Meaning my husband has to climb over me to get out. We have been told they will take a lot of weight. We have two kids (7 and 5) they sleep together. Not sure if you have children but I would consider a swan if intending on trips having extra cupboards make a huge difference don't have to get under cushions everytime you want clothes.

We are about to upgrade to a van and go travelling and sadly we will be selling her on but would not hesitate in buying another one we have had a lot of fun and she was built tough back in the old days. We would still buy an older model that had proven its self over a new one and add all the things that has made life camping a little more comfortable.
AnswerID: 456521

Follow Up By: Kylie A - Monday, Jun 06, 2011 at 11:04

Monday, Jun 06, 2011 at 11:04
Chris - we have a swan as well and I am in need of a c/van manual for it. If you could assist, please email me kylieaden@gmail.com thank you
FollowupID: 729598

Follow Up By: Chris J1 - Monday, Jun 06, 2011 at 12:57

Monday, Jun 06, 2011 at 12:57
MMMM I am not sure where it is at the moment packing up a house but will let you know if I come across it.

Cheers CJ.
FollowupID: 729612

Follow Up By: Kylie A - Monday, Jun 06, 2011 at 13:20

Monday, Jun 06, 2011 at 13:20
Thank you, that would be great. Happy to pay for it too.
FollowupID: 729620

Follow Up By: chantarle - Monday, Jun 06, 2011 at 14:29

Monday, Jun 06, 2011 at 14:29
Thanks for your advice Chris.

I've heard about taping up the fridge vents to prevent the dust, is that an issue?

Getting more excited about owning my own Jayco!!!

Chantarle
FollowupID: 729629

Reply By: Member - John G- Monday, Jun 06, 2011 at 10:30

Monday, Jun 06, 2011 at 10:30
G'day Chantarle

We purchased a 2005 Outback Eagle privately in early 2010 for $19500. Most of the issues Muzzgit has raised are relevant, but none have caused us any real problems and we have driven for long distances on unsealed roads, and in rain.

We have added an onboard battery (charged via Anderson plug) so we can stay in National Parks, and have converted internal lights to LED. We have two water tanks altho' tend to travel with only one full, and we have 2 x gas bottles.

I agree with Muzzgit that the side awning can be a pain in the butt, particularly in heavy rain, when water pools on top. The bed-end flys also allow water to pool in heavy rain although I think later models have a better set up. We did look at having a Fiamma pull-out side awning fitted, but according to our local Jayco dealer (Queanbeyan) they are much heavier than the vinyl awning and may therefore cause roof problems (my guess is he didn't want the job).

Having previously had a Tvan, I was very dubious about downgrading (apologies to all Jayco owners) to a Jayco. I'd have to say that we are very satisfied, and that at the end of the day, the ability to travel and get a wee bit off the beaten track, far outweighs some of the minor irritations.

Cheers
John
AnswerID: 456553

Follow Up By: chantarle - Monday, Jun 06, 2011 at 14:34

Monday, Jun 06, 2011 at 14:34
Thanks John,

It looks like a lot of the later 2nd hand models are around the $20-22k mark. I'm tempted to purchase a new one for just a couple of thousand more. Doesn't come with lots of extras but I might be able to get a few thrown in. Bed end bag flies, bag awning and battery back up I think will be essential. An inner spring mattress would be lovely too.

Anyway, I've got a bit of time to think about it. It's getting cold now so I probably won't purchase until August/September.

Thanks again for your advice!

Chantarle
FollowupID: 729633

Reply By: member - mazcan - Monday, Jun 06, 2011 at 13:39

Monday, Jun 06, 2011 at 13:39
hi chantarle
my brother in-laws older model had a 2 piece roof
(newer ones have one piece roof)
that gave trouble recently on his summer holidays by leaking but was fixed by a caravan repair yd in albany wa
the only other problem he has had over many years was with the winder mechanism
i fixed it the first time years ago and it failed again 18 months ago but apart from that has been good and
i might point out my brother in law throws caution to the wind most of the time where maintenance is involved
so jayco/swan o/back must be good based on that alone
cheers
barry
AnswerID: 456588

Follow Up By: chantarle - Monday, Jun 06, 2011 at 14:37

Monday, Jun 06, 2011 at 14:37
Thanks Barry!
FollowupID: 729634

Reply By: mustang man - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2011 at 20:51

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2011 at 20:51
Hi, Michelle and Justin at Mt.Gambier Jayco are very helpful couldn`t do enough to help us,
We highly recommend and will return again,
Garry and Jenny
AnswerID: 456736

Follow Up By: chantarle - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2011 at 08:43

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2011 at 08:43
Thanks, appreciate the recommendation. I spoke to Michelle the other day and she was very helpful. Although it's about 1100km away, it might be worth the drive. Not much further than the closest Jayco dealer that's 750km away!

Thanks again,

Chantarle
FollowupID: 729868

Reply By: lucas b - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2011 at 09:38

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2011 at 09:38
I am selling my Eagle outback 2010 as new 25000 if you are interested call me 0434368030 has some extras
AnswerID: 458138

Follow Up By: chantarle - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2011 at 14:41

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2011 at 14:41
Thanks Lucas,
After a lot of shopping around I managed to find a brand new 2011 Eagle Outback with all the extras I want for $23,500!
Very happy camper!
FollowupID: 731556

Follow Up By: lucas b - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2011 at 15:11

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2011 at 15:11
WOW that is a good price you would be a very happy camper well done injoy
FollowupID: 731563

Follow Up By: smiffy72 - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2011 at 17:50

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2011 at 17:50
Wow...good price Chantarie

What extra's you getting for the $23,500

I managed to get awning, annexe, bag flies, and roof bars for $23k at Edwardstown
FollowupID: 733366

Follow Up By: chantarle - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2011 at 18:08

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2011 at 18:08
Bag Awning, bed end flies, inner spring mattress, bed converter for the lounge, extra gas bottle holder, batter back up and shelves for the robe.
It means we have to drive from Port Lincoln to Melbourne to pick it up, but it will be good to try out the camper on the way back and it was proving too much a hassle to find a second hand one, living where we do.
FollowupID: 733371

Sponsored Links