<span class="highlight">Haddon</span> & Poeppel Corner

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 22:24
ThreadID: 86780 Views:3477 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

A few questions I have been looking in archives in the forum and haven't found the answers I was looking for.

We are wanting to head from the Birdsville Developmental RD from Windorah and turn off to go to Cordillo Downs via Haddon's corner. Question one: what is the road like in general for a off road caravan question two: we are thinking best to leave off road caravan at turn off to haddon's corner? Question 3 how long should we allow from the turn off ? I see it is only 15 kms?

Also interested in information on camping around the cordillo downs i hear providence creek is a nice spot?

We are looking at doing an overnight trip out to poeppel corner from birdsville? What is the condition of the road? The dunes? How long driving time should you allow? It is 72 kms each way? Does anyone have any advice?

Look forward to hearing from everyone?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Monday, Jun 06, 2011 at 06:01

Monday, Jun 06, 2011 at 06:01
Going by the Track Conditions on the Mt Dare website, the track from Birdsville to Poeppel Corner is closed.
AnswerID: 456519

Reply By: philip t jones - Monday, Jun 06, 2011 at 07:48

Monday, Jun 06, 2011 at 07:48
oz tours

The 15 kms into haddons corner was still closed last week

phil
AnswerID: 456527

Follow Up By: oztours - Monday, Jun 06, 2011 at 09:45

Monday, Jun 06, 2011 at 09:45
we aren't going to be out there until early october was just asking in general?
FollowupID: 729592

Reply By: Great Divide Tours - Monday, Jun 06, 2011 at 10:04

Monday, Jun 06, 2011 at 10:04
Hi Oztours
Travelling in October you will find it is very hot and fly blown out there, the roads will be very dusty with possible bull dust holes by then provided we don't get a wet winter/spring like last year. If rain is about these roads will be closed. You should have no problem towing a proper off road trailer along the Birdsville Developmental road and down to Haddon Corner turn off if dry. The 15 K's to Haddon corner is narrow, crossing desolate stony plains with a couple of dry creek beds. You reach the first of 2 or 3 sand dunes about 1-2 K's before the Corner, leave the trailer at the first sand dune. At that time of year you may need to drop tyre pressures to 25 psi or less if not already down to that pressure to help you over the smallish sand dunes.

In relation to visiting Poeppel Corner, if the Eyre Creek bypass is not in use and if there are no deviations in October around flooded clay pans around Big Red you will need a full day to get from Birdsville to Poeppel Corner, but in October, as mentioned, it will be very hot and the sand could be much softer, so I would suggest allowing a day and a half for the trip out.

Camping near Cordillo Downs is very sparse, the area is surrounded by gibber plains, there are a couple of dry creek beds with small tree lines, but certainly no shade here. There are a couple of better opportunities (marginally) near the Cordillo/Arrabury intersection.
Hope this helps
Vic Widman
AnswerID: 456546

Follow Up By: Graham & Ann - Monday, Jun 06, 2011 at 14:30

Monday, Jun 06, 2011 at 14:30
It's a while ago but 2003 we had no problem taking our van into the sand hills about 2-3 km from the corner. Camped there overnight, I see on photos there is a shelter there now.
FollowupID: 729631

Reply By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, Jun 06, 2011 at 18:02

Monday, Jun 06, 2011 at 18:02
I have traveled from Poeppel Corner to Birdsville twice, 2008 and 2010. It's approx 170k's and both times took all day. Allow plenty of time, you don't want to miss anything anyway!

Seek local advice first though to be on the safe side.

Cheers

Brian

AnswerID: 456617

Sponsored Links