generator to run caravan roof top air con.

Submitted: Friday, Jun 10, 2011 at 21:48
ThreadID: 86883 Views:15230 Replies:5 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone recommend Honda or Kawasaki generators to run an 'Air Command', Ibis. RC21 roof top, air conditioner. d.o.m. 2009/3/4.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: fozzee - Friday, Jun 10, 2011 at 22:42

Friday, Jun 10, 2011 at 22:42
HI To choose the right generator you need to know what kw (killo watts) you need. the ibis is 3.4 kw and a quick search on the net shows the EU20i Portable Honda Generator running 4kva so that heaps plus other thing to run ie:lights, tv, vidieo. but running to much at one time ie: any thing with a heating element ie: toaster, kettle range from 1200watts - 2400watts (1.2kw -2400kw) so in short do somne home work on power usage and get nto know what your appliances power consumption is (KW)

http://www.exploroz.com/Vehicle/Electrics/Generators.aspx
AnswerID: 457031

Follow Up By: landseka - Saturday, Jun 11, 2011 at 12:11

Saturday, Jun 11, 2011 at 12:11
You say a Honda EU2i (2kva) can run 4kva and so have power enough to run an appliance requiring 3.4kw (the Ibis).

How is that possible?

My Honda 2 will run my Dometic rooftop a/c provided the temperature is not over 40 deg, which is kinda when I would like my a/c to run.

How can I make it put out 4kva?

Cheers Neil
FollowupID: 730193

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 11:32

Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 11:32
Hi
Remember
when plugged in via your van inlet socket ,your RCD [safety switch] is not operational
Standard recommendation :
only have one class 1 devise [requiring a 3 pin plug]CONNECTED at any time.

Your van itself is that FIRST class 1 devise each additional Class1 device increases the risks

Peter
FollowupID: 730282

Follow Up By: landseka - Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 11:38

Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 11:38
Why then, does the generator have 2 sockets fitted? Makes a mockery of that recommendation I reckon.

I wonder how many caravans have a genny connected to the van power input plug during any summer in Oz.

Neil
FollowupID: 730284

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 12:30

Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 12:30
Hi Neil

Wonder ALL YOU like
What everyone does has nothing to do with safety ,it's simply beacause they have never been informed otherwise!
Or like yourself are in denial of the potential risks.

DEATHS HAVE OCCURRED

You can use mulitiple class 2 devises !.

MY POST is the industry standard recommendation.

Many reputable genny makers have such a recommendation in their user manuals.
But of course many "experts ? " know better ,don't they ??

Peter
FollowupID: 730287

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 12:55

Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 12:55
Hi All

Just as a follow up
This extract from this forums article on generators
IS COMPLETELY WRONG & is further evidence of the misinformation that can appear on the net

"Electrocution
The 240 volts from a Generator can kill you instantly, just like the 240 volt at home, so you need to take precautions. All modern houses have a Safety Switch (or Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker - ELCB or Resisdual Current Device - RCD) to cut off power quickly if someone touches the 240 volt while earthed - but many generators do not have them"

THIS IS THE TOTALY INCORRECT SECTION

"" Safety Switches will only protect against electrocution to earth if you connect the Earth Terminal on the Generator to an earthing rod that has a good earth connection - a rod into dry sand is useless.
TIPAlways use a Safety Switch at the Generator if one isn’t built in - it's very cheap protection against a fatality End quote""

Standard recommendation:
DO NOT EARTH THE GENERATOR BY A GROUND SPIKE
IT IS NOT REQUIRED OR RECOMMENDED
& does not offer ANY protection

A PLUG IN RCD, IS USELESS ,IT GIVES NO PROTECTION
IT CANNOT FUNCTION
Peter
FollowupID: 730289

Follow Up By: landseka - Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 13:30

Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 13:30
"Or like yourself are in denial of the potential risks.

DEATHS HAVE OCCURRED

You can use mulitiple class 2 devises !.

MY POST is the industry standard recommendation.

Many reputable genny makers have such a recommendation in their user manuals.
But of course many "experts ? " know better ,don't they ?? "

Peter, I realise you are probably bored today and are on a fishing trip now, but, I'll bite.

Where did I say, or intimate that I was "In Denial of the potential risks".

Do you have documentation of these " Deaths" that have occurred in caravans from using generators. If there has been any I would say there would be many lawyers making a lot of money sueing genny retailers that, both online and at caravan shows promote their wares as being suitable for running everything and anything in your mobile mansion.

Get off my back mate, the only post I made on this thread before you jumped on me was to query how a Honda EU2 could put out 4kw.

Cheers Neil
FollowupID: 730290

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 15:22

Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 15:22
Hi Niel
It does seem to me that you were in denial of the risks, when you questioned my post, 'rather than ask for explanation,

"Documentation, " the usual tactic of unbelievers!

Incorrect use of generators have lead to electrocutions as have inverters, THAT IS FACT,
FACT : the standard recommendation is: HAVE ONLY ONE CLASS 1 DEVISE CONNECTED @ ANY TIME

No matter where used, the same conditions & recommendation applies.
The same faults can arise , leading to shock & electrocution.

RE :"retailers that, both online and at caravan shows promote their wares as being suitable for running everything and anything in your mobile mansion. ""

So do after market car acc suppliers sell equipment which are illegal to use.

That indicates absolutely nothing except the gullibility of the purchaser

Most sellers would not have a clue about the safety aspects ,as did the writer of the forum article.

Also a electrical tag & test company that was modifying "plug in RCDs" for use with generators,sold by a particular generator supply company, which they were forced to withdraw from sale & RECALL by the ELETRICAL SAFETY OFFICE after a report by me!

I did not jump on you , You questioned the accuracy of my post .
I replied!!

You still question the accuracy of my post!

Do you have any qualifications to do so ??

I HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO THAN FISH on forums

BUT TO ME, ELECTRICAL SAFETY IS TOO IMPORTANT to let unqualified armchair ''experts " [not suggesting you are any sort of expert ] lead others into a false sense of safety

Peter
FollowupID: 730302

Follow Up By: fozzee - Monday, Jun 13, 2011 at 10:43

Monday, Jun 13, 2011 at 10:43
girls girls please! we want positive feedback here, We all know electricity can kill you! but so can sky diving! if you dont follow the rules. the info i sent in was from the honda site Darn INTERNET! Research is the key and lots of it and it seems we have lots of info now.

hope this aswers all your questions Maca's

fozzee
FollowupID: 730391

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2011 at 23:09

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2011 at 23:09
Hi Fozze
This link:http://www.exploroz.com/Vehicle/Electrics/Generators.aspx
the info i sent in was from the honda site Darn INTERNET! Research is the key and lots of it and it seems we have lots of info now""

That article has FALSE & MISLEADING INFORMATION AS I HAVE DETAILED
Possibly written by the same dealers who were selling illegally MODIFIED Clipsal power boxes for use with THEIR HONDA generators FOR SUPPOSED RCD PROTECTION
THEY have been forced by the ELECTRICAL SAFETY OFFICE TO RECALL & REFUND THEM after I raised the matter with ESO

UNFORTUNATELY THE INTERNET RESEARCH CAN WELL & TRUELY LEAD YOU UP THE GARDEN PATH
THAT ARTICLE IS GOOD FOR THE MOST PART BUT IT & THE ONE ON INVERTERS IS TOTALLY WRONG IN EVERY ASPECT OF SAFETY EXCEPT THE PART THAT 240v CAN KILL

You do not deliberately earth a portable generator or an inverter to ground by means of an earth stake ,water pipe , steel structure or any other means

A plug in RCD of any type, WILL NOT FUNCTION ON A STANDARD PORTABLE GENERATOR OR INVERTER
NEITHER WILL YOUR VAN RCD.

SAFETY FIRST WITH 240V NOT COMPLACENCY

Peter

FollowupID: 730622

Reply By: Member - peter h (SA) - Friday, Jun 10, 2011 at 23:02

Friday, Jun 10, 2011 at 23:02
hi i use a honda 2 kva on my ibis air con. We did change the start up condesser so that it starts easy.Air command supplied this,and i fitted it.
Peter
AnswerID: 457032

Reply By: Member - William W (WA) - Saturday, Jun 11, 2011 at 00:25

Saturday, Jun 11, 2011 at 00:25
Honda 20eui
AnswerID: 457039

Reply By: ob - Saturday, Jun 11, 2011 at 11:22

Saturday, Jun 11, 2011 at 11:22
My experience with this issue is that the Dometic rooftop AC need more power than a Honda 2.0i can supply but the Air Command (I have the Wren but same power draw as the Ibis) runs fine on a Honda 2.0i. These units need a 1650 watts constant for maximum load. This model Honda is rated at 2000 watts max and 1600 watts continuous. Also the later Air Command AC has a "soft start" feature and AFAIK this can be retro fitted to earlier models but I would confirm that. This helps with start up in high ambients when the gas pressure in the AC is at its maximum.
As mentioned be careful with additional current draw from any appliance with a heating element or things like microwaves.

ob
AnswerID: 457057

Reply By: Expanda 1756 - Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 06:31

Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 06:31
If you can spare a smidge more space and weight try the Genquip 3300 ( $1900 ), half the price, Quiter & lighter than the honder.
The 2000w ( $1190 ) will just run your ibis but has none to spare.
you will find it will burn more fuel than the 3300 as it will only be idleing.
The 3300 is variable speed and only does the required revs.

Hope this helps, I have had one for years. exellent generator.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 457128

Sponsored Links