Take care of your existing diesel or buy one before 2018

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 11, 2011 at 19:31
ThreadID: 86897 Views:3143 Replies:6 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,
Judging from this article I think I will have to carefully watch any developments in regards to pollution control in diesel 4WDs.

ABC News

The Federal Government has had a win of sorts today with across-the-board support for its new vehicle pollution standards aimed at reducing hazardous smog.

Under the standards announced by Transport Minister Anthony Albanese, all new cars, utes and four-wheel drives sold in Australia will need to abide by strict pollution controls.

Car makers will be forced to cut three major pollutants known to produce smog, which can cause health problems such as cardiovascular and respiratory illness.

They will need to make a 50 per cent cut to the emission of hydrocarbons, a 70 per cent cut to oxides of nitrogen and a 90 per cent reduction on particulate matter.

Mr Albanese says the technology required to cut the emissions is already in place and being used by a number of car manufacturers.

He concedes the implementation, particularly for diesel vehicles, could see the cost of cars increase, but says this is more than offset by the public health benefits.

"This will result in a one and a half billion dollar saving to the national health budget over two decades," he said.

He says the tough new standards will lead to cleaner skies, and insists they will not impact on jobs.

"What this proposal does is give them certainty to invest for the future to protect those jobs," he said.

"This is a real win whether it be for Ford at Geelong or Holden or other manufacturers who are here, this is a win for the industry."

The Government's announcement has been given the thumbs up from industry and the Opposition.

The Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries has endorsed the plan, calling it a balanced and realistic outcome.

It agrees the cost impacts will be very minimal.

And Opposition Environment spokesman Simon Birmingham has also given in-principal support.

"This is a sensible measure if it makes the air we breathe a little safer for everybody then that's obviously a good thing," he said.

The phase-in will begin in 2013, while the compulsory scheme will be fully implemented in 2018.

Have a good weekend!
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: garrycol - Saturday, Jun 11, 2011 at 19:45

Saturday, Jun 11, 2011 at 19:45
These are just the new Euro standards and all it means is that the crappy jap diesels will have to also comply to be sold in Aust. If you already have a euro diesel there is will not be an issue.
AnswerID: 457100

Follow Up By: olddigger - Saturday, Jun 11, 2011 at 20:12

Saturday, Jun 11, 2011 at 20:12
Interesting move, but it's based on the present government being in power in 2013 and 2018 and let's face it, that's about as likely as Richmond winning the flag this year, so no neeed to worry.
Cheers, Tony
FollowupID: 730238

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Saturday, Jun 11, 2011 at 20:24

Saturday, Jun 11, 2011 at 20:24
Sorry oldigger, you have to read to the end This is one thing Tony isn't against

I quote

The Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries has endorsed the plan, calling it a balanced and realistic outcome.

It agrees the cost impacts will be very minimal.

And Opposition Environment spokesman Simon Birmingham has also given in-principal support.

"This is a sensible measure if it makes the air we breathe a little safer for everybody then that's obviously a good thing," he said'

Cheers
FollowupID: 730240

Follow Up By: Rockape - Saturday, Jun 11, 2011 at 20:33

Saturday, Jun 11, 2011 at 20:33
Yep,
you are right, I have just had a look at my lungs and nose (which I am on) and after 20+ years of breathing the crap I have no problems (except for the nose) I am not a nice person sometimes.

Medi air to breath when you couldn't, black crap from the diesel all over you when you touched anything and dust you wouldn't believe.

Before that just a few years on dozers/tractors with no masks at all and driving those horrible trucks up and down and around and around. Makes me think I should be a cancer riddled broken down old (person). Decrepit I will admit to.

We have gone past the used by date, we can get rid of all the crap jap diesels and unleaded (what evil poison unleaded is) Then they want another 50 coal mines to open.

Coal fired power stations, nuclear fired power stations and green powered electric power vehicles. GO figure that one.

Yes we have advanced with diesel power but they want the crap to run as pure as the southern wind and that is not gunna happen without you using a push bike and farting into an ozone bag.

Sorry for the rant but as I said we have gone past the used by date on this planet.

FollowupID: 730241

Follow Up By: Ray - Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 01:58

Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 01:58
Can't understand how Tony would agree, not with his negative attitude
FollowupID: 730259

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 05:26

Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 05:26
Funny thing is that we are expected to utilize diesel, in our vehicles to the same polution standards as Europe, but the Oil Companies in Oz, buy rubbish from Malaysia, or what ever Asian Country it is, and it is known to be crap...

Maybe the Govt,. should look at the Oil Companies too. !

Cheers Bucky

FollowupID: 730264

Follow Up By: Skippype - Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 06:30

Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 06:30
Olddigger
" that's about as likely as Richmond winning the flag this year, so no neeed to worry." ???????
We are trying to get back to our former glory
Heheheh
Skip
FollowupID: 730265

Follow Up By: Shaver - Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 10:14

Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 10:14
Hey Ray why wouldn't Abbott be negative when we have to put up with this conglomeration of fools, Greens & Indepenents which are perporting to be a goverment. All of them too worried about their future at the next election with no guts to call one now. My Mrs works for a well known charity & you would be astounded at the amount of people who are on the breadline because of the policies of this Gov & State Labour (QLD). The amount of people unable to pay every day expenses & foreclosures a common occurance. People are living in cars & under bridges & it doesn't apply to the poor, even previous millionaires have applied for handouts & have been highly embarrased by doing it ! All of these people have to have a income statement from Centrelink, before help is given, so it is not a put up job by them. Rant over !
FollowupID: 730275

Reply By: deserter - Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 12:26

Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 12:26
If they were serious about saving money on the Health Budget they would ban cigarettes. What a croc of BS. Another win for the Greens.
AnswerID: 457146

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 13:32

Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 13:32
They would indeed, but, like fuel, fags are taxed to the limit & another whopping tax
would need to be implemented to replace the fag tax. Is the fag tax spent on the Health Budget...not bloody likely......oldbaz.
FollowupID: 730292

Reply By: Patrol22 - Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 14:05

Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 14:05
Just no satisfying some of you blokes. These standards have been in place in Europe for a couple of years now and if you lived in a city (I don't) but if I did I would be wanting these standards in well before 2018....especially the particulate reduction. The technology is available now so let's do it. Try to think past yourself.....think of your grandchildren. The science is good and we should use it....geeze might even cut back on the need to open more and more hospital beds in those big cities as we all get older.
AnswerID: 457157

Follow Up By: Member - David 1 - Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 18:57

Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 18:57
Hi,
taking the particulates out of the exhaust stream will be expensive. Expect your diesel fuel consumption to increase by 8 - 12%. There will be an extra injector, it will be fitted to the particulate filter in the exhaust line. When the plastic brain which controls your engine decides the filter is loaded with solid carbon, the injector will pump raw fuel into it until such time as the before & after (filter) gauges have determined that all the carbon has been burned.
Seems illogical because the carbon particulate in the filter is not an atmospheric pollutant. But it sure is after it has been burned out.
Cheers,
David1
FollowupID: 730330

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 20:30

Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 20:30
If the current fools in Fededal Government have anything to do with it, it will never happen.. Besides when they are next out of office, they wont be back in for quite some time.... Hopefully long after 2018 Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 457200

Follow Up By: bibtracker - Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 20:48

Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 20:48
Indeed, Michael. They don't seem to understand that they are going to be wiped out for, probably, a generation. I'm already stocking the cellar for the celebration. Cheers, Tony
FollowupID: 730344

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 20:48

Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 20:48
When you think about it, car makers have been adding pollution gear to vehicles since 1973 and i remember from the long line of V8 vehicles i have owned in the early days, 12mpg was the norm.. Look at the Holden V8 today, they quote 28mpg... But a lot of the savings have been through fuel injection.. But the new cars are heavier,,, much heavier.. But who knows what will be the cost of fuel in 7 years time, it may be out of the reach of many i would think... Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

AnswerID: 457203

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 20:50

Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 20:50
I was just thinking, Lets have a carbon tax... that will fix all of our pollution problems!! :)) Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

AnswerID: 457205

Sponsored Links