Tent Trailer stove

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 11, 2011 at 23:04
ThreadID: 86901 Views:1848 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am battling with a wind problem with a regulator driven LPG gas stove on my tent trailer. It is useless with the slightest breeze, even with a wind guard. Currently, whenever a breeze blows, I have to use a high pressure (no regulator) camping stove in the back of the truck, which is almost impervious to wind disturbance. I have searched and cannot find this type of stove insert for a standard fitment into a kitchen top. Has anyone had this problem and found a solution? My only alternative at the moment is to modify the stove to a high pressure setup as per the camping stove. All comments appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: lindsay - Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 09:31

Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 09:31
I had the same problem, I have reamed the jet out just a bit and hope that will solve the problem. Ours took a long time to boil the kettle in any weather.
Have not tried it out in the wind yet.
AnswerID: 457136

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 11:10

Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 11:10
Tom,
Try cutting a small section off the end of a piece of metal drain pipe that has the right diameter to go around the burner and act as a windshield. Typically 4" diameter would be ok but it depends on your stove. Obviously the length of the ring has to be small enough to be just a bit less than the height of the bottom of the pan.

Friends of ours had exactly your problem on a trip we did together and this strategy worked well.

cheers
AnswerID: 457141

Follow Up By: Tom C - Sunday, Jun 19, 2011 at 10:17

Sunday, Jun 19, 2011 at 10:17
Hi Alastair D
Reference your fix for the gas stove, it sounds like it might be the go. As soon as I can find some pipe I will give that a go. Sorry I didn't answer earlier but just got back into contact from the Gibb River road. Thanks for the tip.
FollowupID: 731157

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 14:15

Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 14:15
Tom,
You can also use a piece of galvanised strap cut to length and joined to make a loop. Sometime easier to find than the right pipe.

I have realised a couple of times after doing expensive or difficult fixes to problems, that waiting a while and thinking will often provide a much simpler fix. Takes a while to learn - just before I die I will have things worked out!!

cheers
AnswerID: 457985

Sponsored Links