By-pass Filters

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 03:24
ThreadID: 8691 Views:1376 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
Im in the process off fitting a by-pass oil filter to my GU4.2 patrol, I have searched the acrhives on this subject and found many answers. One in particular that I found was many suggested that the return from the by-pass filter could be done using the return line of the old vacuum pumps fitted to the back of the alternators.
This raised a question for me, where was the supply of oil for the vacuum pump coming from. I checked out an earlier GQ patrol and found the oil supply line was right next to the return line, in fact it is about 20mm away from the oil return for the vacuum pump. One is an 1/8bsp plug (oil supply)with a 5mm allen key required to remove it and the other is 3/8bsp plug(return line)
Through out the acrhives I've read that all take off's have been using the oil pressure sender unit, I guess the bottom line is can anyone see or know of a reason why I can not use the old supply oil feed to the vacuum pumps as my oil feed line to the by-pass filter.
This would make the installation much easier as both oil lines from the bypass filter would be right next door to each other.
Thanks
Gary
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ed. C.- Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 11:39

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 11:39
Gary,
I believe you are absolutely correct!
I fitted a Frantz a couple of weeks ago, & was actually looking for the plug you mention, but I was looking for a hex. head.. Didn't notice the Allen key one (being painted over & all), so I just followed the usual course & used a "T" under the pressure switch..
Now that I've had a closer look... AHA !!! (BUGGER!!)
But yes, if that is indeed the pressure gallery (which I presume it would be), then that would be the way to go...
Regards, Ed. C.We do not stop playing because we grow old....
We grow old because we stop playing !!!
AnswerID: 38168

Follow Up By: sensei - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 12:49

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 12:49
Thanks Ed, I only asked as I thought I may have been missing something, I plugged a gauge into the gallery and there was 20PSI at idle(hot), seemed to be the logical place to put it.. :)
I have just finished fitting it and all seems well, no leaks etc, Im very happy.

Gary
FollowupID: 27696

Reply By: David N. - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 17:40

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 17:40
You won't regret fitting a bypass filter.
If you have fitted a Frantz OR Filter technology variety, (I have both and maybe some others are similar ) you'll probably find they're tricky to change without making a bit of a mess as you lift the top off as not all the oil drains out.
If you have that trouble, make a small hole (say 3/16th) screw in the can and put in a small screw with a nylon washer.
Then you just remove the screw an hour or so B4 replacing the filter (works better when fairly hot) and no more dramas and messes . I refit the screw just before removing the cannister. Works a treat.
(Just don't forget you have the screw out and go for a drive- very messy I'd imagine!!!)
AnswerID: 38195

Follow Up By: sensei - Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 23:03

Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 23:03
Hey David,
I grabbed a by-pass filter from FTA but i did elect a different way to drain the filter. I fitted quick release check valve couplings that are rated to 6000psi. I mounted the filter in front of the radiator by making an alloy plate and removing the plastic cowling under the front. When it comes time to drain there is 8 6mm bolts and two quick release couplings and then I carry the filter over to the oil collection bin.
Well thats my theroy any way..haha
I think for the number of times it will be changed it will not be a major problem. I had the hoses made up from the hydraulic shop and all the fittings I needed. The whole job turned out well very.

Gary
FollowupID: 27830

Reply By: Steve Mc - Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 13:01

Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 13:01
Thanks Sensei for that valuable bit of info, I was about to go out & buy the T- piece
for the supply line, would it pay to put a pressure gauge on the return line outlet on the motor just to make sure the return pressure thats flowing thru the motor is not too high, As it might hinder the way the filter works I was going to run mine back into the turbo drain, but your way saves a lot hassles.

Cheers Steve
AnswerID: 38261

Follow Up By: sensei - Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 23:13

Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 23:13
Steve,
I wouldnt worry about fitting the presure gauge, these types of filters will not effect oil pressure if fitted correctly.
The return line MUST have a 1.5mm (1/6th) hole in the fitting as so not to effect the oil pressure.

Engine oil pressure is done via a releif valve in the oil pump.
FollowupID: 27831

Reply By: Steve Mc - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 09:51

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 09:51
Sensei Im using a Baldwin B50 filter which incorporates a restriction valve basically a 1/16 hole like you said.
AnswerID: 38338

Sponsored Links