Chinchilla to Cunnamulla, which way?

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 19:32
ThreadID: 86921 Views:2352 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Planning out our trip and we have to get from Chinchilla to Cunnamulla and then up to Longreach.

Which way is best to go? We need good road conditions as we are towing an old van. Either way is bascially the same distance.

Chinchilla, Roma, Mitchell, Charleville to Cunnamulla

Or

Chinchilla, Roma, Surat, St George to Cunnamulla

We will be stopping somewhere between for the night as we have 3 children who get rather grumpy if we travel for too long.

Any ideas on where we should stay?

Thanks for your advice.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fred G NSW - Monday, Jun 13, 2011 at 03:41

Monday, Jun 13, 2011 at 03:41
Where's Sir Kev when ya need him. He's the local Minister for Information LOL in that district.

Hopefully he'll be along soon to help you.

AnswerID: 457228

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2011 at 16:51

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2011 at 16:51
I is here Fred LOL

The shortest way from Chinchilla to St George is the following -

Chinchilla - Condamine - Meandarra - Westmar - St George it is 309km from Town centre to town centre.

Toilet stops on the way are in Condamine 60km thereabouts from Chinchilla, Caliguel Lagoon 7km from Condamine, Meandarra, Westmar.

Current road conditions are average from Chinchilla to Meandarra as there is still some flood damage about but driven with a knowledge of possible bad spots it is no worse than the Warrego highway from Dalby to Chinchilla ;)

Do you want to free camp in St George or want a decent Caravan park to Overnight?

If a Caravan park then I would stay at the Pelican Rest Tourist Park eastern side of town.

St George to Cunnamulla is 289km with the small town of Bollon (no fuel in Bollon but a great free camp on the Wallam creek).

Best place for fuel in St George at the moment is at the Mobil distributor on the southern side of town (near the Airport/Mitre 10) usually 1-2cpl cheaper has 24hr swipe card facilities as well ;)

From Cunnamulla head on up to Charleville then continue north to Longreach.

Hope this helps, If you need more info on the Western Downs/St G region let me know :)

GO THE MAROONS

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 730704

Reply By: Member - John & Lil - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2011 at 11:51

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2011 at 11:51
G'day amandaj,

Firstly, I am assuming that you need to go to Cunnamulla before you head off to Longreach. On our outback adventure with our Jayco September last year one of the legs of the trip was Chinchilla to Cunnamulla. Rather than stay on the major road out through Mitchell we chose the St George option. We decided to go via Roma than via Surat for no special reason. From Roma we travelled down the Carnarvon Highway to St George and then the Balonne Highway to Cunnamulla.

We stopped and had lunch at the little picnic ground at the bridge/spillway in St George just before the Highway crosses the Balonne River. St George would be the logical overnight stop.

The Balonne Highway while sealed is narrow and straight. We found that you could see the road trains coming from a far distance and gave us plenty of time to get off the road. The little town of Bollon arrives just in time for a toilet break and an opportunity for a cuppa. The road was good enough for towing a van, the road kill proved more of a hazard than the road. It probably be prudent to check the condition of the road after the floods however.

Next stop is Cunnamulla. We stayed just out of Cunnamulla at Nardoo Station, around 38 klms out of town on the Matilda Highway. Nardoo is a 110,00 acre sheep and cattlle station. They have 10-15 powered sites and the camping fees include the mineral spa and you can wander/drive around the property ant your leisure. Plenty for the the children to do. We only spent one night but have promised ourselves that when we get up that way again we will stay 2-3 nights.

I hope this is the sort of information you were looking for.

Cheers
John
AnswerID: 457500

Sponsored Links