about to travel around oz for the first time

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 20:01
ThreadID: 86924 Views:2287 Replies:7 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
hi,
Just about to travel around Australia for the first time heading north from perth on a really tight budget can anyone give us any tips or tricks on how to survive and make it back alive!!!
we have no time limit and are in a camper van any advice is needed and much appreciated

Thanks heaps :)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: BrownyGU - Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 20:40

Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 20:40
Chiara,

Dont travel at night

Keep your vehicle well maintained

Talk to euorpean back packers, they seem to do it cheaper than anyone.

Cheers....Browny
AnswerID: 457201

Follow Up By: CHIARA- Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 20:45

Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 20:45
hey cheers , i didnt really wat to travel at night coz of wild animals and bad vission but is that the only reason you suggest no night travel?
FollowupID: 730343

Follow Up By: Witi Repartee - Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 21:50

Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 21:50
Hi...did a similar trip, learn to economize on water , use campsites only when you need to shower properly or wash clothes (we used a 12v shower and ensuite tent when bush camping)
Cook a tasty evening meal which has left overs for lunch next day)
Biggest saving is fuel....if your not holding anyone up....cruise at 80/85....it's far more economical.
Buy a copy of camps 6 ...we used this everywhere..in all States...excellent. Buy a GPS and learn how to enter coordinates...it will make finding campsites on camps 6 and other sites easier.

FollowupID: 730347

Follow Up By: CHIARA- Monday, Jun 13, 2011 at 00:28

Monday, Jun 13, 2011 at 00:28
cool 12 v shower is on the list i had brought the solar showers but that bleep itself the frist day!! cheers
FollowupID: 730367

Reply By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 22:08

Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 22:08
best advice I can give, is forget any advice and just enjoy yourself.
If you are worried about money, then hold the trip off until you aren't worried about money,, you'll enjoy yourself better.
My wife and I have been on the road for over 10 years now, so watch out, it's addictive if you do it right.
AnswerID: 457214

Follow Up By: Member - Ozzie Nomad (VIC) - Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 23:10

Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 23:10
Absoutley, just do it.
It's a big country with lots of others cruising around it too. You'll meet plenty of travellers, all with lots of local intel. You'll work out your own systems and routines as you get into your own travel groove.

Come join all the other Aussie Nomads.
Welcome to the fray....see you out there.
Cheers,
Ozzie
FollowupID: 730359

Follow Up By: CHIARA- Monday, Jun 13, 2011 at 00:30

Monday, Jun 13, 2011 at 00:30
yeah thats exactly it sold car quit job turned everything into a campervan the way i see it is ppl do it every day why cant i and id rather do it now befor i change my mind and have a breeeeed of kids!!
FollowupID: 730368

Reply By: lizzyb74 - Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 22:39

Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 22:39
we're a few months into our first big trip, and so far my suggestions include:

1) pack thermal underwear. It doesn't take up much room and is a godsend, esp vests that cover your back. omg, I'm sounding just like my Grandma here, but it's true!! even going north, it will be cold at night.

2) buy a Camps 5 or 6 guide, but also look in forums such as these for other great places to camp.

3) you don't have to shower every day. A good wipe with a thick nappy wipe works wonders!!

4) collect and make use of 4c/L off vouchers. Also on fuel, think about what you're doing. eg we filled up our car plus 2 jerrycans before we started travel in the Snowy Mountains, as fuel was always going to be really expensive there. We saved quite a bit!!

5) pack a hot water bottle (I forgot mine!!)

6) pack drink bottles/thermos and snacks as all of these things are so expensive if you get the munchies when going througfh a servo.

7) look at websites like www.seek.com who have temp jobs going for travellers. Earning some $$$ makes a big difference!

Have fun!!

AnswerID: 457216

Follow Up By: CHIARA- Monday, Jun 13, 2011 at 00:32

Monday, Jun 13, 2011 at 00:32
thank you so much!!
thermals -check
baby wipes- check
camp guide..... must invest!!!
everything else is in the bag
cheers!
FollowupID: 730369

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 22:47

Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 22:47
Hi Chiara

Take your time. Not only will so save on the biggest expense - fuel - by driving less each day, but you will see places thoroughly, travel safer and be more relaxed. It doesn't matter if you don't see as much as you had planned if you have a time frame, although you say no time limit you may have a rough plan like one or two years. I like Tjukayirla Roadhouse's comment that they've been ten years so far. Now that is living the dream.

I have a section on Keeping Costs Down on my website Australia So Much to See but i cannot give you the direct link at present because for the first time in nine months, the site is down. When you can get on, click the Tips and Hints button and look for Keeping Costs Down.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 457217

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 23:19

Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 23:19
Website is back :)

Keeping costs down
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 730362

Follow Up By: CHIARA- Monday, Jun 13, 2011 at 00:27

Monday, Jun 13, 2011 at 00:27
thank you so much im going to have a look at it right now cheers :)
FollowupID: 730366

Reply By: 3 Boys and a Lady - Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 22:58

Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 22:58
Hi Chiara,

We were just told a tip at the Brissie Caravan Show by people who have been travelling for 10 years never stop at a roadside or camp spot on your own. Only stop if others.

Carry a baseball bat beside your husband's side of the bed for louts they may be about at night. Self defence a scare tactic.

Have a great and safe trip.

RGDS
CJ.
AnswerID: 457219

Follow Up By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 23:02

Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 23:02
i would forget that particular bit of advice pretty quickly if you really want to enjoy yourself.. sounds like that person was pretty paranoid..
FollowupID: 730357

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 23:32

Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 23:32
Sure was paranoid! Probably taken out of context and he was joking.

You are MUCH safer out of towns than in any town (caravan park and suburban home included). We try and camp on our own, and never feel safer than camping alone in the outback or desert under the stars - glorious. Paranoid's advice about self defence was poor too (then again i think he was not being serious). IF someone broke into your van or camper in the night; he is wide awake, probably fuelled with alcohol or amphetamines, and eyes accustomed to the dark. You wake up and try to work out what is going on and focus your eyes then reach for your baseball bat. Guess who grabs it from you and who stands a chance of being hit.

We don't camp within about 12 kilometres of a large town, and never on a Friday or Saturday night where an abundance of beer cans and circular tyre tracks suggest it a a party place. We always camp facing out, so we can leave quickly if necessary - more because if it rains and you are on some clays you will be stuck for a long time.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 730363

Follow Up By: CHIARA- Monday, Jun 13, 2011 at 00:36

Monday, Jun 13, 2011 at 00:36
oh my god hows that for freak a girl out!!!!!!

surly its not that bad... we got locks onthe camper that should do it !!!
FollowupID: 730370

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Monday, Jun 13, 2011 at 08:18

Monday, Jun 13, 2011 at 08:18
Chiara,
Travelling for an extended period is different to shorter trips. For a short while you can put up with most things, on a long trip small things can really bug you.

Since this is your first long trip then I would suggest you aim to do a shorter loop first that will bring you back near to your home base after say a month. My guess is you will find that you have things that you don't use and a few things you will find you need. Keep it simple. In our experience having too much stuff is one of the biggest problems. It increases load and gets in the way.

As has been said a good range of clothing for highly varied conditions - even on the same day, is a must. A comfortable chair for each of you to sit and watch the world at the end of each day. Simple cooking gear that you find convenient.

If you can keep cool/warm/dry and have a comfortable place to sleep the rest will work out. If the basics fail then life becomes a grind.

Have a great time and go for it.

cheers
AnswerID: 457234

Reply By: Outback Gazz - Monday, Jun 13, 2011 at 09:34

Monday, Jun 13, 2011 at 09:34
Howdy - Try and get your hands on a book written by a chap named Bian Sheedy titled Travelling Australia on a budget or at least I think that's what it's called. It's getting a bit old now but I did read it about 10 years ago and got some great tips - not just on saving money !

Happy travelling

Gazz

Ps - the best thing to take with you is a relaxed nothing is a problem attitude and if something goes wrong just laugh about it and don't stress ! Also don't waste time trying to find out what's going on back home and DON'T argue with your partner for any reason !!
AnswerID: 457248

Sponsored Links