Aux fuel tank - need fittings

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 22:07
ThreadID: 86928 Views:1924 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I've just had a custom diesel tank made that will gravity feed into the main tank.

I'm now hunting down some required fittings and are hoping you can help point me in the right direction.

1. I need a fuel filler to mount to the side of the vehicle (a vertical face), but because there is only a 30cm drop between where the filler will be and the entry point to the tank, I need the filler to be as sharply angled down as possible. It is a requirement that I be able to lock the fill point.

2. I need to 'tap into' the side of the original tank toward the bottom (you cannot get to the top of the tank as the gravity feed will not work). I've read about a method where you drill a hole in the tank (empty of course), feed a piece of wire down through the original fill point, and out the new hole, then run a hollow bolt down the wire, get the threaded shaft of the bolt through the hole and then put a nut on, remove the wire, and then connect the fuel line to the shaft of the bolt somehow.

Does anyone know where to source such fittings?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 22:23

Sunday, Jun 12, 2011 at 22:23
Whitworths have a really good on line catalouge with heaps of fittings in it...
AnswerID: 457215

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Monday, Jun 13, 2011 at 08:02

Monday, Jun 13, 2011 at 08:02
I have found Pirtek outlets to be a good source of unusual one-off fittings that I have needed.
AnswerID: 457233

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Monday, Jun 13, 2011 at 08:22

Monday, Jun 13, 2011 at 08:22
Rather than stuff around with the existing fuel system you would be better off to use a fuel pump to transfer from the aux to the main tank, quicker, easier to connect up as you can tee into the filler neck or a breather line on the main tank.
Also easier to isolate the tanks if you have fuel problems or a leak in one tank.
AnswerID: 457236

Follow Up By: Tim Owen - Monday, Jun 13, 2011 at 17:21

Monday, Jun 13, 2011 at 17:21
Thanks Peter - does seem like a reasonable option, and at least the pumps seem relatively easy to source.

Would this do?

I wonder if you can hear when the pump runs dry so you know when to turn it off?
FollowupID: 730422

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Monday, Jun 13, 2011 at 18:28

Monday, Jun 13, 2011 at 18:28
I've been using the Whale plastic inline pumps that people fit to caravans to supply water to the taps, cheaper and with 1/2" fittings really shift the fuel quickly.
They are rated for use with diesel and I've had two in the Humvee for over 7 years now and one was previously in a troopy for a few years before that.
Like this Whale pump
Being waterproof and small they can hang in the fuel line between the tanks. They aren't self priming so need to be below the tank outlet.
FollowupID: 730434

Follow Up By: Tim Owen - Monday, Jun 13, 2011 at 21:33

Monday, Jun 13, 2011 at 21:33
Thanks - just picked one up from a marine supplier for $56 + shipping at cost. Now I've got another bloody wiring job to do!
FollowupID: 730468

Sponsored Links