Alice Springs Caravan Parks

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 15, 2011 at 19:37
ThreadID: 87014 Views:2617 Replies:5 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
We will be in Alice Springs in a week or so with another couple and want to book ahead. Have previously stayed in 'G'Day Mate' which was fine and friendly, but would prefer to stay in one with a dump point for our van toilet and am thinking of choosing 'Wintersun' Top Tourist park instead for that reason only.

Wondering whether anyone has stayed there recently and if so, could you let me know whether you would recommend it? We are Top Tourist members so would get the discount.

Or maybe if you have stayed in 'G'Day Mate' recently you could let me know whether it has a dump point? Can't find anything on the website about it having one.

Thanks,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ross G (NT) - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2011 at 19:45

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2011 at 19:45
Heather,
Don't know if G'Day Mate has a dump point but there is one just near Blatherskite Park on the road to the Council tip. You could dump there and then go to CP. We live in Alice so don't tend to use the CP's here ;-)
AnswerID: 457543

Follow Up By: Member - Heather MG NSW - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2011 at 20:15

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2011 at 20:15
Thanks Ross,

Yes I located the town dump point but if we dont need to dump it when we get to town, we will have to make a special trip to do so....may as well stay in a park where there is one.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Regards,

Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 730728

Reply By: Member - reggy 2 (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2011 at 20:04

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2011 at 20:04
We stayed at the CP just west of the traffic lights the main west rd without looking up details it was fine not sure of dump site
We also stayed CP just North of toyota dealers on main Hyway left side it was also fine sorry still not sure of dump site
If u can't find on the net let me know I have a book with names.
Cheers reggy2
AnswerID: 457547

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2011 at 20:42

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2011 at 20:42
Hi Heather

We have stayed at the Wintersun a number of times and it is a great park and would stay there again, no questions asked. Close enough to walk into the town centre.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 457549

Follow Up By: Member - Heather MG NSW - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2011 at 21:14

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2011 at 21:14
Thank you Stephen... that is what I required. Will contact them a few days before we plan to be in Alice. On our way to Uluru, Kings Canyon, and Rainbow Valley before then.
You don't happen to know have first hand knowledge of the Ernest Giles road do you? Thinking we may take that road back from Kings Canyon so we can see Rainbow Valley without having to do all those extra kms just to stay on bitumen.
I have had a look on the NT Roads website and it doesnt look to be a problem.

Regards,

Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 730732

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2011 at 21:39

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2011 at 21:39
Hi Heather

If you know firm dates for when you will be in Alice Springs, I would get in contact with Robbie (The owner and a top bloke ) as soon as possible to make your bookings, as this time of the year is always very busy in the Alice. My mum and dad have spent months there over the years up there and always stay there as it is so central and safe. As we have stayed they a number of times, one time when we wanted to get in, they were full, but Robbie was able to get us in.

As for the Ernest Giles Road, the last 3 times we have been past it there was a sign advising not recommended for caravans. Personally we have never found the road a problem, sandy in sections but have been on far worse roads. Like all things, drop the tyre pressures right down and slow down for the conditions, after all, you know your own driving abilities.

Rainbow Valley is a top spot, but make sure that you have collected wood well before entering the area, as there is not a lot to collect on the way in. While driving past, it is worth a quick stop at the Henbury Meteorite Site along the way.

Have a great trip, and if the Rock climb is open(Ayers Rock that is), go for it, as the views on the way up and from the top are well worth the climb. When you do the Kings Canyon Rim walk, make sure you also go into the Garden of Eden.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 730735

Follow Up By: Member - Heather MG NSW - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2011 at 21:52

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2011 at 21:52
Thanks for that information Stephen.

As usual you are very helpful. We may decide to do the Mereenie Loop instead of the Ernest Giles, if there is signage re it not being suitable for vans, and stay a few days in the West Macdonnells before getting to Alice. We have plans to hike Mt Sonder. Have already done many of the other walks there but may re do some.

We have done the Uluru climb but only to the end of the chain so are returning to go further. I didn't take my camera last time but will ensure I have it on this occasion.

We have also done the rim walk at Kings Canyon -- a few years ago - and are planning to do it again.

Regards,

Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 730737

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2011 at 21:58

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2011 at 21:58
Hi Heather,

When you are driving past the Ernest Giles Road on the way to Kings Canyon, stop to see the start on the road and if the sign is still there, then take it from there.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 730738

Follow Up By: Fred G NSW - Thursday, Jun 16, 2011 at 10:43

Thursday, Jun 16, 2011 at 10:43
A big thumbs up from us for the Wintersun, for all the reasons Stephen outlined. Very friendly, and a great park. First choice for us in Alice every time.

It is also walking distance from a beaut little shopping centre.

Fred.
FollowupID: 730768

Follow Up By: Member - Heather MG NSW - Thursday, Jun 16, 2011 at 15:52

Thursday, Jun 16, 2011 at 15:52
Thank you Fred,

I will phone and book sites as soon as I know what dates suit us. Sounds great.

Regards,

Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 730795

Reply By: Not so grey nomads - Thursday, Jun 16, 2011 at 21:10

Thursday, Jun 16, 2011 at 21:10
We stayed at G'day Mate only a couple of weeks ago. The manager was a top bloke with service. The amenities were spotless, the camp kitchen was clean, and EACH site has its own sewer access point for cassette toilets. Plenty of lawn, park was very busy and sites were close together. We had previously stayed at the Big4. A lovely, but well over priced park.
Anthony
AnswerID: 457647

Follow Up By: Member - Heather MG NSW - Thursday, Jun 16, 2011 at 22:17

Thursday, Jun 16, 2011 at 22:17
Thanks Anthony,

We stayed there a few years back and were happy enough with the place but think we will try the Top Tourist one this time.

Regards,

Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 730839

Reply By: Lucko - Friday, Jun 17, 2011 at 13:17

Friday, Jun 17, 2011 at 13:17
We stayed at Heavitree Gap just last week, excellent park with car wash bay and dump point. $24/pn if you have a Seniors card. There is a shop and tavern attached, very good security. Each night of the week the tavern has a $10 meal deal, different each night. We stayed 5 nights (visiting our oldest bloke) and there was no trouble at all, a far cry from our last visit 2 years ago.
Mark
AnswerID: 457715

Follow Up By: Member - Heather MG NSW - Saturday, Jun 18, 2011 at 21:10

Saturday, Jun 18, 2011 at 21:10
Thanks for taking the time to reply Mark.

Heavitree Gap sounds good, however I booked us into the Wintersun park for a few nights so will go with that now.

regards,

Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 731109

Sponsored Links