Otways Protest coming up.

Submitted: Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 12:52
ThreadID: 8719 Views:2202 Replies:2 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
To all Interested 4WDrivers!
Folks,

Please find attached a notice to all interested Four wheel Drivers about the weekend event organised by Our Parks in protest at the VEAC proposal to create the Otways National Park. We would encourage anyone who is able to make it to join in the tours and support this event.

Regards,
Brian Cox
Four Wheel Drive Victoria
PO Box 596
Balwyn North 3104
tel: 03 9857 5209
fax: 03 9857 5260
email: vafwdc@vafwdc.org.au
www.vafwdc.org.au

You are invited to join
Our Parks

TWO DAY PROGRAM OF ACTIVITIES
SATURDAY 29TH AND SUNDAY 30TH NOVEMBER

CAMPING, WALKS,
TOURS WITH LOCAL EXPERTS
WITH OFFICIAL TOAST - SUNDAY 1PM SHARP

· Tours of the Otways both days
Leaving from the Forrest Football Ground
at 9.30am and 1.15pm each day

SATURDAY NIGHT
· Historical Picture Show at Forrest
(commentary by Jim Speirs)
· 8.30 pm - Bush Dance at Forrest
· Camping Sites available
At Dandos, Forrest and Stevensons Falls

SUNDAY
November 30
at the Barwon Dam
1km south of Forrest
Turn left from Colac Apollo Bay Road
TOAST
WITH PURE OTWAY WATER STRAIGHT FROM THE DAM

IS AT 1 PM SHARP
(so make sure you are back from walks and drives
and at the Barwon Dam by 12.30)

B.Y.O. LUNCH

· Register on arrival at the Forrest Football Ground for the Weekend Program and Tours.
· A donation of $10 for two day tours, $5 for one day tours would be appreciated
· CD's and forest drive sheets are included in the package for each registrant.

For More Info - Phone JIM 52366363
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jo - Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 12:58

Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 12:58
I don't quite get it... is this to protest AGAINST the creation of a national park?
?
jo
AnswerID: 38256

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 13:02

Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 13:02
To protest against it yes.. They are closing access to the area for everyone...

You arent related to Simon are you?
FollowupID: 27777

Follow Up By: jo - Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 13:49

Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 13:49
no simon that i know of.

I guess I'd rather be there to support the creation of a National Park, even if it means no acess for humans, only beacause it would be nice for the creatures to have a bit of privacy from us grumbling about in our trucks.
There are altenatives to national parks, areas can be made into "reserves" which means you can still 4wd, trail bike, horse ride etc. Recently the area over our back fence was proposed as a national park by some greenies. (Black Bulga adjoining Barringtons)The community loved the idea of protecting it from further logging, especially after seeing the proposed logging plans (amazing what they think is "sustainable" forestry these days!).
However, most of us use the area recreationally.
After getting all the 4wd and horse riding people together, a submission was made from the commmunity to the government to have the area classed as a reserve.
Bob Carr granted this and we can now look forward to a beautiful area protected, yet still able to access. After all, most 4wders would be out there to enjoy it, not tear it up!!!!!

Maybe if its not to late those folks at the otways could look at having a section classed as reserve so they can still play about.
It is a huge effort to get these areas protected and it would be a shame for recreational users and those wishing to create protected areas be opposite forces when they could work together to see more of our beautiful forests protected !

jo
FollowupID: 27779

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 14:30

Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 14:30
No, no reserve.. CLOSED.. Once everywhere is a national park, (going for the 1% minority greens vote there by bracks) what will you do?

Bob Carr is bleep , that was one reason I left NSW... If you think Bracks will do ANYTHING for people you are dreaming.

Id rather shoot all Politicians than close 1 area to public access.

Its a huge effort to keep these places open, why should they close to us? Do you know what % of the country is unaccessable, and free for the pretty little creatures to access? More than we can access. They dont need anymore.

FollowupID: 27784

Follow Up By: jo - Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 15:03

Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 15:03
Ahhh I did'nt mean to get you all grumpy in the arvo, Truckster! :)

I certainally agree that polliticians would make nice compost.

FollowupID: 27786

Follow Up By: jackablue - Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 16:13

Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 16:13
Wilderness is worse, you can't ride a push bike through a fire trail ,you can't camp there you can't even walk through there in groups less than 3 & 1 has to be a guide? All these stupid rules.

But it's there for everyone to use??????

Jackablue
FollowupID: 27796

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 13:53

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 13:53
Jacka...

Exactly my point!

Whats happening to this place, I moved to Melbourne 2 years ago to get away from Carr's crazyness in NSW.. now this place is turning to bleep too...
FollowupID: 27876

Reply By: Member - JohnR - Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 17:13

Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 17:13
Truckster, this is right in my back yard and would love to go but the influential lady has booked me in at the Davis Cup for the three days this coming weekend.

I was shocked at the thought that anyone could see much of the Otways now as pristine forest as it is a mere vaneer(pun intended). There are strips of forest along some road ways only and much of the forest has been pine and recently harvested. On some of the tracks trees had been pushed above and were sticking out over the track. Ready for more plantings I guess, to the ecological desert of pines or blue gums.

If you think it is a minor area think again as I am at the western end.

I don't like the clear felling to the extent it can and does happen but when it has happened and then declared a National Park there is a lot of deceit involved by the planners. I can't say I am surprised.
AnswerID: 38274

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 17:28

Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 17:28
You would rather go to Tennis than watch paint dry? or Protest in this case ;)~
FollowupID: 27802

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR - Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 17:47

Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 17:47
Can send a great tennis powerpoint email Truckster ;)~ Unfortunately the tickets were booked months ago and at the price of em........ and accommodation in town too! Sounds attractive not to have booked em but supported Lleyton since I watched him in Barcelona in front of a bull fighting crowd of tennis improbables in Y2K

I have street marched a few times before too.
FollowupID: 27804

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 09:16

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 09:16
Cant stand hewitt, its just a spoilt brat.
FollowupID: 27849

Sponsored Links