fuel economy

Submitted: Monday, Mar 25, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 872 Views:1860 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I have recently purchased a manual 3.0L Turbo-Diesel Jackaroo. I am extremely happy with its performance both on & off-road but feel that it may be a bit thirsty on the fuel. From all the reports in 4wd magazines that i read, the figures quoted were from 10.9L/100Km - 12.5L. I don't seem to get any better than 13.0L city or highway driving. Can anyone with a similar vehicle give me some feedback on their figures
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Stewart Hunt - Monday, Mar 25, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Mar 25, 2002 at 01:00
Damien, I have the TD Auto, with a TJM roof rack and LR fuel tank, and I am getting between 11.5-13 around town. (I have a bit of a lead foot). I have heard that the Jackaroo likes the Hiclone, which could make a difference if you were prepared to pay for one.

Stew.
AnswerID: 2507

Follow Up By: Damien Marshall - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2002 at 01:00
Thanks for the reply stew, it appears that my consumption is a little on the high side. Interesting that you mention the Hiclone as i have just been looking into it myself - looks like it might be worth a try.
FollowupID: 938

Follow Up By: Steven - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2002 at 01:00
Damien, please have a look at overlander.com
at there forum, there is a lot of discussion about the hiclone, add some common sense, and realise that you can't get a mechanical efficiency for a $ by putting a bit of finned metal in a manifold..that stopped in the early 1980's, when the aussie car world was dragged into the european equivilant of the 1960's.
vehicle manufacturers spend millions trying to get the best efficienies from engine designs..and occasionally australian importers let them into here, then people want to go the the local wankmart and buy some thing that sounds good, looks allright, and has some non-scientific unqualified assessment. Please talk to your local mechanic or 2..Sorry if this is harsh, but god, is a piece of finned metal worth that sort of money, how does it transform into reduced energy consumption that engine designers don't realise.. betcha brockie and dicko never had them..
more power, less fuel consumption..give me a break..in other words, something for nothing..from an already impressive turbo diesel, next it will be a winged keel for the inlet manifold!
FollowupID: 939

Reply By: Stewart Hunt - Wednesday, Mar 27, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Mar 27, 2002 at 01:00
Damien, just a little more info on the Hiclone. I have read some reports from Turbo Diesel Jackaroo Owners that have stated that they definitely gained improved power and fuel economy after fitting the Hiclone. I have not read any stating otherwise (remember I am talking about the TD Jackaroo 3L here). I fully understand Steven's reply below, however I feel that from what I have read, it may be worth a try. A current affair did a report recently on these devices. The testing was conducted by FORD in Melbourne (not an independant testing facility), and it was interesting to note that the Hiclone actually reduced harmful emmisions by over 20%. A fact that the reporters neglected to point out. Some would say, why would you spend $180 to increase your fuel economy and power when it would take years to make the saving up. I say, that if I can get more km's to the tank, and better power, right now, then is is worth a try. (By the way, I don't work for Hiclone, I am just a keen Jackaroo owner, on to my third one).

Stew.
AnswerID: 2522

Reply By: Joe - Wednesday, Mar 27, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Mar 27, 2002 at 01:00
Damien,

Just a thought, if you have recently puchased the Jack' then you should expect the fuel consumption to be a little on the high side until the engine beds in. From other discussions this is often not until the 20,000 klm mark or later.

I retain more than a little suspicion about the capabilities of the Hiclone to do anything other than separate you from your money. However, I have read of many people who believe they work for them.

Enjoy the Jack' and see you out on the tracks.

Joe
AnswerID: 2526

Reply By: Robert - Thursday, Mar 28, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Mar 28, 2002 at 01:00
If the Hiclone really worked then everyone would have one! and certainly car manufactors would have them installed as standard equipment.
If there's any improvement it's obvisiously so marginal it's not worth wasting money on. I'll bet if you removed a hiclone from someones vehicle without them knowing they wouldn't notice any difference.

AnswerID: 2540

Reply By: DAMIEN - Thursday, Mar 28, 2002 at 01:00

Thanks for all the replies guys. Obviously the Hiclone generates much debate out there & everyone has the right to their own opinion. I'm no expert & that's why it's good to get differing views on the matter.
Hiclone or no hiclone, i think my "jack" is using too much fuel & i want to sort out why!!!
AnswerID: 2542

Reply By: John Sullivan - Thursday, Mar 28, 2002 at 01:00

Damien, Just my two cents worth. I bought a Hiclone, trialled it on the dyno and gained 2 kw. Ran it for two months and found no increase in fuel economy. Had it removed under money back warranty. Needed two for my 2.8 TD Patrol. The money back was half the cost of 3" exhaust, better fuel economy and more power. Hope it helps a little.
AnswerID: 2544

Follow Up By: Damien Marshall - Friday, Mar 29, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Mar 29, 2002 at 01:00
Thanks for the follow-up John, your advice is appreciated. It's good to get some feedback from people who have actually trialled the hiclone.
FollowupID: 948

Follow Up By: Jim Searle - Thursday, Apr 04, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Apr 04, 2002 at 00:00
John, I too have a 2.8Turbo GU. My economy has decreased by about 10% in 80,00km. What sort of economy do you get and can you comment on the cost and effect of the new exhaust. Many thanks Jim
FollowupID: 977

Reply By: OWEN - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2002 at 00:00
I have the SE auto TD,when new 10-10.5L/100k. This has slowly dropped off to 12-12.5L at 35k. After changing the air cleaner,it was dirty,10.5-11L around town. With normal servicing its changed at 80k.
AnswerID: 2606

Follow Up By: Damien - Friday, Apr 05, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Apr 05, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks for the follow-up Owen. I've pulled the air filter out a couple of times after driving in dusty conditions & found it was pretty clogged up. After a few knocks on the ground it seemed ok - maybe time to change it though!!
FollowupID: 982

Sponsored Links