Waeco temperature reading

Submitted: Monday, Jun 27, 2011 at 23:36
ThreadID: 87245 Views:3043 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
The other day I bought one of those Waeco temperature guages. Experimenting with it today I noticed a descrepency in the reading from the unit and the fridge. The fridge says minus 4, while the unit says (plus)1.7. Thats almost six degrees difference. Where is the temperature taken from in the fridge? I was always told the bottom, and that is where the unit sensor is.
I also have some frozen meat in there, so as not to work the motor while empty.

Any ideas on which is correct?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Al (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2011 at 07:33

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2011 at 07:33
To test your new thermometer, crush some ice, mix it with a little cold water and immerse the thermometer bulb. It should read 0 degrees.
Of course that is only one point in its range but if close then it would probably be close to correct elsewhere in its range.
Not sure where your fridge measures its temperature but probably about 1/3 from the bottom. To be comparative, your Waeco thermometer would need to be in close contact with the side of the evaporator. However to indicate the true temperature of the contents, the bulb should be within the contents, not in contact with the evaporator.

What do you mean by "so as not to work the motor while empty"?

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 458631

Follow Up By: SDG - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2011 at 15:12

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2011 at 15:12
I was thinking along the lines that if the fridge was empty, the air inside would warm up quicker and more often, than if it had some cold things in it. Therefore reducing the need for the motor to cut in and out as often.
FollowupID: 732180

Follow Up By: Member Al (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2011 at 15:31

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2011 at 15:31
Yes SDG, With a cold mass in the fridge it will act as a heat-sink and the fridge will cycle less often. However, when it does cut-in it will run longer and stay off longer. The total running time over 24hrs will be the same. The energy that the compressor has to provide is exactly the total heat gain (cold loss) through the cabinet insulation and from opening and adding warm foods or cans.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 732184

Reply By: Grizzle - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2011 at 09:55

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2011 at 09:55
i have a CF50 and have the sensor on the ridge between the fridge section and cooler section. Gives a pretty accurate reading

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 458641

Follow Up By: SDG - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2011 at 15:15

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2011 at 15:15
Short of just hanging it in there, that looks to be about the only spot to put it where it is not going to get damaged. Either that or take the cage out. I have not tried there yet. I thought it might have been warmer up the top.
FollowupID: 732181

Reply By: Member - Peter R (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2011 at 11:35

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2011 at 11:35
I asked the question of Waeco and they said the fridge guage was an average and would differ from the waeco temp guage with the probe.

It takes a bit of experimenting but if I set the fridge lower than what I want it seems to work for me.

My empty CF50 is currently set at zero but is showing 4.7 on probe guage , 4 on probe is a good beer temperature.

Pedro
AnswerID: 458648

Follow Up By: SDG - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2011 at 15:18

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2011 at 15:18
Sounds good. Nothing worse than getting a beer out, and having to wait half an hour for it to thaw.
FollowupID: 732182

Sponsored Links