Jayco Dove & Chescold upright C100 Fridge

Submitted: Monday, Nov 24, 2003 at 23:31
ThreadID: 8730 Views:8852 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys

I've just discovered this site in my quest for more information on the Chescold upright fridge in our Jayco Dove camper and am very impressed with the topics being discussed!

I have a couple of queries about my fridge, which I wonder if some of you might be able to help with :). Please excuse the amateurs!

We bought the camper second hand a couple of months ago and took it out at the weekend for the first time. We had a ball ... but discovered that the fridge didn't seem to get cold running on gas. It works find on 240V. Anyhow, despite fiddling with the gas cylinder, checking the external workings, reading the instructions (I did, not DH!) and crossing our fingers and toes, the fridge still would not get cold. We figured even though the gauge on the front said that the pilot light was lit, that it wasn't working. However, when it got dark, we realised from the outside of the van that the pilot light was actually alight and on further investigation we realised that the top of the fridge was getting quite warm ... the fridge wasn't getting any colder. My DH rang Jayco today to be told that trying to get the fridge cold from warm on gas, was going to take a long, long time. It was suggested that we should get the fridge cold either on 12v or 240v before leaving home and when we get to the campsite, run the fridge on gas to maintain the temperature. I wonder if any of you with experience of this or similar fridges have any comments to make on this. Reading from the archives I understand that these are silent units which answers another of my questions as to why we couldn't hear any noise.

What sort of gas consumption are we looking at (in time and MJ) for this type of fridge?

Are there any sites I can go to for specs (my search engines have revealed little).

Is it worth having the fridge checked? Could there be anything else wrong with it? (I believe it to be an 88/89 model). Do they need regassing?????

How does this type of fridge operate?

Are there any suggestions for caravan fridge service people in Perth?

I appreciate any information you might be able to offer me. If it's too much to put into the forum, please feel free to email us privately at micknmark@optusnet.com.au.

Cheers
Michelle

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mark - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 00:05

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 00:05
A 3 way fridge always performs better on gas, not 12V or 240V. The fridge works by heating the special eutetic fluid and then as the fluid condenses, the fridge interior gets cold. The more "heat" produced, the colder it gets (not logical, but true).

When run on 12V or 240V, it is simply a heating element that "boils" the eutetic fluid. When run on gas, its a hot flame, much hotter than a heating element, hence the fridge gets colder on gas. Note that these fridges must be level to operate properly, but still work on a bit of an angle (the fluid works on gravity, not a pump).

A good way to check if its running is feel the small exhaust vent on the van exterior. If its quite warm, then the gas is lit. It is unusual to work well on 12/240 and not on gas (if flame is going). I suspect that although the pilot flame is going, the main burner is not lighting. Depending on how handy you are, its not that hard to check by removing the fridge from the van. Otherwise you may need to have it checked by a competent technician (not the one who told you to run it on 12/240 in preference to gas - 12V is the poorest performance of these fridges).

Cheers

Mark
AnswerID: 38318

Follow Up By: Micknmark - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 11:26

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 11:26
Thanks Mark
The fridge was level (we checked with a gauge) and the top of the fridge and the exhaust vent at the back got warm ... the technician actually suggested to my husband that we run the fridge on 240v prior to leaving and then use the gas to maintain the cool once we arrive at our campsite. He indicated that the gas was going to take a long time for the fridge to cool from warm but would be okay for maintaining the temperature if it was already cold when the gas was running. Does this sound right?
Cheers
Michelle
FollowupID: 27856

Follow Up By: Mark - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 12:23

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 12:23
Hi Michelle

All 3 power sources (12/240/gas) rely on heating the fridge fluid. When in normal good working order, gas results in the best performance on these types of fridge.

As for using 240 to initially cool, it may be more convinient (simply plug in), but definetely not better performance. Think about it, the 240 simply powers a heating wire wrapped around the pipe with the fridge fluid. Gas uses a flame to heat that same pipe containing the fluid. The hotter the fluid (with limitations) the better the performance.

However, a lot of people use the 240 to initially cool at home as after say 24 hours both will be at the same cold temp and you now have your gas bottle full for when camped.

As a latter post suggested, look at all things related to the gas pressure/burner/flame etc... I think this is where you will find a problem. If not used for a while, insects commonly make webs/nests etc in the small gas jets and block them. This is where a small wire (can actually buy calibrated wire cleaners) can be used to clear the holes.

These types of fridges are popular because of their good performance on gas (and not requiring electricity) hence great for bush camping for long time periods.

Cheers

Mark

FollowupID: 27864

Reply By: Rod - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 09:27

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 09:27
Michelle

Have a look at : http://www.aroundoz.com/ac_menus/refrigeration.htm

I believe both Electrolux and Chescold are actually both manufactured by the parent company Dometic and work on exactly the same principal. I see a lot of discussion around incorrect ventilation at the back of caravan fridges mucking things up.

Good Luck

Rod
AnswerID: 38336

Follow Up By: Micknmark - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 11:16

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 11:16
Thanks Rod
This site looks the goods ...
Cheers
Michelle
FollowupID: 27855

Reply By: Gerry - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 10:33

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 10:33
Hi

If the fridge works on 12/240v then the refrigerant gas charge is OK. I suggest the first thing to check is that the LPG supply pressure to the burner is correct. There should be a nametag on the fridge somewhere (either on the back or inside the door somewhere) with the supply gas pressure stated on it. If the gas pressure is down then you will get insufficient heat but if the pressure is too high then you will actually get too much heat and the wrong size/shape flame which also impedes performance. Secondly, make sure the flu is clean and not coated with soot and dust.

Make sure you have plenty of ventilation at the rear of the fridge. Fitting a small 12V fan behind the top fan to draw air out (computer power supplies have a 12V fan which works very nicely) may aid ventilation in hot weather.

They do take a long while to get cold initially so be a little patient, but make sure the gas pressure is correct. If you don't feel you can do this yourself, any good caravan place should be able to help you, it's a fairly simple job.

Hope that helps
Gerry
AnswerID: 38344

Follow Up By: Micknmark - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 11:29

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 11:29
Thanks Gerry
We hadn't thought of the gas pressure ... I'll get my husband to have a look at the fridge and then see if we can have the pressure checked somewhere. I don't believe that the fridge has been used with gas for some time (if ever) ... the previous owners said that they used 240v mainly.
Cheers
Michelle
FollowupID: 27857

Reply By: cruiser - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 12:38

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 12:38
Micknmark,

We had the same problem with the fridge in our camper and we were told to remove it from the camper and turn it upside down for 24 hours and then reinstall it and see if it worked properly then. If it did then it meant that there was a blockage and that it needed to be "flushed"

We did as told and lo and behold, it worked OK. We then had it serviced by a refrigeration mechanic and he said that it was not uncommon for them to develop a blockage if the were mainly used on 240V or 12V.

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 38357

Reply By: Micknmark - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 12:47

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 12:47
Thanks guys for all your suggestions ... I really appreciate the assistance. We'll take the vent off and check it all out, perhaps turn it upside down, etc. ... BUT just in case it still needs a service ... does anyone know of a good service technician here in Perth? Jayco don't seem that interested!
Cheers
Michelle
AnswerID: 38361

Reply By: Member - Eskimo - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 17:45

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 17:45
These are absorption fridges and to eplain how they work would become too technical for the inexperienced.

However as has been said previously, if it works okay on one type of heat source then it should work as well on the others...

the gas cant be hot enough/large flame

Wow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
AnswerID: 38410

Reply By: Rod - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 19:22

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 19:22
Another thing to try is that the gas jet may be partially blocked with dust. Had my cleaned in Darwin. The problem was that to the naked eye, the flame looked OK
AnswerID: 38428

Sponsored Links