Blue vs clear lights

Hi guys

I have decided on Narva 225's for the Prado but I don't understand the difference between having the blue lenses vs the clear lenses. Do they make any difference other than looking "cool".

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Steph
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Danger Mouse - Sunday, Jul 03, 2011 at 16:15

Sunday, Jul 03, 2011 at 16:15
Steph, I have the crystal blue lens covers on my light force 240 XGT's and the difference is marked. The blue gives off a much cleaner, whiter light than the clear lens which produces a light that is more yellow/orange. I personally find the cleaner light less tiring and easier on the eyes on longer trips at night and I think that the visibility is better.

My 2c's worth. Hope that helps.

DM
AnswerID: 459079

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen W1 (VIC) - Sunday, Jul 03, 2011 at 16:30

Sunday, Jul 03, 2011 at 16:30
thanks DM

I have been told they are easier on longer trips

s
FollowupID: 732643

Follow Up By: Fab72 - Monday, Jul 04, 2011 at 12:54

Monday, Jul 04, 2011 at 12:54
Have the blue lenses on the truck I drive.
Agree with Mr. Mouse.
FollowupID: 732699

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Jul 03, 2011 at 16:57

Sunday, Jul 03, 2011 at 16:57
A blue lens is a filter, cutting out much of the red and yellow light leaving the blue end of the spectrum.

The light will look more like daylight colour. The advantage is that if you hve HID headlights then your 225's will shine a light that is more similar to the HID colour which is less distracting than the more yellow halogen colour. If you have ordinary halogen headlights then the opposite will occur. Ie it will be more distracting seeing 2 colours of light in front of you.

Regardless, there is a BIG price. Your lights will not be as bright, you are filtering out some of the lgiht. This is exactly the same as sunglasses.

If you have HID headlights then Halogen driving lights will be almost useless anyway. If you want to match the colour then put HID inserts in the 225's.

Some people will tell you that blue is better for fog, but then others will tell you yellow is better!

In summary, they are a cosmetic thing best left off. A classic case of "if in doubt, leave them out"
AnswerID: 459084

Reply By: Member - Craig F (WA) - Sunday, Jul 03, 2011 at 17:00

Sunday, Jul 03, 2011 at 17:00
Hi Steph,
I have attached Lightforces "Lens Filter" range and recomendations. May give you some insight.

Regards
Craig

CRYSTAL BLUE
Increases clarity.

SNOW BLUE
Ideal for snow, rain and sea spray conditions. Popular for marine applications.

AMBER
Ideal for minimizing glare in dust or foggy conditions.

GREEN
Specifically for spotting animals with sensitive eyes. Decreased visible light signature.

RED
Most popular for night spotting of light shy animals. Decreased visible light signature.

YELLOW
Ideal for fog, silt, haze and dust.
AnswerID: 459085

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2011 at 10:18

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2011 at 10:18
I just applied the 225s with clear lenses to the front of my Disco.

One is a pencil spot beam and the other a wide beam. I purchased a 55 Watt HID replacement kit on eBay for $40 (delivered) and fitted that to the Narvas. Unfortunately, the ballasts won't fit inside the light housing so they are mounted behind the grille.

I already had HID inserts for the low and high beams of the Disco. With the 3 pairs of lights ablaze the illumination is truly awesome. Smoked retina anybody?

Sadly, they look so good I'm sure its just a matter of time before some miscreant decides that his need for them is greater than mine.
AnswerID: 459215

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2011 at 10:20

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2011 at 10:20
I meant to say that all lights are 5000K which seems to give a pure white light with no bluish tinge to speak of.
FollowupID: 732769

Sponsored Links