emphatic YES vote to Poll

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 21:38
ThreadID: 8755 Views:1960 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
With our Govt. funded graphic adverts with emphasis on safer driving practices targeting the young in particular, shouldn't responsible community members expect and demand a consistent , responsible safety message/standard in ALL motor vehicle advertising ?
There are obviously too many in the community who have not witnessed the horror of motor vehicle tragedy first hand. Its gut wrenching trauma and sadness affect all those in the business of attending : ambulance, firefighters, police , hospital medical staff who unavoidably have to confront this reality frequently in their job. Believe me it doesn't get easier the more you attend.
The devastation endured by family members I hope never to face. Pathetically often times we humans only see the light when we are touched personally.
The glossy advertising I abhore depict trendy smart-asked morons pushing the safety envelope , whilst seemingly oblivious to the possibility of something unexpected happening . Heaven forbid another road user incl. cyclist , pedestrian on the road/track impinging on their competitive dream state. These adverts are sending the wrong messages to our young inexperienced and older tryhard adults. Just listen in your neighbourhood and check the rubber marks on the street.
Humans using motor vehicles recklessly in the pathetic belief their exhuberant , grandstanding performance at the wheel compensates for low self esteem should not be encouraged.
Unlike the glossy advertising , believe me , the reality of motor vehicle tragedy is not glamorous.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 22:06

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 22:06
Michael, As someone who has close ties with both sides of the result of an accident, I agree wholeheartedly with your points of view. Whilst I oppose the argument of a special licence for 4 wheel drives, I do support the restriction of high performance vehicles in the hands of younger and inexperienced drivers. In addition to this, I would like the access to enviromentally sensitive areas to also be restricted to those drivers who have undergone at least a basic accredited training course with other areas restricted to the advanced accredited training modules. If we as drivers can demonstrate our care and concerns for our natural habitats, our respective 4WD Associations can then argue our case for greater access to all of our already restricted access to National Parks. We are not all fitness fanatics who are able to endure multi day treks carrying our food, camping equipment etc to these places. It would appear that the ultra's who control our parks forget that many of us have young families, are infirmed or maybe just too old to undertake those activities that they seem to want us all to endure. I'm sorry that I've gone off on a tangent but I think one leads to another. They are just my opinions and I respect the rights of those with opposing views.
AnswerID: 38452

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 22:27

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 22:27
what happened to your rig pic?'S Rioghail Mo Dhream

FollowupID: 27932

Reply By: Hedonist - Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 02:22

Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 02:22
Michael,

I agree 100% that road toll should be reduced. I agree 100% that irresponsible driving should be discouraged.

1) If all television advertising of cars was banned today, what impact do you think it would have on the road toll? 5%, 10%, 25% reduction?

2) Can you think of anything else we could do that might be more effective than just changing the advertising laws?

Cheers,
Pete
AnswerID: 38496

Reply By: Eric from Eric Christopher wholesale - Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 07:06

Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 07:06
Young people will rebel Race cars , do Burnouts , ect ect ect ,most of us did . I did say most . What we need is a safe avenue for kids to go and practice these things . Calder park in the only legle place to race . and its expensive and almost non existent . You may remember 7 years ago . Calder park started burnout comps every Friday night , for the time that it ran , Street racing was down by 50% , Why ? they had somewere to go to unleash there frustrations . Its a little hard for some one to go from Packernam to Calder though. Hence the other 50%.
The reason I got into 4x4 is because its the last frontier so to speak . Hunting has become almost imposible , because its voudou to have a gun , If you own a drag car, there is nowhere to race it .Unless you was to tow it for hours on end .
Now I am told to shut up and not speak about my current hobbie been destroid before my very eyes .

Some of us drink lattei , other hunt shoot and do burnouts , thats life , one does not need to show the other that there way of life is correct . Show me a real plan on saving kids and ill be happy , give them something to do and stop telling them that they cant do something , and you will see a change .

Why do we stop doing butnouts with our cars ? we get sick of it , how do we get sick of it ? we get sick of purchasing new tyres . Give them a place to go , controled and safe , and let them burn rubber till there sick of paying fo it . Give them tracks to race on , and they will get borred of it sooner than later .Eric Christopher wholesale
AnswerID: 38500

Follow Up By: Hedonist - Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 11:46

Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 11:46
I like the approach you are suggesting Eric - Maybe the 4WD equivalent would be more accessible 4WD parks where people could learn the limts of their vehicles and develop their own ability in a controlled environment.

Those who 4WD for the sake of 4WDriving get their thrills without causing unecessary impact in sensitive areas, and those who have just bought there first 4WD can 'try it out' without risking life and limb.

Win/win?

Pete
FollowupID: 27992

Sponsored Links