Any barra biting?

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 17:24
ThreadID: 87568 Views:2250 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
We're tossing up the idea to head to Borroloola over the next couple of days. Anybody fished there recently, or at King Ash Bay and had any success? As a fisherman at the moment, I'm making a good fish feeder! Any tips appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 19:49

Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 19:49
No, nothing biting up here at the moment ..... nothing at all
Image Could Not Be Found
Cheers
Joe
(have a safe trip up eh)
AnswerID: 459945

Follow Up By: i'machocoholic - Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 21:40

Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 21:40
Thanks Joe, my fishing skills are extremely limited. I actually managed to hook two barra in the Pentecost, saw colour as they jumped out the water, then watched in disbelief as they both spat out my live bait. I seriously need some lessons!

I have to ask a stupid question - what is that photo of? It doesn't look like barra to me.....
FollowupID: 733567

Follow Up By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 21:48

Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 21:48
Nice threadfin salmon - hard to catch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 733570

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 21:50

Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 21:50
no not a barra, a "Bluey" or threadfin salmon .....
Hey dont think for a moment you need lessons, thousands of people out there have tryed for years to catch or even HOOK a barra and have yet to do so ....
You have hooked 2, that is excellent eh, well done ...... took me years to just hook one.. and lost heaps before my first landing
Cheers Joe
FollowupID: 733571

Follow Up By: i'machocoholic - Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 22:01

Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 22:01
I hear you Joe. Although not able to land the fish, that was two more bites than my other half!!! :-)
FollowupID: 733573

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 21:46

Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 21:46
Really the wrong time of year for catching barra. They are still there but just lethargic and not biting.

When the water temperature drops below about 26deg they nearly hibernate. I have run lures past their nose withing 50mm and they will ignore it.

If this is the only time you have to fish you will be working very hard to make it happen.

Firstly barra are particular feeders and prefer not to take dead bait. Even during hotter seasonal weather when they are most active they will avoid dead bait.

Using a live bait fish you catch with a cast net will have success. Hook through the rear dorsal.

At this time of year I would often use lures with a rattle inside. Small ones about 50mm to 75mm. Run them deep so a large bib but not a spoon bill. Run them down about 2 to 2.5m.

If you are in fresh water look for some pandanus (?) with a sunny northern aspect where there is some definate shade line but with deep water in front. Cast into the shade and trawl back to the sun.

If you are in salt, try some mud flats with snake drains. Be careful to watch your tide or you will get stuck on the mud flats. If you have an electric troll motor you will have more success. The barra will come out on a dropping tide where the low is in the mid afternoon and they will sun themselves on the mud flats. Often out in the middle of the mud flat away from the snake drains so you will need a good strong cast and little wind. If it is windy just stick to drifting past the front of snake drains and shooting a couple of casts into them. Try a Mann's 10 in green or gold if the water is a bit deeper. For shallow snake drains try a 75mm green or gold bomber.

Wish you luck.

Cheers

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 459957

Follow Up By: i'machocoholic - Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 22:00

Thursday, Jul 14, 2011 at 22:00
I'm going to print off your post...it will help me not look like such a dork when I need to go and buy some lures! :-)

All is not lost if I don't catch something. We're still travelling for another 5 months so I hope during that time I will at least catch something! Cape York next so fingers crossed maybe something there!??

FollowupID: 733572

Reply By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 03:00

Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 03:00
Dear Chocaholic.

Have we missed something obvious here??

It is mostly difficult to snare a barra later in the season. Waters get cool and dark; even the colour of chocolate! Barra are not too interested.

But wait...why not try a chocolate coloured lure...? The later the season, the more the water looks like a kit kat.

And...there's more in this hint dep't...I'd have a go at a #3 treble 2/3 thru said KK with the leading edge shaved off for hydro dynamic performance.

I hope this is helpful. :-)

Cheers.
AnswerID: 459966

Reply By: Member - Desert Storm (QLD) - Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 09:09

Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 09:09
imachocoholic,

we have just returned from a trip on the gulf track via boroloola and roper bar. we didn't do all that good on the way. we didn't have a tinnie, and all we caught from the banks were shark and catfish. but we did catch a potato cod in one of our crab pots!
speaking to others on the road, and they are saying the same thing as everyone else...the water is too cold at the moment.
we even hired a boat while in darwin and tried in the inlets off mandorah, and all we caught there was shark. but plenty of nibbles and good bites to keep us interested. spotted a 3m croc on the banks that day as well. if you are going to try fishing around darwin, watch those tides! they run at around 7 knots, and can be up to 7M tides. trust me...trying to pull and anchor while against that tide is a definate work out!
John
AnswerID: 459979

Reply By: i'machocoholic - Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 09:38

Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 09:38
Thank you all for your responses. I'm gathering the fishing is a bit hit and miss at the moment. If we don't get to the Gulf now at least I have some good tips for next time! Hope to be able to share some good news fishing stories in the future???!!!
AnswerID: 459980

Reply By: ptnuske - Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 10:11

Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 10:11
We have just spent a week out at Shady Camp, near Darwin, and the fishing was great. Not uncommon to catch a dozen barra a day, only problem is that only one of them would be a keeper, 55cm, sometimes. Made for great days as you wouldn't get bored. Oh, did I mention that this was the first time we have been barra fishing??? We found that rubbers were obtaining the best results. Tried the hard juries with no success.

The croc watching was excellent with some massive beasts as long as 4m there every day. As a bonus the opera house nets would be full of red claw every morning from the nearby creek. We still have one fillet in e freezer as we ate the rest, delicious.
AnswerID: 459984

Follow Up By: Member - Duke (TAS) - Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 19:28

Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 19:28
Was out at Cahills Crossing last week end and there were a few nice Barra caught off the bank, hooked a couple myself but failed to bag them.
Duke
FollowupID: 733632

Sponsored Links