Differential in tyre diameters cause problem?

Submitted: Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 12:11
ThreadID: 87579 Views:2368 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
I have two sets of tyres. One for inland and one for the beach. The diameters of each differ by 2mm. If I were to use a tyre from the other set, would the minor difference in diameter create a problem with my transmision?
(You may ask why I would do such a thing but I have 6 'skinnys' and 5 'fats'. One skinny is permanently under the car. Should I damage my one 'fat' spare on the tailgate wheel carrier, I would need to use the 'skinny' spare)
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TerraFirma - Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 12:25

Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 12:25
As long as you stay within 5% of the rolling diameter it shouldn't cause a problem. Variances cause the speedo to become less accurate. Using odd tyres on the same car, say 2mm different on one side would not be recommended. I would suggest nowadays you should be able to find one tyre that suits your needs, unless off course you are comparing a serious mud/sand tyre vs your average road or all terran tyre.
AnswerID: 459992

Follow Up By: Member - Ralph K (WA) - Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 12:37

Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 12:37
Thanks for the info. I didn't think it would be too much of a problem, particularly on the loose stuff. Have already calculated speedo error for both. Don't particularly want to purchase an extra "fatty" and mount it underneath. More likely to need the extra 'skinny' for Anne Beadell etc. than on the beach.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 733598

Reply By: Robin Miller - Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 12:43

Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 12:43
Just about everbody who doesn't rotate their tyres regularly would have 2mm difference Ralph , as tyre wears more on some vehicle positions than others.

I have occasion to run up to 25 mm difference , but when I do I deflate odd one such that both tyres across an axle have same rim height off ground.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 459994

Follow Up By: Member - Ralph K (WA) - Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 12:51

Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 12:51
Thanks Robin.
Good advice re the pressure reduction. One of those common sense solutions that often escapes us city slickers!!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 733599

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 15:35

Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 15:35
Not wanting to hijack the thread, but would that work on a vehicle such as mine, an 80 series Toyota with constant 4WD?
Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 733611

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 17:20

Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 17:20
I probably have read this the wrong way ?? Robin, you say that you drop tyre pressure so that you have same height off ground, ok I get that BUT when on the sand/beach we drop our tyre pressure to get increase our rolling diameter ?? so by you dropping your pressure aren't you increasing the rolling diameter not decreasing ?? Just that mine is full time 4wd as you know and have been interested in these type of scenarios Regards Steve
FollowupID: 733622

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 17:31

Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 17:31
Steve, you don't let your tyre pressure down to increase the rolling diameter, you do it to increase the amount of tread in contact with the road. When you let the pressure down the tyre footprint lengthens.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 733624

Follow Up By: Member - John C (INT) - Saturday, Jul 16, 2011 at 00:08

Saturday, Jul 16, 2011 at 00:08
The term “Constant 4WD” does not mean that 4WD is working all the time so the reference to tyre size is the same as any type of car. During normal use with the center diff lock OFF you are only driving one or at best two wheels at a time. As a diff only drives the axel with the least resistance, the center diff only sends drive to the front or rear diff at one time, the diff in the front or rear then sends power to one wheel at a time. The use of LSD or center diff locks or locking front or rear diffs (not to be confused with center diff locks) can alter the way the power is used by the diff but if a car of any type was “full time 4WD” as the makers would have us believe they would not last more than a short trip on a hard surface as this would be the same as driving a part time 4WD in 4H or 4L. This is only the basic info on the subject and it is far to detailed to try and describe here. John C
FollowupID: 733652

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Jul 16, 2011 at 00:31

Saturday, Jul 16, 2011 at 00:31
I don't understand What John C is trying to get across. There are several styles of constant 4WD. You have the simple type pioneered by Land Rover with 3 diffs, on in each axle and one at the transfer case. There are in addition several types with viscous couplings that replace the centre diff.

When you are running on a hard surface with a 3 diff system the power is delivered to all wheels equally. If not then you would be going nowhere.

When you encounter a soft patch, one of the wheels may loose grip and start to spin. When this happens there will not be much power applied through the wheels and as this happens the motor will rev its head off, a bit like it will when you slip the clutch. When this happens, you lock the centre diff and hopefully one axle will drive you out of trouble.

I think it is the last piece that John is trying to explain.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 733653

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 13:01

Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 13:01
Gday
Gee Ralph, 2mm isn't even the difference between a new tyre and a half worn tyre, which we all have used at some time when we change to our half worn spare. There is a thing in the axle called a differential which will take up that diffence in wheel rotation speed.
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 459997

Follow Up By: Member - Ralph K (WA) - Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 13:18

Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 13:18
Yeah ok I'm a dope...stop picking on me!!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 733601

Reply By: Rob! - Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 16:32

Friday, Jul 15, 2011 at 16:32
That's only 1mm difference in the radius. Pump up the smaller one a bit more.
AnswerID: 460014

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Saturday, Jul 16, 2011 at 02:13

Saturday, Jul 16, 2011 at 02:13
thatll make it pull to one side.
Dont even bother-2mm will make NO difference whatsoever.
FollowupID: 733654

Reply By: BarryMcKenzie - Saturday, Jul 16, 2011 at 03:13

Saturday, Jul 16, 2011 at 03:13
Some of you blokes have too much time on your hands it would seem. The word that keeps coming up here is different as in differential..........
AnswerID: 460055

Reply By: Bigfish - Saturday, Jul 16, 2011 at 18:21

Saturday, Jul 16, 2011 at 18:21
Honestly!! 2mm...Many people wish that was the difference in tyre diameters...Dont worry aboutr it!! 5mm ..No worries.
Find something of importance to worry about.
cheers
AnswerID: 460105

Sponsored Links