Cape York

Hi all, just joined the forum and I am after some info right away !
I am looking at planning a trip to the tip of the cape,(have always wanted to stand right out on the tip of aussie, so what I would like to know is how difficult of a trip is it. What I mean is that I will be talking my young family, wife + 2 kids (both girls aged 6 and 8) and I don't really want it to be a tough slog , as in extreme 4x4 driving river crossings etc( is there an easier way around these sorts of areas?. My tow vehicle is a 100 series cruiser (all standard)2002 model and also will be towing a jayco hawk outback 2009 model.
Thanks in advance, also I have spent half the day looking through all the older posts and I have certainly found out a lot of tips /info .
Thanks again
beakie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kev - Member - Wynnum - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 18:24

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 18:24
Hi Beakie,

Alas, yes, there is an easier way around, you can go straight up the development road and the worst you will come into contact with will be corrugations.

Unfortunately you won't have much of a good time as all the good parts of the Cape are on the side tracks. i.e. Chilly Beach, Vrilya Beach

Having said that, in a 2002 cruiser you will handle anything it throws at you. I don't know your camper but if you take it steady over the rough it will do fine.
Remember the fun is in the exploring. You can always turn back if it gets too difficult.

Kev
AnswerID: 460220

Follow Up By: rumpig - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 19:24

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 19:24
whilst alot of the good stuff is along tracks he doesn't really want to drive / take his van, places such as Twin Falls and Fruitbat Falls are easily accessable just off of the Developmental Road, so he'll still enjoy it IMHO. once up the top they can leave the van behind and day trip to some nice places such as the beach drive up at Somerset Ruins for instance.
plenty of people will say you won't have a good time by not driving the Old Telegraph Track, but i still reckon if the Tip is where they want to get to, they'll enjoy the trip without driving that track.
FollowupID: 733878

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 20:17

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 20:17
wouldn't fancy standard Toyota suspension/shocks up there but otherwise, low tyre pressures, low speed should get you through
FollowupID: 733888

Follow Up By: kidsandall - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 20:20

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 20:20
There was a girl up there when we were there in a new holden ute so toyota suspension will handle it. Just slow down if you need to. The only time suspension is damaged is going to hard/fast.

Josh
FollowupID: 733889

Reply By: kidsandall - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 20:18

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 20:18
The developement road is easy. Just slow down if you have corrugations. Nothing better than standing at the tip. I even swam there (well, dived in and out before I got eaten). There are heaps of things to see without full on 4wding. You can take a side track into gunshot to have a look. We took our girls up there and both are itching to get back. Take your time and enjoy. A must see is the croc tent.

Josh
AnswerID: 460239

Reply By: deserter - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 20:51

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 20:51
I did the Tip to Mareeba in 2 days. Family problems had me coming home quick - but it was still only 2 x 10 hour drives. Its just another dirt road.
AnswerID: 460242

Reply By: Twinkles - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 21:35

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 21:35
I'm at the top, at Punsand Bay right now. Went to the tip today. We did the Old Telegraph track. Great fun.
The Development Rd is a great road, but corrugated. You will have to do one water crossing to get to Elliot and Twin Falls. Not hard.
AnswerID: 460249

Follow Up By: Member - Toby R (WA) - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 22:08

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 22:08
I was up there a month ago so the roads were in great shape and at one stage i had a Hyundai accent and a fancy Audi parked beside me in the Seisia Campground.
FollowupID: 733903

Reply By: redwine - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 22:41

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 22:41
Hi beakie, we have only today arrived back at Lakeland after spending two weeks getting to the tip and back. Travelled in a 2002 Cruiser + tent. Travelled with two girls, aged 7 & 9, they had a ball. About 50% of all vehicles are towing something. We travelled the development road with some side trips to Old Mapoon and around the tip area. You can go and watch some of the OTT crossings at Bramwell Junction (Pine Creek) and a diversion on the way to the Falls (Gunshot). Stayed at the camping ground at Umagico (under new management, right on the beach, not crowded, kids camp free, $10 per adult + $5 if you want power). Checked out the other campgrounds but they were packed to the rafters and one even wanted $50 per night for the four of us!!Twin Falls and Fruit Bat Falls were favourites with the kids, but they were most excited about getting to the 'tip'. Did a day trip to Thursday Island which was expensive but worth it. We had no mechanical issues, but we did see 6 recent model Cruisers/Patrols being shipped from Bamaga to Cairns with water damage. The other most common issue we saw was smashed rear windscreens (about half a dozen) so we'd include a small tarp and masking tape next time. We also saw a few spare wheels on the side of the road that had obviously sheared off the back of vehicles. You won't believe how grubby everything will get, but you'll all love it.
AnswerID: 460254

Reply By: redwine - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 22:43

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 22:43
Hi beakie, we have only today arrived back at Lakeland after spending two weeks getting to the tip and back. Travelled in a 2002 Cruiser + tent. Travelled with two girls, aged 7 & 9, they had a ball. About 50% of all vehicles are towing something. We travelled the development road with some side trips to Old Mapoon and around the tip area. You can go and watch some of the OTT crossings at Bramwell Junction (Pine Creek) and a diversion on the way to the Falls (Gunshot). Stayed at the camping ground at Umagico (under new management, right on the beach, not crowded, kids camp free, $10 per adult + $5 if you want power). Checked out the other campgrounds but they were packed to the rafters and one even wanted $50 per night for the four of us!!Twin Falls and Fruit Bat Falls were favourites with the kids, but they were most excited about getting to the 'tip'. Did a day trip to Thursday Island which was expensive but worth it. We had no mechanical issues, but we did see 6 recent model Cruisers/Patrols being shipped from Bamaga to Cairns with water damage. The other most common issue we saw was smashed rear windscreens (about half a dozen) so we'd include a small tarp and masking tape next time. We also saw a few spare wheels on the side of the road that had obviously sheared off the back of vehicles. You won't believe how grubby everything will get, but you'll all love it.
AnswerID: 460255

Reply By: beakie - Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 16:14

Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 16:14
Thanks very much for all the replies you have all got me keen as, time to start preparing . All the little hints and tips are very much appreciated.
thanks again
beakie
AnswerID: 460292

Sponsored Links