Hilux Surf 90 - 95

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 26, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 877 Views:1659 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I'm considering breaking into a 4WD, partly to do the Birdsville Track and partly to replace an aging Fairlane. Can any readers give me good (or not so good) oil on the Hilux Surf range from 1990 to 1995 (budget precludes later models). Any advice on what to avoid will be appreciated.

Ian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Joe - Tuesday, Mar 26, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Mar 26, 2002 at 01:00
Ian,

Couple of things:

1) You don't need a 4WD to do the Birdsville track these days. Any normal 2WD (without chin spoilers etc) will travel this dirt highway quite happily, except in the rain.

2) The Surf is based upon a strong and reliable platform. The engines have a good reputation, and spares are becoming easier to find. While I don't have any direct experience, if you are looking for a 4WD they do seem to be a good choice for light to medium going.

Have fun.

Joe
AnswerID: 2519

Reply By: Chris - Wednesday, Mar 27, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Mar 27, 2002 at 01:00
Ian, theres a pretty good Surf discussion group available at the following address Toyota_Surf_Australia@yahoogroups.com
that should be able to answer a lot of your questions. Basically overheating (and resultant cracked head) seems to be the main concern, with the 2.4 diesel being the main culprit. I've got a 3litre turbo that needs some work done on its suspension to improve its capabilities, but that seems pretty standard for most off the shelf 4x4s
AnswerID: 2521

Sponsored Links