Garmin Gecko

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 16:56
ThreadID: 8773 Views:2255 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks.......
I'm curious if anyone has used the Garmin Gecko 201 GPS?? It's "little brother" the 101 was reviewed a few months back in Australian 4X4 Monthly and I am budgeting to buy one. If anyone has used one of these units, let me know what you think of them?
Cheers
Brian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tony - Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 18:57

Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 18:57
I have a Gecko 201 with 12v power and cradle.

IMHO an excellent little GPS does nearly everything the dearer ones do and is very simple to use. Would strongly recommend it to anyone looking for a cheap reliable GPS. Recommend 12v power cable as it does use batteries quite quickly.

Purchased mine from Johnny Appleseed online. Cheapest I could find and turned up next day, brillant service.

Hope that Helps
AnswerID: 38581

Reply By: srijuth - Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 22:23

Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 22:23
Brian,

I purchased my GPS a few weeks after reading the same article. The Geko is a pretty good basic unit but before you go and spend your $200 or so dollars on it think very carefully about what you are going to use it for.

You might want to check if the 101 has an interface to connect it to the PC. If it doesn't and you want to enter waypoints (manually) I think you will end up throwing it aginst the wall.

Is it going for hiking or 4wd'ing or both. I ended up buying the eTrex (the older brother of the Geko) because it is hard to read whats on the screen when it on the dash of the 4wd.

Think also if you want map capability on it as well. As much I would like to have a maps on the unit, they are not that easy to read and it is always better to carry paper maps with you anyway.

Lastly the one think that I absolutley hate about the eTrex and I think it's the same on the Geko is that Garmin did not bother putting a beeper in it to warn you when you are approaching a waypoint. If you want this then you might want to consider the basic version of the SporTrac by Magellan. If I had to do it again and did not want maps I would probably go with the Megellan.

Happy Navigating

FatAlbert
AnswerID: 38615

Follow Up By: Brian - Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 10:54

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 10:54
srijuth
Thanks for the reply... I have in mind the 201 to buy, mainly due to its ability to be connected to pc, to be used for hiking and 4X4'ing, although more 4x4.
A couple of questions.....
I had assumed that all GPS units had an audible alarm to warn of approaching way points, but you are saying this isn't so? The 201 doesn't beep?
Another assumption I have is that I could either;
A) Load waypoints via pc before going on a trip and provided my info entering is relatively accurate, the GPS should "guide" me there
B) Load waypoints "on-the-fly" so that I can back track the way I came, or re-use the info on a future trip?
Are these functions available on the 201?
Not a problem if you don't have the answers, i will look into it further prior to purchase.
Once again thanks for your response, it has given me food for thought.
Cheers
Brian
FollowupID: 28619

Reply By: FatAlbert - Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 09:01

Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 09:01
Brian,

Sorry for the late reply. The 201 will let you connect to a PC so it is much more versatile.

Bad assumption (I made the same one), not all GPS will give you an audible alarm and I am pretty sure the 201 doesn't either - check it by ringing one of the shops like AusNav. I asked the guy about this when I bought my eTrex and I was suprised that it didn't but only later realised the value of it.

Assumtion [A] is correct. If you use it in Follow Route mode it will "guide" you by popping up a message "Approaching Waypoint XYZ" about 15sec before you get their (based on your current speed). The feature is bloddy useless becase you are usually looking for where to turn and not at you GPS. It works well in the night because the backlight turns on giving a visual indication.

Assumption [B] You can enter waypoints "on the fly" by marking them as you make your route. Use the same as [A] to follow it back to your first waypoint (your point of origin).

FatAlbert
AnswerID: 39154

Sponsored Links