Trip to and flight over Lake Eyre

Hi All,

Will be leaving shortly, heading North for some warm weather. Along the way will visit Lake Eyre South and would like to take a flight over the Lake. Any suggestions as to the best place to pick up a flight and / or which operators are best value.

Thank you in anticipation.

Mike.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mchapo - Thursday, Jul 28, 2011 at 22:47

Thursday, Jul 28, 2011 at 22:47
I was up there recently and took a flight with Wrights Air from William Creek. We took the 2 hr flight which was magnificent. It takes you around the complete lake to all of the feeder streams, the Warburton, the Cooper and the Neales river, was $430 but well worth it. We camped at Coward Springs which isnt too far from William Creek and much more pleasant
AnswerID: 461200

Reply By: Member - Michael O (NSW) - Friday, Jul 29, 2011 at 06:32

Friday, Jul 29, 2011 at 06:32
Earlier this month we flew with Wrights too, but out of Marree. Was well worth the $$

AnswerID: 461205

Reply By: Member - Alex B - Friday, Jul 29, 2011 at 07:59

Friday, Jul 29, 2011 at 07:59
HI Mike,
Definitely give Wright Air a call and line something up.
We Flew out of William Creek, 4 hour flight up to Goyder Lagoon, Mungeranie, Painted Hills - Anna Station and back -Excellent. Not sure how busy it is out there at the moment, but when we were there last year there were people that had been waiting around for up to three day's hoping for a cancellation, fortunately we had pre booked.

Have a great trip
Cheers
Alex
Enjoy everyday, make your own luck & help a few along the way.

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 461209

Reply By: Sigmund - Saturday, Jul 30, 2011 at 08:39

Saturday, Jul 30, 2011 at 08:39
Wrightsair, out of Coober Pedy. Ran over the southern part of the lake, Painted Hills and other terrain in between. CP from the air is even more weird than from the ground.
AnswerID: 461315

Reply By: Dugald S - Saturday, Jul 30, 2011 at 09:49

Saturday, Jul 30, 2011 at 09:49
Wright air is really good but dont stay in William creek if possible,Very nasty publican. Stay in Coward Springs
AnswerID: 461321

Reply By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 30, 2011 at 10:16

Saturday, Jul 30, 2011 at 10:16
Either William Creek or Marree will give you maximum time over the lake as they are closest. If you can do a trip that includes the Painted Hills do so. Realy magnificent.
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 461325

Reply By: RedCherokee - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 16:05

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 16:05
We did Lake Eyre and Painted Hills flight with WrightsAir out of William Creek a couple of weeks ago. Really good - the Painted Hills was possibly more interesting than the lake.

I booked them over the phone about 10 days ahead of time. Not being sure of my itinery, I allowed a spare day in getting there, which I did use up. If I hadn't used it up the plan was to go into the office and see if I could snare an earlier flight.

I agree with those people who say Coward Springs is a nicer spot to stay than William Creek. However, if you have to be at the airport at 7:45am it is a lot less hassle to have spent the night at William Creek.
AnswerID: 461511

Reply By: Member - Michael John T (VIC) - Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 23:54

Monday, Aug 01, 2011 at 23:54
Thank you all for your follow ups I have taken the reco's on board, and appreciate the replies. Taking in the Painted Hills is something I hadn't thought of, I've driven through them in the past and agree they would be spectacular from the air.

Has any body tried GSL Aviation from Maree, I found them on the Web?

Its time for a decision and and making a pre booking befor we leave.

Thanks again

Regards, Mike.
AnswerID: 461564

Sponsored Links