SeriesII Disco no CDL and Cooper STs

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 22:39
ThreadID: 8787 Views:1620 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a Series2 Discovery with no Centre Diff Lock (CDL), it is a 2002 model which cannot be modified to have the CDL activated an instead it relys on the traction control.

Anyway, I have been looking at some new tyres and the Cooper ST's and the Cooper AT's and have been wondering if it worth going for the more aggressive ST tread pattern as it may overcome or maybe help overcome some the problems (I am NOT talking sand-dunes) that I will encounter without a CDL. Is there a relationship here?

I have a preferance for the AT's because the reduced road noise and the better handling in the wet (I have read mixed results of the ST in the wet on various forums

Fat Albert
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: nugget - Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 23:57

Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 23:57
You say you cannot have a CDL actuator fitted, I wonder why because I have a mate with a 2000 model Disco with a CDL actuator fitted by ARB. This has turned his Disco from a bit of a lemon to a bit of a weapon offroad. This also allows him to disengage the traction control which doesn't work well in sand, it seems to slow you down. If for some reason you cannot have one fitted even though it is identical to a 2000 model, I would not recommend Cooper ST's because they seem to chip badly especially in you situation where you could have all the drive going to one wheel before the traction control kicks in. I have read on this forum about this happening on a Disco with Cooper ST's. I think he had them replaced with STT's.

Cheers
AnswerID: 38634

Reply By: cwebb - Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 23:59

Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 23:59
Hi Srijuth,
I think you will find that your Series 2 is capable of having the CDL activated, it just needs the actuator.
Marcus on this forum has had one installed on his 2001 TD5, at a cost from memory of approx $600. I have driven it with the CDL activated and its excellent. I don't think that yours being a 2002 is any different, its still the Series 2. The 2003 specification (which is still a Series 2) came out with the CDL hardware factory fitted, so anyone else with a Series 2 needs to go and spend $600 odd bucks! When the CDL is activated, the Disco's traction control really backs off and only interrupts when really necessary, the steering every so slightly firms up, but it certainly has traction. Hope this helps. Cheers Chris
AnswerID: 38636

Reply By: Aston - Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 01:01

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 01:01
srijuth,

There is no facility to instal CDL in your 2002 as the nose of the transfer case was changed and there is no actuation lever there, nor the internals.

If you get under the car and reach up onto the top of the nose of the case adjacent to the front output drive flange you will find that there is no threaded shaft sticking out with a locknut on it along with three bolts.

Sorry thats the way it is with that model, the 2001 had it and it was totally removed for the 2002.

The only way to get back the CDL is to put an earlier model case.

cheers Aston
AnswerID: 38640

Reply By: Member - Bob - Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 10:43

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 10:43
Check out http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/AussieDiscoveryII/
Do a search on CDL and you will find it all there.
You are right -the later Series II had the CDL nut removed.Bob
AnswerID: 38657

Follow Up By: marcus - Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 13:11

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 13:11
I couldn't believe they have made this modification to the 2002 model over the 2001 but phoned amv who installed my centre diff lock activator and found it to be true that it cannot be fitted to the 2002 model.
cheers mark
FollowupID: 28633

Reply By: Moose - Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 14:31

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 14:31
Unless you want to stick to the black top forget the Cooper STs. They are hopeless off road where any wheel spin occurs. Will lose heaps of chuncks of rubber.
AnswerID: 38672

Sponsored Links