Homebrew

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003 at 23:29
ThreadID: 8789 Views:3332 Replies:10 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Now that I have your interest are there any homebrewers out there lurking about. Nothing to do with 4 Wheel Driving but as a mad homebrewer for 20 years I just thought there might be a few other enthusiests out there as well. I run a homebrew shop here in Bathurst but I am NOT drumming up business. Just would like to touch base with any other homebrewers that check out this forum.
Look forward to a few comments as I am sure that there are a lot of homebrewers out there who are on this forum.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John Russell - Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 03:07

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 03:07
Gidday Brian,
Iv'e been brewing now for about 7 years and had a few failures, however I really enjoy the flavour compared to normal packaged dishwater.
At the end of a day in the back of beyond,there is nothing better than sitting around the camp fire enjoying your own brew.
AnswerID: 38641

Reply By: phil - Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 11:28

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 11:28
Dear Brian,
I have been brewing beer for 30 years. About 2500 litres brewed and drunk!
I used to make up from basic ingredients, but these days I am lazy and use the concentrate in a tin. I am still using the same fermenter and untill recently when I changed to using all stubbys, many of the same bottles with old brand names such as Millers Hi-Lo (who else remembers that)
Phil
AnswerID: 38662

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 12:48

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 12:48
Brian,

Never be too sure homebrewing has nothing to do with 4WDriving. When we were at Millstream NP we enjoyed homebrew beer and gingerbeer made by the campsite hosts. They are based there for 3-4 months every year so needing a few comforts from home, they make their own homebrew in camp using water straight out of the Fortesque River. Wasn't too bad either!

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
http://members.westnet.com.au/flatdog
AnswerID: 38666

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 14:35

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 14:35
Does anyone have a favourite ginger beer recipe that they'd care to shareAllyn
Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen.
AnswerID: 38675

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 14:57

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 14:57
Brian,

I am a brewer also however, since starting this ExplorOz project I have not had a chance to put one down. Gee it has been a long time since I made one. I think I even have one of those all in one cans. Maybe one day!- I need to rebuild my bottle stocks first.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
AnswerID: 38680

Follow Up By: Mike - Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 00:29

Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 00:29
Check out your local restaurant. They are usually only too glad to offload empties.
FollowupID: 28704

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 15:15

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 15:15
hmmmmmmm home brew?
got me thinking i havent made any for 3 years or so all the gear is still here though.
love the pilseners and european styles yummmm.
always a pain to wait for first batch though
have a few (from scratch recipes here ) good one to try again.
tasty topic Brian!1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
2 awestruck kids (dads driving!)
AnswerID: 38684

Reply By: KG - Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 20:05

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 20:05
been brewing for about 10 years... never had a dud beer EXCEPT for the 3 times i've tried to make ginger beer. I've done lagers and stouts and ales (all from a can - call me lazy) without a single bottle blowing up.
Yet every time i've tried to brew ginger beer it ends up like a warzone!
the first time i thought it was the heat (avge daily temp 35+)
the second time was in winter - same exploding glass minefield
and i tried again a few years back - kaboom all over again.
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???

cheers,

KG.

on another note - everyone seems to be moving to kegs - anyone got one of these setups? until i can convince the missus to let me drill a hole into her fridge to bring the line out i'm stuck with bottles.
AnswerID: 38714

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 12:21

Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 12:21
KG,

Never made ginger beer myself but my parents reckon the trick is to use corks rather than caps; that wya you don't loose the bottle if an explosion :-))) occurs. My grandparents always kept their GB in the fireplace (only made it during the warmer months) and family rumour (exaggerated of course) has it there were always corks flying out of the chimney, LOL.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
http://members.westnet.com.au/flatdog
FollowupID: 82653

Reply By: Member- Rox - Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 21:11

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 21:11
Well I am drinking my second big bot Now!!!! Do you know how long it has taken to write this message????? and spelling mistakes!!!!
Have been brewing for 3 years now At home brew shop.
EWED Thursday, 16 May 2002 BOTTLED Friday 24/05/2002
Brew 1 = Pilsener + Accent-1 premium brewing sugar blend + water to 23lt
Comment: Ok, Average

Brew 2 = Malthouse bitter + Accent-1 premium brewing sugar blend + water to 23lt +Pride of Ringwood, Hallertau Finishing Hops (Crown Lager) Some in Plastic Bottles

Brew 5 = ESB extra special stout + Morgan’s roasted black malt + water to 18lt
(Guinness) Comment: (Nice after Time)

BREWED Monday, 15 July 2002 BOTTLED Monday, 22 July 2002

Brew 6 = Malthouse bitter + Accent-1 premium brewing sugar blend + water to 23lt +Pride of Ringwood, Hallertau Finishing Hops (Crown Lager)

Brew 7 = ESB English Bitter Malthouse + Liquid Amber Malt +, Hallertau Finishing Hops + Water to 23 lt (Dogbolter)
Comment: Very nice
BREWED Friday, 2 August 2002 BOTTLED Saturday, 10 August 2002
Brew 8 = Coopers Wheat Beer + Premium extra light dried malt extract 1Kg +, Saaz Finishing Hops + Water to 25 lt (Redback Wheat Beer)

BREWED Thursday, 14 November 2002 BOTTLED Thursday, 21 November
Brew 9 = ESB English Bitter Malthouse + Liquid Amber Malt +, Hallertau Finishing Hops + Water to 23 lt (Dogbolter)

Brew 10 = Malthouse bitter + Accent-1 premium brewing sugar blend + water to 23lt +Pride of Ringwood, Hallertau Finishing Hops (Crown Lager)

BREWED Friday, 22 November 2002 BOTTLED Monday, 2 December 2002
Brew 11 = Coopers India Pale Ale + Light malt + Water to 23 lt
Comment: Very nice

BREWED Tuesday, 18 March 2003 BOTTLED Tuesday, 25 March 2003
Brew 12 = ESB extra special stout + Morgan’s roasted black malt + water to 18lt
(Guinness)

Brew 13 = Coopers India Pale Ale + Light malt + Water to 23 lt

Brew 14 = Coopers Nut-Brown Ale + Amber malt + Water to 23 lt

BREWED Sunday, 6 July 2003 BOTTLED Monday, 14 July 2003
Brew 15 = ESB extra special stout + Morgan’s roasted black malt + water to 18lt
(Guinness)

Brew 16 = Coopers India Pale Ale + Light malt + Water to 23 lt

Brew 17 = Coopers Nut-Brown Ale + Amber malt + Water to 23 lt

After that I need a DRINK!!!!I don't save My daylight
AnswerID: 38723

Reply By: Brian - Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 22:09

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 22:09
Great to hear from you guys and gals in homebrew land. As a very experienced homebrewer one thing you do is never tell anyone that they should make this or that. As I said in my earlier post I run a homebrew shop and the most important thing is to encourage homebrewers and make sure they are happy with what they are making. There is such good product on the market now that homebrewing is pretty well foolproof. The most important thing is to sanatise all your gear and brew at the correct temperatures and you will make excellent beers. As to the question on ginger beer, then from my experience for some reason ginger beer is always fairly gassy. To get around bottles exploding then put your ginger beer in PET bottles. They will take heaps of pressure and no broken glass. I always do my homebrew in PET bottlles when I am travelling. No chance of broken bottles or one exploding while travelling.
I will give the shop a free plug if I am allowed David. The website is www.countrybrewer.com.au
If I am not permitted to put the website on the forum then please remove it. As I said I am not drumming up business but there is an interesting story about the shop in Bathurst and how it came to be.
Good luck to you all and thanks for the feedback. All very interesting reading and if ever in Bathurst there is always a cold homebrew on tap.
AnswerID: 38738

Follow Up By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 23:59

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 23:59
Hi Brian
Did a couple of Brews last year ( still have some under the house )
Whats your thoughts on bottling in green stubbies ?
What size do the PET bottles come in ?

CheersPrado TD Auto
FollowupID: 28703

Follow Up By: Member- Rox - Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 00:29

Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 00:29
Member - Bernie. (Vic), you can use coke bottles and get new lids, thats the cheepest but I also use Plastic Brown bottles 750mls with screw tops at $1.20 eachI don't save My daylight
FollowupID: 82770

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 11:49

Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 11:49
I'm too slack to make any at the moment , but am going to get a still with immersion element for spirits !!
Used to work with a guy who brewed beer into 1.25 litre coke bottles, as he could give it extra poke without the bottles exploding ( if you have ever made dry ice bombs in these bottles you know what i mean !!) He used to have one of these a night. He was a fair alky though.Moo... everyone knows what a Jackaroo looks like :-)
AnswerID: 38779

Sponsored Links