Challenger Electrics Update

Submitted: Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 10:58
ThreadID: 8815 Views:1744 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
All

Further to my previous post about the inadequate wiring in the Challengers (see post 7308 if you could be bothered). In short, plugging a 3-way fridge into the rear 12V socket fried the electrics - this was despite the socket having a 120W rating and the fridge 75W (I know all about the 6mm cable straight from the battery etc).

Anyway, I took the car to Toowong Mitsubishi (Brisbane) for its last free service (got a 20th anniversary sale car with 3yr free service) and started discussing the repeated problems I was having with the rear point. I mentioned that the wiring was obviously not up to the job and I thought they should upgrade it under warranty. I thought it was a long shot, but nonetheless tried. The service manager said he would contact Mitsu head office and let me know the outcome.

To cut a long story short, I now have a twin 6mm cable running direct from the battery with a 30A inline fuse to both the existing 12V plug and a new Hella plug (they would not go for an Anderson plug as it was rated higher than the existing point) all under warranty. Apparently the Japanese did not realise that Australians run fridges in the back of their 4WD's.

Anyway if you have a Challenger and are having problems with your 12V outlets............

Cheers

Tim

PS A big rap to Toowong Mitsu on this matter!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 17:16

Friday, Nov 28, 2003 at 17:16
120 watts is 120 watts, doesn't matter if you run a fridge or not. Are Japanese watts different to Australian watts.I may be mad but I'm not crazy
Hooroo
Ray
AnswerID: 38827

Reply By: Camper - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 00:36

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 00:36
Yep I'm fond of our Challenger, but when the camper- trailer with double rear light setup is on behind I couldn't use the hazard warning lights because it blew the 10 amp fuse. This was a problem because I used them to stop in my street and back the trailer into a tight drive figuring that it at least asked approaching motorists for a bit of slack to finish the manouvre. Un load the rig and next bay hurrying to work the indicators don't flash - mildly embarrassing.
The dealer suggested using a 15 amp fuse which did work after I had replaced one set of trailer indicator lights with 5w globes
Seems as if Mr Bitchi in Japan is saving money by scrimping on the electrics
Your warrantee bit is heartening though

Cheers, Camper
AnswerID: 39242

Reply By: Glenno - Thursday, Dec 18, 2003 at 18:24

Thursday, Dec 18, 2003 at 18:24
I upgraded the wiring and kept the standard mitsubishi lighther socket. After about 8 hours on the road the constant 120W being drawn melted the plastic in the socket and it shorted out. A hella plug fixed the problem.

Cheers,
AnswerID: 40566

Sponsored Links