What can you claim for when travelling??

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 04, 2011 at 13:48
ThreadID: 88274 Views:2545 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived

We just wondered what you can claim for when you're travelling?

We have 2 children, one is 6 years old and will be home schooled through distance education and the other is 3 years old.

We know about Centrelink/Familiy Assistance, but just wondered if there was anything else that we could claim?

Nige & Rachel
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: snoopyone - Thursday, Aug 04, 2011 at 13:56

Thursday, Aug 04, 2011 at 13:56
Why not ask Centrelink they are usually helpful.

If you DONT OWN a house anywhere you can get rent assistance.

AnswerID: 461795

Reply By: Rob! - Thursday, Aug 04, 2011 at 14:51

Thursday, Aug 04, 2011 at 14:51
If you arew working and paying tax you might be able to claim some school items from July 1. Not sure how that affects home schooling, but if they were at school for 1 day in the six month period then they qualify.
AnswerID: 461797

Reply By: member - mazcan - Thursday, Aug 04, 2011 at 15:21

Thursday, Aug 04, 2011 at 15:21
hi clare and blue
why not ask the ATO or an accountant that would be first hand imfo based on your situation rather than someone else's unqualified version/ guesstament
just my thoughts better to get correct imfo than wrong or misleading imfo
cheers barry
AnswerID: 461799

Follow Up By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Thursday, Aug 04, 2011 at 23:17

Thursday, Aug 04, 2011 at 23:17
If you're working your way around Aus, surely you could claim "Travel Expenses". That would cover fuel, accommodation etc....

Maybe you could get the tax department to subsidise the whole trip...?

My mate just bought a new caravan...an "onsite office" for his trade business.... It's a big van, so of course he needs a 200 Sahara to tow it...hmmmm "...thanks again, Mr Taxman..."

I'm in the wrong job... :-(


FollowupID: 735573

Reply By: TassieD - Friday, Aug 05, 2011 at 10:54

Friday, Aug 05, 2011 at 10:54
If your 6yo is doing distance education via the internet you can claim that through the education tax refund at the end of the financial year as well as school books, paper, glue etc. If you are mailing in schoolwork that is also a school expense.
If you are working your way around then travelling expenses from 1 job to the next, phone calls about work and a % of your mobile plan.
This booklet may help. http://www.bantacs.com.au/booklets/Claim_Your_Trip_Around_Australia_Booklet.pdf
AnswerID: 461880

Sponsored Links