Patrol Turbo - Oil leak

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 07, 2011 at 02:30
ThreadID: 88325 Views:6380 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have just had my (Sep)2005 Patrol serviced - 90,000km. 3lt TD
The mechanic has said the turbo has a small oil leak at the back ???.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so I appreciate your feed back on what happened, what action you took and HOW MUCH did it cost.

Also is this the beginning of the end?

I'm obviously not very happy as its not old, has low kms, I have always looked after it (regular services etc).

I really want to keep it as it is a great car off road and on road. Its setup exactly how we want it and I really cant be bothered starting all over again.

Cheers and Hooroo

PS - Unfortunately I don't have a mechanical bone in my body :(
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: snoopyone - Sunday, Aug 07, 2011 at 08:32

Sunday, Aug 07, 2011 at 08:32
Ask the question on the Patrol forum where you will get definitive answers from owners and knowledgeable people
AnswerID: 462012

Reply By: time waster - Sunday, Aug 07, 2011 at 09:40

Sunday, Aug 07, 2011 at 09:40
Hi Hooroo,

Dad has the Navara 3lt from new with 250k on the clock and has always had some oil around the turbo, nissan said a few years ago that it was a hose that needed replacing for a few hundred but never did it. The leak is not big enough to drip.

Christian
AnswerID: 462018

Reply By: fisho64 - Sunday, Aug 07, 2011 at 10:26

Sunday, Aug 07, 2011 at 10:26
Its probably nothing but what did the mechanic say to do?
Just remember also that the turbo area is the one location on the engine where there are Metal surfaces hot enough to flash engine oil
AnswerID: 462022

Reply By: Member - Christopher P (NSW) - Sunday, Aug 07, 2011 at 15:18

Sunday, Aug 07, 2011 at 15:18
mate i have a turbo motor going into my old girl, turbo needs to be rebuilt, bought a rebuild kit off ebay for it, cost me 75 dollars, see if the patrol forum has turbo rebuild information, and see if there's a kit for it. Pretty basic to rebuild and easy enough, to do.

watch you tube video of turbo rebuilds a few times and you get the idea.
AnswerID: 462049

Reply By: Member - Bentaxle - Sunday, Aug 07, 2011 at 19:00

Sunday, Aug 07, 2011 at 19:00
Hooroo
Unfortunately the 3L TD Patrol turbos are prone to blowing a bit of oil (according to Mr Nissan). I've found with mine that should any rubber hoses that connect onto a metal fitting will leak oil after they have been disturbed, and will continue to do so no matter how tight the hose clamp is. To fix it the hose connection has to be separated and BOTH the inside of the rubber hose and the outer portion of the metal fitting have to be wiped clean using Acetone or metho or similar solvent and allowed to dry before rejoining, the resulting seal will not leak and is almost impossible to separate in the future.
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 462062

Sponsored Links